cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2x Samsung 970 Pro 1To (NVMe) in RAID 0 less good than without raid...?

Fraizer
Level 9
Hello all

I just bought 2 NVMe Samsung 970 Pro 1 To to make an raid 0 on the Asus Maximus XI Extreme (chipset Z390) last drivers (i let the original RST OROM, i just update the Intel ME Firmware to the 1,5Mo v12.0.10.1127).

I fault by doing this raid 0 i will have a better speed... But it worst than an 1 970 Pro alone without raid...

like you see here they make an test of the 970 Pro (version 512Go):

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/sa...-review,15.html

except for the write Seq Q32T1 i have a very bad speed compare to the non Raid 970 Pro...

my setting an bench (sorry for the french):

https://files.homepagemodules.de/b602300/f28t4197p66791n2_mFCEsYBH.png

the manual of my motherboard show that : (i am little lost about, wich option is connected with the cpu or chipset and if it is the reason of my speed problem...)I make many test in a cold computer or runing since 1 hour, is a fresh windows 10 pro with all last drivers and last bios 0602 (except the RST OROM)

https://files.homepagemodules.de/b602300/f28t4197p66791n3_YeqDKBVo.png

I make many test in a cold computer or runing since 1 hour, is a fresh windows 10 pro with all last drivers and last bios 0602 (except the RST OROM)

thank you

thank you
16 REPLIES 16

JustinThyme
Level 13
There are several factors affecting speed. Make sure those lanes are on PCIE gen3 and at X4 without sharing lanes with anything else. No matter what you do the current generation of NVMe drives installed on the motherboard (not a PCIE card) are going to be bottlenecked by the DMI link between the PCH controller and the CPU which has 4 lanes. Marketing misrepresentation of the PCH lanes leads folks to believe they get 24 more lanes which is true BUT and a HUGE BUT, those are all downstream of the PCH controller and in the end they all go back to the CPU on 4 lanes.*

You may see a marginal speed increase on sequential reads but raid adds latency which will give you a hit where it counts, in the random 4K shallow depth ques. If you intend on using the drive as storage only of large media files then the slight gain will be better on paper and snythetic benchmarks but in reality you won’t be able to tell the difference. If using for an OS/apps drive you will notice the hit in the 4K speeds with things taking longer to load.

@deepcuts
That link says nothing. Just a VERY old comparison and does not mention what drives and makes zero mention of low que depths. That blog is from 2016! NVMe in its current state did not yet exist. Spinners, SATA SSDs and even the first generation of NVMe saw more benifit because their native speeds were/are far slower than the DMI link. Current drives get you 3500MB/S sequential for a single drive which is pretty much the saturation point of the DMI link. You can squeeze out perhaps another 300MB/S but what’s the point? Then add to that the destruction of your 4K performance and it’s a lose, lose situation.
My recommendation FWIW would be to run them as single drives. *

You can get the crazy speeds for sequential (never 4K ramndom) by using *a PCIE card that is not behind the PCH controller but the caveat is they can’t be used to boot from and you have to do software raid.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

thank you JustinThyme

on my maximus XI extreme how to identify my actual lines ? to put PCIE gen3 and at X4 ? and they are not sharing with others ?

but is normal 1x 970 Pro have better speed than 2x 970 pro in raid 0 ?

but what about this ?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q2ltvq.jpg

Ch3vr0n
Level 11
Samsung magician normally can tell you that, but afaik it's not compatible with intel RST needed to setup the raid. But with those numbers they're using gen III x4 or they'd be half that. Yes it's normal that 1 nvme has better results than 2.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Samsung Magician cannot see past any raid controller.*
OP check your manual for your bios. It will be on the advanced tab. May take some digging to find but these are usually set to auto which doesn’t always give you the best bandwidth. If I’m im not mistaken you can see this with HWinfo. *If your are still hung on this I’ll check back when I get my refresh rebuild up and running over the next day or so. Getting close, almost done with the plumbing. I’m going vertical with my GPUs and putting my Intel 900Ps that are in VROC raid 0 (another discussion and only on X299 boards) to the bottom of the case on PCIE extensions cables.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Fraizer
Level 9
the vroc is only an hardware solution ? i read is liike an 100$ licence.... no chance it is an soft i can install for my Maximus XI Extreme ?

your computer seem to be a great build 🙂

the manual of my motherboard is here but i dont found that or i dont know the good name.. i am realy confuse because they are many new words and option compare to my old build...

the manual :
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Manual/

JustinThyme
Level 13
No VROC is hardware but ONLY on the X299 MOBOS. Key cost went up when people finally figured it out (there was no mention of what key nor where to get it, ASUS was pushing it on intel and vice versa) I bought several in the beginning for a whole $8.99 each and ASUS actually sent me one for free when I went postal on them. *Other caveat to VROC is its intel drives only.

*Page 47,48 and 52 of your manual. Every thing to gen 3 and whatever your drives are plugged into set for x4. The X4 May or may not apply to your configuration.*

Fraizer
Level 9
i put like you ssaid i even put then no used slo pci E line 2 to gen 3. but no change on speed

about the line 3 pci-e where i put x4, on this slot i plug my asus phobus sound card is an pci-e x1, do you think this can make problem when i put to x4 and aftect the nme speed ?

unfortunatly i am at the same level 😞

(i dont uunderstand totaly the licence vroc and intel and asus)