Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8086k - Z370-i - 4000mhz Ram

ftln46
Level 9
Hi All,

Im a new poster here, just set up the following rig :

Intel Core i7 8086K @ 5.00GHz Delidded @1.2v - Asus ROG Z370 Strix - Trident Z 4000mhz CL19 2x16GB - NZXT MANTA BLACK/RED - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID 0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Anyway for the life of me I cannot get my 2 x 16 gb sticks of Trident Z CL19 4000mhz to run @ XMP 4000mhz, the best I can get is 3700mhz @ CL19.

I've tried starting from scratch (no cpu overclock) after a clear cmos and set xmp and manually the timings then worked my way up to 3700mhz but anything above this speed and the pc bootloops (doesnt even try to load windows), I think its doing memory training but fails and after a couple of restarts it asks me to press F1 to load the bios. I also raided voltage on the sticks to 1.4v and vccio / sa to 1.225 but doesnt do a thing.

So with the sticks @ 3700mhz I have tightened the timings to CL16-16-16-36 (tRFC at 440) and these pass all benchmarks, H.265 benchmark is what I use for stability testing, if I try CL15 then I get a blue screen 30 seconds into the run.

Thinking that I may have a weak CPU I got a mate to test my cpu and memory on his rig and it has no issue booting with XMP 4000mhz (bios 1602).

So can anybody help me get higher bandwidth ?
Bios is 1002.

The memory kit I have is on the Asus QVL list for my board tested @4000mhz (second to last on the 4000mhz list near the bottom) : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z370-I_GAMING/Z370-I_memQVL0702.pdf?_ga=2.3055...

Thanks in advance guys 🙂

P.S. I know higher bandwidth can become pointless because of the looser timings, but I would at least like to try and see how they perform at the advertised xmp settings...

40 REPLIES 40

confu wrote:
I'm having exact same problem. I also have 3600C15 kit from G.SKill and can'get 3600C15 to work no matter what. Always getting errors on Karhu Ramtest. My motherboard is Z370-F Strix (and cpu 8700k) though. 3200C14 works fine but 3600C15 seems to be impossible no matter what settings I change. G.Skill would rma my mem kit but I really don't know anymore if it's my ram or motherboard/cpu since reading these topics here.

Your only gonna find out by testing your ram cpu on another board.

NarfTV wrote:
Well i tested two of these https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz kits in two different formula boards and XMP just doesnt work no matter what you do its not going to be stable, tested all bios versions, adjusted all voltage settings it doesnt work stable with the speed. This kit is in the Asus QVL for the Formula but not in G.Skills. I drove 2hours to a friend to check if my CPU and KIT's XMP profile would work on his HeroX (which is in G.Skills QVL) and it works stable flawlessly 10000% coverage with Karhu Ramtest didnt even had to adjust anything. Explanation please?

Since the Z370 platforms memory controller is in the CPU chip is sounds like it might be your friends CPU that's better, not his motherboard. It's just a guesstimate ofc. you can't really rule out these things unless you have several RAM kits, several motherboards and several CPUs.

Carbonicdk wrote:
Since the Z370 platforms memory controller is in the CPU chip is sounds like it might be your friends CPU that's better, not his motherboard. It's just a guesstimate ofc. you can't really rule out these things unless you have several RAM kits, several motherboards and several CPUs.

He used his own cpu and ram on another motherboard and got a much higher speed. So all points to motherboard crapping out.

Carbonicdk wrote:

You didnt read correctly, i used MY CPU and MY RAM in his MOTHERBOARD.

NarfTV wrote:
I think its the same reason why my board gets 3600CL15 on the QVL, speeds just arent guaranteed. As long as the stick works and was tested it gets into the Asus QVL. G.Skill QVL is much more enlightened.

Now where have I heard that before? The QVL at G.SKILL seems to be right on the money for every last board that Asus makes.

ftln46
Level 9
So is Asus QVL just stick some 4000 xmp memory in the board and see if it boots on stock settings 2133mhz ?
Or do they at least activate the XMP profile and see if it boots at stock with XMP on ?

Menthol
Level 14
Something wrong in Denmark, that is one of the best memory kits available, I own 2 of those and they will clock as high as any kit I own.
Have you tried clearing CMOS, some bios setting don't always clear until a full clear CMOS

Menthol wrote:
Something wrong in Denmark, that is one of the best memory kits available, I own 2 of those and they will clock as high as any kit I own.
Have you tried clearing CMOS, some bios setting don't always clear until a full clear CMOS

Yep, this is what I have done so far :

Cmos cleared
Started with default bios setting
Set XMP
No Boot, No windows loading screen
After a few minutes mothorboard boots and asks me to press F1 to configure the bios
Shutdown
Clear CMOS
Boot to bios
Set overclock to manual
disable MCE
Set cpu voltage to 1.25 Manual & VCCIO/SA set to 1.225
Manual Ram timings 19-19-19-39
Set memory speed to 3400
Boot = OK
Restart to bios & set memory to 3700
Boot = OK
Restart to bios & set memory to 3766
Boot = KO

Tested same cpu and memory on xcode and no issues booting from default bios with memory at xmp 4000

ftln46 wrote:
Yep, this is what I have done so far :

Cmos cleared
Started with default bios setting
Set XMP
No Boot, No windows loading screen
After a few minutes mothorboard boots and asks me to press F1 to configure the bios
Shutdown
Clear CMOS
Boot to bios
Set overclock to manual
disable MCE
Set cpu voltage to 1.25 Manual & VCCIO/SA set to 1.225
Manual Ram timings 19-19-19-39
Set memory speed to 3400
Boot = OK
Restart to bios & set memory to 3700
Boot = OK
Restart to bios & set memory to 3766
Boot = KO

Tested same cpu and memory on xcode and no issues booting from default bios with memory at xmp 4000

lets wait for z390 together 😉

accutronitis
Level 7
I'm finally running my ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming with the 5G OC Profile BUT with the CPU voltage set to 1.280 and the XMP 4000Mhz profile with 3 sticks of GSkill DDR4 TridentZ 4000Mhz 4GB each after I updated my motherboard with the 2001 bios and the ME_Intel_v11.8.65.3590 and now it running with no probs, I don't know if those updates had anything to do with it or not?