Level 7
CPU: i9-9900k + EK Supremacy waterblock
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE
RAM: 4x8GB Kingston HyperX Predator RGB DDR4-3600
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti + EK Vector waterblock
M.2 Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo, 2TB Intel 660p
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Peripherals: Vive PCIe Wireless adapter

The system has been running for about a month on air, and on water since last week.
During this time it was working flawlessly, until today.
I was in the main menu of Overwatch waiting to go in game, when my screen went black followed by a no signal message.
In the background I could still hear people talking on discord so the computer was still responsive, albeit no display output.
I quickly realized that people couldn't hear me while I could hear them, and that my USB keyboard and headset had turned off.
I tried turning my screen off, and heard a device disconnected sound from Windows, and a connected sound after turning it back but still no signal.
I swapped the displayport cable around on my 2080 Ti a few times, but because this didn't have any effect either I decided to hold down the power button (my case doesn't have a reset button).

After the PC turned off, I pressed the power button once more to turn it back on. All the fans ran at 100% shortly (as they always did when booting) followed by them slowing down to normal speeds and.. nothing.
No display output whatsoever, and after a few seconds the RGB on my RAM came on (this always happens, and they turn back off once Windows is loaded) but that was it. USB Keyboard wasn't lighting up either as it normally does.

Held the power button once again, turned the PC on once again, and the same thing happened. The only thing I noticed is that the POST code indicator says 00.
None of the LEDs near the 24 pin connector are lit up (CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT), and the reset button on the motherboard itself does not do anything. Only way to power off is to hold the power button or pull the plug

Things I've tried since without any results:
- Unplugging AC power for a few minutes
- Unplugging all cables except power
- Holding the CLEAR CMOS button on the IO shield, which is lit up green when the PC has power, until the light went off
- Switching the MemOK_II switch from On to Off and back
- Putting the latest BIOS from the website (Version 0602 2018/10/31, which I already had installed when I first booted a month ago) on a USB stick, renamed it to M11C.CAP and pressing the BIOS flashback button on the IO shield, which started blinking blue and increasing in frequency a few times, turning off after a minute or two

Due to the fact that the system is watercooled it's not possible to remove any components without draining the entire loop first, other than the RAM, M.2 Storage and Vive Wireless PCIe card. I don't think this will change anything however I'll try it tomorrow. From some quick searching around the internet however, most people seem to suggest it's either the CPU or Motherboard dying. Bent pins seem unlikely as the CPU has been in it's socket for nearly a month now, and I don't see the CPU LED near the 24pin connector light up either as other people are experiencing. I have no other compatible CPU to test with.
9 REPLIES 9

mdzcpa
Level 12
wisse.aarts wrote:

The system has been running for about a month on air, and on water since last week.
I was in the main menu of Overwatch waiting to go in game, when my screen went black followed by a no signal message.
In the background I could still hear people talking on discord so the computer was still responsive, albeit no display output.
I quickly realized that people couldn't hear me while I could hear them, and that my USB keyboard and headset had turned off.
I tried turning my screen off, and heard a device disconnected sound from Windows, and a connected sound after turning it back but still no signal.
I swapped the displayport cable around on my 2080 Ti a few times, but because this didn't have any effect either I decided to hold down the power button (my case doesn't have a reset button).

After the PC turned off, I pressed the power button once more to turn it back on. All the fans ran at 100% shortly (as they always did when booting) followed by them slowing down to normal speeds and.. nothing.
No display output whatsoever, and after a few seconds the RGB on my RAM came on (this always happens, and they turn back off once Windows is loaded) but that was it. USB Keyboard wasn't lighting up either as it normally does.

Held the power button once again, turned the PC on once again, and the same thing happened. The only thing I noticed is that the POST code indicator says 00.
None of the LEDs near the 24 pin connector are lit up (CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT), and the reset button on the motherboard itself does not do anything. Only way to power off is to hold the power button or pull the plug

- Holding the CLEAR CMOS button on the IO shield, which is lit up green when the PC has power, until the light went off
- Putting the latest BIOS from the website (Version 0602 2018/10/31, which I already had installed when I first booted a month ago) on a USB stick, renamed it to M11C.CAP and pressing the BIOS flashback button on the IO shield, which started blinking blue and increasing in frequency a few times, turning off after a minute or two

Due to the fact that the system is watercooled it's not possible to remove any components without draining the entire loop first, other than the RAM, M.2 Storage and Vive Wireless PCIe card. I don't think this will change anything however I'll try it tomorrow. From some quick searching around the internet however, most people seem to suggest it's either the CPU or Motherboard dying. Bent pins seem unlikely as the CPU has been in it's socket for nearly a month now, and I don't see the CPU LED near the 24pin connector light up either as other people are experiencing. I have no other compatible CPU to test with.

Do you have a spare PSU laying around that you could route your cables to your hardware without disassembly? Might be a PSU going out as well. Have you checked very carefully for any leakage from the loop? Unfortunately if its not the PSU you might be stuck tearing things down.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As above, test with another power supply unit if possible, however, you'll likely need to strip the loop down. Given the circumstances, I would also investigate for any leaks.

If no joy, drain the loop and reseat the CPU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
As above, test with another power supply unit if possible, however, you'll likely need to strip the loop down. Given the circumstances, I would also investigate for any leaks.

If no joy, drain the loop and reseat the CPU.

I unplugged the Vive Wireless PCIe card and my GPU (soft tubing had just enough flex) but the same issue persists.
I have another 850W power supply that's currently in my old build, I'll give it a try with that.

There also doesn't appear to be any leaks (in fact I still had paper towels in the case when it broke)

Phillyflyer
Level 10
wisse.aarts wrote:

Only a few things that would give you the 00 error code...PSU..CPU or the motherboard...I'm more inclined to think CPU/MB...only way to find out for sure is to swap the chip out with another known working chip...that should easily give you the answer...if all boots fine...you know it's the chip...in not..it's the board.....last time it happened to me...board was fine...chip had died.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

The problem turned out to be one half of the 24 pin ATX connector being loose in the PSU, all fixed now

wisse.aarts wrote:
The problem turned out to be one half of the 24 pin ATX connector being loose in the PSU, all fixed now

That was an easy fix...glad to see all things sorted out in a positive way for you
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

rjbarker
Level 11
That what I was going to mention to check first...ALL power connections....including GPU PCI-E cables....always look for the obvious first 😉

mdzcpa
Level 12
Yep. Ever since these modular PSUs started appearing a few years back, checking those connections needs to be on the short list of first things to look for. I've seen quite a few machines "go down" for a loose cable connector at the PSU.

mdzcpa wrote:
Yep. Ever since these modular PSUs started appearing a few years back, checking those connections needs to be on the short list of first things to look for. I've seen quite a few machines "go down" for a loose cable connector at the PSU.

Yes I had the same thing last year after cleaning my loop and re-assembling....no SLi and 1 GPU not being detected in either Windows or BIOS...took me awhile scratching my head....then realized one of of the PCI-E power cables (4 in total for 2 GPu's) had come "slightly loose" from the the psu ...pushed it in...voila!!!