cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3080TI FE on Maximus XI Extreme will not turn monitor on until Windows Log-in Screen

Jesseinsf
Level 10
I just purchased a brand new 3080TI FE from Best Buy. This card works VERY well when logged into Windows 11. The issue is the monitor will not turn on until the Windows sign-in screen. This happens only when I restart my computer. Why is this a problem? It's a problem because I cannot access the system UEFI firmware (BIOS) after restarting my PC. If I want to access the BIOS, then I have to choose the shutdown option in Windows and then turn my PC back on to see the post screen and enter the BIOS. This happens with both DisplayPort and HDMI.

Things that I've tried:

- Used the DisplayID VBIOS update tool from Nvidia. The tool stated that my VBIOS was already up to date.
- I pushed the motherboard BIOS reset button and pulled the BIOS battery out for 10-minutes (yes, the PSU power card was also unplugged). No success.
- I reflashed the motherboard BIOS (No success)
- Reseated the graphics card (No success)
- Tried another PCIe slot (no success)
- Installed the 3080 TI on two other computers (Z370 and z590). (Everything works on those platforms)
- Made sure that the primary display setting in system BIOS did not keep changing back to "CPU Graphics". It stayed on PCIe.
15 REPLIES 15

Warre1 wrote:
Might be DisplayID problem:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/

No hard feelings but this is the first thing I tried before seeking help. I cannot count the many people who kept telling me to do this. It's getting quite annoying.

Warre1 wrote:
Might be DisplayID problem:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/

The card came with the latest VBIOS.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Please make sure you're running the latest VBIOS for the card, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Shinchan0125
Level 10
I had similar problem.
EVGA 3090Ti (recently purchase)
LG 27GP950.
I did not have problem with my LG monitor when it was paired with 2080 Ti. As soon as i install EVGA 3090Ti, i cant see boot screen at all until windows.
mine was fix with Nvidia Vbio Display ID bios fix.

Shinchan0125 wrote:
I had similar problem.
EVGA 3090Ti (recently purchase)
LG 27GP950.
I did not have problem with my LG monitor when it was paired with 2080 Ti. As soon as i install EVGA 3090Ti, i cant see boot screen at all until windows.
mine was fix with Nvidia Vbio Display ID bios fix.

That VBIOS fix was only for LG monitors.

Kommandant1
Level 7

I have the same issue. Found that using a different older hdmi cable it would work fine but using my new hdmi and DisplayPort cables I got just for 4K, it wouldn’t work or had the problem you discribled. Also would sometimes make a beep code at boot 1 long 3 shorts meaning no gpu detected. Going back to old hdmi everything works fine so suspecting a simple kind of bad cord, or a firmware issue with the 1.3 or 1.4 versions that get it up to 4K.