cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5mins Boot Time. Tried everything(?). Install order after Windows reinstall?

izakaya
Level 7
Hi!

I recently built my first computer, and it's been running great so far, but I've got a tiny issue regarding the startup/boot time. It takes between 5mins 10secs and 5mins 30secs for Windows to reach the login screen. Always. Regardless.
The issue wasn't there the first couple of weeks, and I've searched online and tried countless things to resolve this strange behaviour, but to no avail.
Once I've logged into Windows everything runs smooth as butter. FYI: Shutting down the computer takes around 2secs.

Issue:
1. I press the Power button on the case.
2. It takes around 4 seconds before I see the "Press Del if...", which goes away after 1sec.
3. Then the Windows Logo pops up together with the small dots beneath, showing it's loading. There is however no Disk Activity going on (based on the Disk Activity Light on the front of the case, which I've made sure works). This "Loading" thing takes anywhere from 5mins 10secs to 5mins 30secs each time the computer boots in any way, whether it's: Reboot, Boot from Shut Down, Boot from Shut Down with PSU Off for 10mins, etc.

Things I've done/tried (not necessarily in the following order):
1. Checked Event Viewer - Nothing wrong there.
2. Task Manager - Nothing wrong there.
3. Installed/updated GPU drivers using DDU software.
4. Installed/updated all the hardware drivers from the Asus site (most drivers in Device Manager are still Windows' own).
5. Updated to Bios 1003 properly (Reset settings with F5 > cleared CMOS > updated to 1003 > Reset settings with F5 > Save Profile > etc. The issue was there before the update and everything's been running fine after the update as well, except for the boot thing).
6. Removed all USB connections.
7. Updated, Uninstalled and Reinstalled the few programs I had installed initially.
8. Had the major updates for Windows 10 x64 since Day 1, and every day manually checked and downloaded any available updates in Windows Update .
9. Changed a few things in the registry to delay Windows Update/Defender from trying to reach the internet via Ethernet/Wifi.
10. Firewall settings.
11. Removed memory sticks.
12. Performed memory tests - 100% fine.
13: Performed storage device tests - 100% fine.
14. Performed lots of changes back and forth in Bios (for example: MCE, XMP, Sata Connections and AHCI, Legacy USB, NVMe UEFI Mode on/off, etc, etc).
15. Latest firmware for everything.
16. Disabled/Removed most things in Device Manager, a few at a time.
17. Pagefile on/off.
18. Let Windows Update automatically install drivers yes/no.
19. Checked Power Settings > What buttons do > Show greyed-out options > There was no "Turn on Fast Boot" button there (also checked registry to make sure Hibernate is actually Off, which it is).
20. Used Aure Remove Tool.
21. Fast boot on/off.
22. Memory fast boot option thing in Bios on/off.
23. Only ever really adjusted DRAM to the proper 3600MHz with 1.35v (besides the XMP and MCE on/off, which I mentioned earlier).
24. nVME is the only storage drive I have and is working as it should (speeds are fine, Gen. 3 x4, etc)
25. The Intel "vulnerability" program states that the system is Not vulnerable (so all needed updates for that went fine).

I'm pretty sure I've forgotten to mention at least 5 more things I've done or tried, but yeah.

And while I haven't had the slightest problem with Anything so far, unlike some people here that have reported issues with Bios, Aura and various other programs, I'm considering reinstalling Windows 10 Pro x64 to see if I can get rid of this annoying boot issue. Maybe a Windows Update that ended up modifying something it shouldn't have? 😕
Or should I perhaps just not reinstall Windows, seeing as I'm not having any issues with anything at the moment?

If I do reinstall Windows 10 Pro x64, does anyone know in which order I should install everything?
Windows (with no internet access) > Chipset > Bios (although I'm already at 1003) > GPU drivers > Rest of the relevant ones on the Asus-Motherboard site > Turn on internet and start getting all the updates until there's no update left to get?
(I'm also assuming that it's fine to use the Microsoft generic/standard/recommended drivers for everything one can't find drivers for on the Asus-Motherboard site?)

Thank you very much for reading this and I'm sorry for having made it so long 😕
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, I would do the clean install I think...just make sure only the target drive is connected when you do the install...connect other drives after.

Install...chipset...MEI...LAN...video...then whatever else you need plus windows updates you can get online...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah, I would do the clean install I think...just make sure only the target drive is connected when you do the install...connect other drives after.

Install...chipset...MEI...LAN...video...then whatever else you need plus windows updates you can get online...

I'll reinstall Windows and follow your instructions 🙂
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, Mr Saknussemm, it's greatly appreciated!