cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.2ghz 9900k asus z390 maximus xi extreme

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Finally got around to getting the asus z390 maximus xi extreme board up and running....wanted to share inital resulsts.....vrm temps are a non issue with this board (2.5 HRS PRIME 95 ) and would guess the same with all the rog boards despite all the negative discussion on the topic....reviews are reviews..thats it !!… having the board hands on and seeing the results is what counts !! ...love the board !!
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D
63 REPLIES 63

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

rjbarker
Level 11
All my ger including MIXE and 9900K presently sitting on my bench...going to bench test it first prior to installing into my Corsair 900D and adding all the WC'ing goodies 🙂

with this card I can not even have 5000 ghz stable on all the cores ... something escapes me. You can help me?
sorry for my English...

bustinex wrote:
with this card I can not even have 5000 ghz stable on all the cores ... something escapes me. You can help me?
sorry for my English...

you might have to wait for another 20 years to get 5000 GHz, although I am just guessing. Moore's law states that CPU manufacturers can make a CPU clock speed that doubles every 2 years because they can double the amount of transistors for the same size silicon chip, we are currently at 5GHz so you do the maths on how many years it will take to get from 5GHz to 5000GHz.

With jokes aside, you need to give more details such as motherboard [although you said "this card" so I guess you mean that you have a ROG Maximus XI Extreme such as the OP mentioned], CPU, RAM and PSU etc. What voltages you have tried would be very helpful.

What I have seen from reading posts not everyone can get a stable OC of 5GHz with an i9 9900k with the ROG Maximus XI series of motherboards. It depends on the CPU quality, and cooling system mostly.

XYchromosone wrote:
you might have to wait for another 20 years to get 5000 GHz, although I am just guessing. Moore's law states that CPU manufacturers can make a CPU clock speed that doubles every 2 years because they can double the amount of transistors for the same size silicon chip, we are currently at 5GHz so you do the maths on how many years it will take to get from 5GHz to 5000GHz.

With jokes aside, you need to give more details such as motherboard [although you said "this card" so I guess you mean that you have a ROG Maximus XI Extreme such as the OP mentioned], CPU, RAM and PSU etc. What voltages you have tried would be very helpful.

What I have seen from reading posts not everyone can get a stable OC of 5GHz with an i9 9900k with the ROG Maximus XI series of motherboards. It depends on the CPU quality, and cooling system mostly.

haahha true! I did not notice the mistake! : D I apologize.

my cooling is asus ryuo 240 and the motherboard is an asus rog maximus extreme xi

test this setting:
Ai Overckick Tuner: XMP 1 (ddr4-3600)
AVX instrucrion Core Ratio Negative Offset 3 and 4
CPU core ratio: sunc all cores (value 50)
Cpu load-line calibration (auto - level 6 - level 7)
cpu current capability 140% (max)
cpu core/chache current limit max 255.75 (max)
core voltage (auto - 1.290) (set auto cpu id 1.375)

max temp cpu 91°c

maybe I read wrong, but intel did not guarantee 5.0ghz on all the cores with i9-9900k?

bustinex wrote:
haahha true! I did not notice the mistake! : D I apologize.

my cooling is asus ryuo 240 and the motherboard is an asus rog maximus extreme xi

test this setting:
Ai Overckick Tuner: XMP 1 (ddr4-3600)
AVX instrucrion Core Ratio Negative Offset 3 and 4
CPU core ratio: sunc all cores (value 50)
Cpu load-line calibration (auto - level 6 - level 7)
cpu current capability 140% (max)
cpu core/chache current limit max 255.75 (max)
core voltage (auto - 1.290) (set auto cpu id 1.375)

max temp cpu 91°c

maybe I read wrong, but intel did not guarantee 5.0ghz on all the cores with i9-9900k?

Intel spec is turbo boost of 2 active cores to 5Ghz. 3-8 active cores has a drop in speed.

Try this:

Sync all cores to 50
AVX -2
Set LLC to 6
CPU Current 140%
CPU Power Phase Extreme
Set Vcore manually under Adaptive to 1.315
Leave cache ratio on 43 for now
Everything else on Auto

Be careful not to use any more voltage than needed on the CPU. Higher voltage causes a lot of heat which really effect stability on the high end. Throwing voltage at the chip can be counter productive.

mdzcpa wrote:
Intel spec is turbo boost of 2 active cores to 5Ghz. 3-8 active cores has a drop in speed.

Try this:

Sync all cores to 50
AVX -2
Set LLC to 6
CPU Current 140%
CPU Power Phase Extreme
Set Vcore manually under Adaptive to 1.315
Leave cache ratio on 43 for now
Everything else on Auto

Be careful not to use any more voltage than needed on the CPU. Higher voltage causes a lot of heat which really effect stability on the high end. Throwing voltage at the chip can be counter productive.

does not work
I put your settings and xmp 1

blue screen just started the test 😞

bustinex wrote:
does not work
I put your settings and xmp 1

blue screen just started the test 😞

Leave XMP off for now. Run at default. Let's try to see if your chip can hit 5ghz.

Try upping to 1.325 and then 1.350

Agree with Philly, are you stable without overclocking? Can you run stress tests at stock speeds? What are your cpu loaded temps without OC?

mdzcpa wrote:
Leave XMP off for now. Run at default. Let's try to see if your chip can hit 5ghz.

Try upping to 1.325 and then 1.350

Agree with Philly, are you stable without overclocking? Can you run stress tests at stock speeds? What are your cpu loaded temps without OC?

ok, tomorrow I will carry out the following tests.

reset to factory settings and test (30 minutes)
XMP off (auto) and your settings and tests (30 minutes)

I will let you have the results.

thank you very much for helping!