cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPM 2.0: How can I disable without data loss?

roganaut
Level 8
Hi,

I've successfully activated TPM 2.0 and it shows up in Windows 10. Now I'd like to disable it. Changing from Firmware TPM to Discrete TPM opens a pop-up window telling data loss could occur. So how can I disable TMP again. Do I have to start in Windows with tpm.msc or just in the BIOS?

Any help is highly appreciated
3 REPLIES 3

BigR2021
Level 7
Hi,

I think it has to do with Bitlocker, my Windows 10 did not complain the install with no activated TPM 2.0.

MoKiChU
Level 40
roganaut wrote:
Hi,

I've successfully activated TPM 2.0 and it shows up in Windows 10. Now I'd like to disable it. Changing from Firmware TPM to Discrete TPM opens a pop-up window telling data loss could occur. So how can I disable TMP again. Do I have to start in Windows with tpm.msc or just in the BIOS?

Any help is highly appreciated

Hi,

Enabling TPM 2.0 (Firmware TPM) does not in any way require you to encrypt your drive with BitLocker (it gives you the ability to do it, but it don't do it), so as long as you have not encrypted your disk with BitLocker manually, these popup should not be taken into account when switching from TPM mode & no data will be lost.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Enabling TPM 2.0 (Firmware TPM) does not in any way require you to encrypt your drive with BitLocker (it gives you the ability to do it, but it don't do it), so as long as you have not encrypted your disk with BitLocker manually, these popup should not be taken into account when switching from TPM mode & no data will be lost.

Thank you so much. This question has not been answered exhaustively so far. So I'll give it a shot.