cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SupremeFX CODECs S1220 and S1220A; what's the difference

isaacc
Level 7
Of the Z270 mobo that have SupremeFX, some are specified as using the S1220A CODEC and others the S1220. What's the difference between the two in terms of features? I've been all over the Internet and can't find any information about it. I wish ASUS had a dedicated SupremeFX page that lays out all the features and specifications of the various SupremeFX packages and CODECs. Thanks.
45 REPLIES 45

That breaks my heart, and seems to be an odd way to market something the way they did. THat said, no sound from the sub/ctr orange connector, but sound is fine from main/green connector. Tried both stereo/TRS and mono/TS cables to no avail. SOmething in software? I have SupremeFX set to 5.1 with sub enabled.

New thread?

Jaqey wrote:
I found contradicting information @ https://unlocked.newegg.com/article/hands-asus-z270-motherboards

"A new change for ASUS is the inclusion of the DAC and amp on the back of the motherboard. Previously, the fancy audio equipment only worked on the front audio header. So if you plugged your high ohm audiophile headphones into the back, you’d have a bad time.Now, the killer ESS Sabre DAC (and amp) powers both the front and back jacks."

So is the news article correct?

Also, the Strix Z270 series have dual op-amps for headphones, but the more premium ROG Maximus IX series lack this.
Is this because only ROG has the switching mosfets and therefore can use the same op-amp for both rear & front outputs while Strix needs a dedicated op-amp for both front & rear? Otherwise it would seem the Strix series has more powerful headphone output than ROG.

Thank you.

i can say that my hero ix have independent front a back outputs and i can be power independently. and i can say that the z370 have done a good work upgrading the audio cards. That i test. in order to power ohm headphones, that i will own you that since mine only gets 109ohm but i can make as now hear music in my headphones and hear a video in you tube for example in my speakers. Inside options in the supreme FX there is a option that can separate the imput jacks and input devise. also. a playbacks two different audio streams. please check that. they have independent controls, and also activates the audio in windows sound manager. Aside of that you can route the sound in anyway you want. the app is strong. but the new one z370 have beeter audio as power goes. ONLY 1 board can power high ohm headphones on the board back I/o panel. i hope asus can do that in the future. but there are also audio cards, asus have one if you need better audio necessities. so far on my side z270 the audio is the best on any z270 board. and yes I like moves and music. I hard to make a video and show that it works but works.!!!!
Learn, Play Enjoy!

for info the ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING Have CODEC S1220A and in their website its very clearly stating to handle : "With two op-amps on-board you're able to pump exceptional audio to your favorite cans, with 32-600Ω-headphone impedance for great flexibility."

so if anyone have an audiophile headphone he should be able to drive the full volume without an issue. regarding the noise or interference ofc the dedicated out of the case Sound card is going to be better.

🙂 if anyone have an asus motherboard who can confirm running a headphone with 250ohm or above would be nice ❤️

the link:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/overview/

I've used Beyer DT880/600s and Senn HD58xx/300's without a problem, and that's compared to an Oppo HA-1, and Topping A30.

Are you having problems with it? Lack of authority, or volume?

Raja
Level 13
That's a mistake on the page that will be corrected. It doesn't have the ESS DAC. It uses the S1220A, not the S1220.

Raja
Level 13
From a codec perspective, it depends what type of output stage is utilized internally (and how much difference that may make). If there are any differences in the amount of decoupling used on some boards, component layout, trace routing, or the PCB layer count, then that can make a minor difference in some situations (but we're getting into audiophile territory).

jjxakergm
Level 7
Why the codec S1220A on APEX at the launching of the operating system gives a high-frequency sound to the speakers as a result there is a strong bang?
If the sound on the speakers is very high, then you can be very frightened when the operating system is launched. Why the engineers of Asus can ignore such an obvious problem?
Connect the speakers to the back panel, set the sound on the speakers to maximum, turn on the computer. right after the win bootloader there will be a very strong low-frequency sound.
Why then the board with the codec S1220 not have problems?

Korth
Level 14
This thread is not as informative as actual specs or datasheets for Realtek S1220/S1220A parts ... but it has still been very informative.

The only technical information which has been available so far has been (often incorrect) ASUS marketing and (rarely unbiased) independent testing/comparison reviews.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
This thread is not as informative as actual specs or datasheets for Realtek S1220/S1220A parts ... but it has still been very informative.

The only technical information which has been available so far has been (often incorrect) ASUS marketing and (rarely unbiased) independent testing/comparison reviews.

Can you post a link to those spec sheets? I don't see either of them on the Realtek site.

Korth wrote:

Even if the sheets were online, the only difference between the A and non-A is that the former lacks i2s outputs. As a result, the A is a cheaper part.

These parts have been available to every vendor for some time.