cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to disable NVME in BIOS ?

empleat
Level 10
This is really annoying, what if you want to isolate 2 systems and you can't disable NVME? Is someone doing anything to fix this?! It is really important, to be able to do that and pretty basic feature. Or what if you go to online bank, you want to disable all of your disks! I heard ASUS years ignoring this...
29 REPLIES 29

The answer is NO. A few other people asked this before. They also want to be able to install independent operating systems on two drives (Not dual boot), However, they also want to disable each drive so that the other OS can't see the other drive.

empleat wrote:
How is that gonna help, for example if you want to install Ubuntu dual boot, you have to disable every other disk. Or in case online-banking useless. I heard other reasons too, there is a lot of technical reasons, why this is actually needed. So i read posts ranging from 2013, that you can't disable it, is like wtf... Anyway, i posted more to raise awareness, than anything, even i doubt it is gonna do anything...

I wouldn't buy actually asus mobo again, because of this...

What other Motherboard manufacturer supports this in BIOS?

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:

The Lenovo P620 w/ ThreadRipper Pro allows disabling NVMe drives. I have a P620 and use the feature to switch between two different NVMe drives.

Disabling individual NVMe drives allows completely hiding an NVMe drive from the operating system, without the added complexity or overhead of a virtual machine. You get the full bandwidth of the PCIe drive.

I'm sympathetic to the OP. Responses range from informative to trolling.

I'm troubleshooting an installation with slow performance on the P620. I installed a second NVMe drive with a clean OS and verified the performance issue did not occur with a clean install. Opening the case and removing an NVMe drive takes time and the thermal tape on the NVMe heatsink always has a choice of sticking to the drive or the heatsink when removing it.

Figuring out where the performance issue lies on the Lenovo P620 was a piece of cake, thanks to this feature. Now I'm trying to do the same thing with a ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard.

Board Monkey wrote:
The Lenovo P620 w/ ThreadRipper Pro allows disabling NVMe drives. I have a P620 and use the feature to switch between two different NVMe drives.

Disabling individual NVMe drives allows completely hiding an NVMe drive from the operating system, without the added complexity or overhead of a virtual machine. You get the full bandwidth of the PCIe drive.

I'm troubleshooting an installation with slow performance on the P620. I installed a second NVMe drive with a clean OS and verified the performance issue did not occur with a clean install. Opening the case and removing an NVMe drive takes time and the thermal tape on the NVMe heatsink always has a choice of sticking to the drive or the heatsink when removing it.

Figuring out where the performance issue lies on the Lenovo P620 was a piece of cake, thanks to this feature. Now I'm trying to do the same thing with a ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard.

There you go, you get what you pay for. Spend $1000s and you'll get your wish.

Board Monkey wrote:

If Lenovo can do it, I don't see why it can't be done by everyone.

This is a handy feature I need often, and it is a royal PITA to remove the NMVe drive when I need to. In fact, I have a second system set up just for this purpose.

Hopefully Asus reads this thread and implements this feature. Although this thread is kind of trashed, so it just may get overlooked.

I'm running into this issue, and this was one of the first threads that appeared on an online search. Searching "asus x470 disable nvme" reveals about a dozen more threads requesting a similar feature. Since a specific scenario was requested, here's mine:

I have an ASUS PRIME-X470 PRO motherboard. I have a single NVMe SSD installed, and two SATA drives. I have an existing Windows installation on the NVMe SSD, an unrelated Linux install on one SATA drive, and the other SATA drive is clean.

I want to install Windows 11 to the clean SATA drive. Windows 10 mucks up existing EFI partitions if it sees them during installation, and to avoid this in the past, I simply disconnected the drive or disabled it in BIOS prior to starting the Windows install so it wouldn't be aware of the drive(s) existing.

With the PRIME-X470 PRO, disabling the entire SATA controller is easy in BIOS. There's no option in the BIOS to disable either individual NVMe drives nor the entire NVMe controller. And simply removing the NVMe SSD is more of a pain than I care for (giant air cooler + GPU in the way; particularly with this motherboard, I have to have the GPU in the first slot for 3.0@16X, and the NVMe in the first M.2 slot for 3.0@4X, and it's an odd decision that all of those hot components have to be right next to each other for max speed).

So it seems this is still an issue. I had a problem over a year ago with a similar scenario.
I sometimes like to do a fresh install of windows. However I dont want to just blow away my current setup in case I miss some piece of data thats buried in appdata, etc. So I like to install to a fresh partition for testing. then after a few months, remove the old install. As of now windows will still update the original bootloader, so when I do remove that previous install, it breaks the current one. I like each drive to have its own boot info. This is where disabling drives with existing Windows installs comes into play. Since you cant, I have to physically open my case, unscrew the nvme drive, remove the drive, then proceed with the installation, go back and reinstall the drive. Very tedious vs other motherboards I've used where I could just toggle off a specific drive. Or at a minimum I could just pop out the sata or power to the drive.

geneo wrote:

Irrelevant... Even if everyone jumped across cliff, would that be reason for you too?!

What if you want to isolate 2 systems? There are many reasons you need to disable all disks... And with NVME it is not like you can yank a SATA cable... But ASUS doesn't care about their customers... It is so stupid and annoying you can't disable this... You would need literally 5 computers for everything...

So many lame noobs questioning the OP about why does he want to disable NVME.
This has so many real life uses that it is useless to ask WHY does HE WANT. The question is why asus did not implement YET!
Since all my IBM-XT computers, then IBM AT 286, 386...
It is a feature so old on bios as the hard disks, since this is the first time in history that you can not disable a drive!!!!

Maybe he does want to save the disk power hours on usage?
Maybe he does care about privacy and does not want the operational system to have access to that?
If you have veracrypt in one of 2 windows 10 installs, for example, it does break the second one.
Maybe he just wants to physically isolate one system from another?

It does not matter his reasons, to turn off a disk in bios is a MUST HAVE feature, and it is unheard-of imbeciles saying he does not have to, because THEY do not have use for this function.

What is this person problem???
"You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. "

HE SAID HE WANTS TO DISABLE A NVME DISK IN BIOS LIKE ANYONE ALWAYS COULD DISABLE ANY HARD DISK IN BIOS IN ALL HOME COMPUTER HISTORY!!!!
It is not acceptable this function is not present in BIOS, and i would like an answer from Asus, if it is possible or physically impossible due to some noob engineer.

I also had a lot of trouble with a dual boot, the encrypted windows sees the unencrypted, in the end some bad practice of microsoft changes something in the encrypted boot and breaks everything, and you can not use any boot fix tool, because they do not have an option to put a password and unencrypt disk.

If someone with a 2 digits iq does not understand something so simple, do not post in public. People that have 1 disk for OS and another for data and use computer to play LOL should not even comment here.

And people that come here to be a leftist militant, talking about elitism should be banned from the forum.
This place is not your political forum, kid.

Virtuo wrote:
So many lame noobs questioning the OP about why does he want to disable NVME.
This has so many real life uses that it is useless to ask WHY does HE WANT. The question is why asus did not implement YET!
Since all my IBM-XT computers, then IBM AT 286, 386...
It is a feature so old on bios as the hard disks, since this is the first time in history that you can not disable a drive!!!!

Maybe he does want to save the disk power hours on usage?
Maybe he does care about privacy and does not want the operational system to have access to that?
If you have veracrypt in one of 2 windows 10 installs, for example, it does break the second one.
Maybe he just wants to physically isolate one system from another?

It does not matter his reasons, to turn off a disk in bios is a MUST HAVE feature, and it is unheard-of imbeciles saying he does not have to, because THEY do not have use for this function.

What is this person problem???
"You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. "

HE SAID HE WANTS TO DISABLE A NVME DISK IN BIOS LIKE ANYONE ALWAYS COULD DISABLE ANY HARD DISK IN BIOS IN ALL HOME COMPUTER HISTORY!!!!
It is not acceptable this function is not present in BIOS, and i would like an answer from Asus, if it is possible or physically impossible due to some noob engineer.

I also had a lot of trouble with a dual boot, the encrypted windows sees the unencrypted, in the end some bad practice of microsoft changes something in the encrypted boot and breaks everything, and you can not use any boot fix tool, because they do not have an option to put a password and unencrypt disk.

If someone with a 2 digits iq does not understand something so simple, do not post in public. People that have 1 disk for OS and another for data and use computer to play LOL should not even comment here.

And people that come here to be a leftist militant, talking about elitism should be banned from the forum.
This place is not your political forum, kid.

Exactly what I was thinking while reading the thread. I am happy to see that some one explained my feelings better than me 😄 Its an old post but I was looking for a way to disable it and started to read this thread. Honestly I was too lazy to sign in but while I kept reading it made me sick how people reacted. He is asking a damn simple question. It does not matter why he is trying to do that. Anyway you really explained my feeling better than me. I was so mad and just signed in to react this old post.