cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Wifi antenna

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
So i'm using the default wifi antenna that came with the board. Cellphone (Pixel 3 XL) and PC are on the same 5Ghz network, windows wifi icon is completely white. Signal app on phone indicates around -67 dbm strength. The current maximum my internet connection will allow has a theoretical 300Mbps limit down. My phone nearly maxes that out (287-290), while PC doesn't go above 200 tops (usually between 170 and 190)

Using wifi drivers that come through Intel Driver & Support assistant.

Question now is, would asus drivers make a difference (wireless ones) even if they're outdated (21.40.1.4 at the time of writing) vs assistant reporting 21.40.2.2 installed. Router is a netgear XR500.

So i'm leaning towards the fact that the antenna is not capable of utilizing max speed available. Anyone have any recommendations for wifi / bt antenna that are capable of achieving max speed possible? Must be available in EU (Belgium). I don't mind shopping on amazon.co.uk, but US is no go this time. Returning an item wouldn't be cheap if it wasn't able to get the max speed.

ISP has the capability of gigabit speed, but there's no point in going for that if my PC signal cap will remain at 180. Powerplug ethernet adapters are not an option, cuts speed in half due to age of electric network (rather old house)

Initially interested only in antenna's themselves i can screw on the board's connections. Don't need/want ones that come with an adapter. Am willing to consider if perhaps i can screw them on the board itself and have a "spare" card that way, or if i absolutely have to, to gain possible gigabit speeds

edit 1:

Relevant info on the router:

Technical Specifications

• AC2600 (800Mbps @2.4GHz—256QAM support +1733Mbps @5GHz 11ac)†
• Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi - Tx/Rx 4x4 (2.4GHz)+ 4x4 (5GHz)
• 4x4 11ac 80MHz + 2x2-160/80+80MHz
• Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO)

bonus would be Bluetooth support on it, but that's entirely optional. Priority is network speed

edit 2:

Checked motherboard specs. Is this the problem?

Gaming connectivity: Intel 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support

is that the problem?
0 REPLIES 0