cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SupremeFX CODECs S1220 and S1220A; what's the difference

isaacc
Level 7
Of the Z270 mobo that have SupremeFX, some are specified as using the S1220A CODEC and others the S1220. What's the difference between the two in terms of features? I've been all over the Internet and can't find any information about it. I wish ASUS had a dedicated SupremeFX page that lays out all the features and specifications of the various SupremeFX packages and CODECs. Thanks.
45 REPLIES 45

Jaqey wrote:
Thank you for the detailed info!

However ROG front jack (ES9023) has 112 dB SNR while the rear jack (S1220) has 120dB & gold connectors.

Is front jack still the better option to connect headphones?

Gold isn't the best conductor, it just prevents oxidization. When comparing specs, there's also distortion, frequency response, and output impedance to consider. And, at these levels, things become subjective fast. In other words, don't get too hung up on a couple of minor points.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Gold isn't the best conductor, it just prevents oxidization. When comparing specs, there's also distortion, frequency response, and output impedance to consider. And, at these levels, things become subjective fast. In other words, don't get too hung up on a couple of minor points.

Great info, thank you.

I'm using the front jack for Sennheiser HD600 (300ohm) headphones, and above volume 20/100 in Windows is already too loud.
In this case I guess I don't need a separate headphone amp like Objective2 as the Hero IX has good enough quality?

Thanks!

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That article is incorrect. Boards that feature the ESS DAC do not reroute the DAC's audio outputs to the rear I/O. The only thing that's dynamic here is the impedance sensing, and I think that's what confused them.

The Strix boards use the codec's built-in headphone output, which then goes through a voltage gain stage (because it needs voltage gain) and then a buffer stage. In contrast, the Maximus boards bypass the codec's analog output's entirely, utilizing i2S to send the digital stream to the ESS DAC, which is then buffered by a RC4580. The ES9023 already outputs 2V, so it doesn't need the voltage gain stage, and it's analog output is arguably 'better' than the codec's native analog output.

Hope this clears things up...

-Raja

I am going to be using the rear output to plug in my headphones on a z370 Maximus board. How will the quality differ from using the front output?

ledude wrote:
I am going to be using the rear output to plug in my headphones on a z370 Maximus board. How will the quality differ from using the front output?

Subjectively, may lack dynamic punch in comparison to the fp.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Subjectively, may lack dynamic punch in comparison to the fp.

Hi there, I have a Strix Z270E with the SupremeFX S1220A codec. So does this mean that on my MB I should connect my headphones to the front audio connector to make use of the best amplifier on my MB? Dual headphone amplifiers suggests that there is one for front and back, or you could be forgiven for thinking that, but there is no mention of which one you should use in the manual.

The webpage overview mentions Texas Instruments® RC4580 and OPA1688 op-amps, is one for the front and one for the back or what is the story?

I currently have mine connected to the rear output as it gives a cleaner look and the 3.5mm connector on my Sennheiser HDHD558's is ridiculously massive!

Thanks!

kgh00007 wrote:
Hi there, I have a Strix Z270E with the SupremeFX S1220A codec. So does this mean that on my MB I should connect my headphones to the front audio connector to make use of the best amplifier on my MB? Dual headphone amplifiers suggests that there is one for front and back, or you could be forgiven for thinking that, but there is no mention of which one you should use in the manual.

Only the front panel output passes through the headphone amp stage.

kgh00007 wrote:

The webpage overview mentions Texas Instruments® RC4580 and OPA1688 op-amps, is one for the front and one for the back or what is the story?

This was already answered in post 11. One opamp provides voltage gain and the other acts as a buffer. They are not for independent outputs.

kgh00007 wrote:

I currently have mine connected to the rear output as it gives a cleaner look and the 3.5mm connector on my Sennheiser HDHD558's is ridiculously massive!

Thanks!

What sounds better comes down to a variety of things: how much gain the headphones need, their input impedance, how good the cable is that connects the FP output to the case FP (noise pickup). All of these things plus many more will have an impact on perceived sound quality. You will have to test and see which you prefer.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Only the front panel output passes through the headphone amp stage.

This was already answered in post 11. One opamp provides voltage gain and the other acts as a buffer. They are not for independent outputs.

What sounds better comes down to a variety of things: how much gain the headphones need, their input impedance, how good the cable is that connects the FP output to the case FP (noise pickup). All of these things plus many more will have an impact on perceived sound quality. You will have to test and see which you prefer.

Hey, thanks for the reply! It might not be a bad idea to put a line in the manual stating that the headphone amp is only on the front audio connector. I reread some reviews for the Z270E and the reviewers all made the same assumption that I did, that dual op amps meant one for the back and one for the front!

Thanks for the reply and the clarification. I will try out the front and back and see what sounds best!

Just to follow up, my headphones sound much better when connected to the front audio output. There is much more dynamic range and bass is much stronger and better defined! I have Sennheiser HD558's.

I never tested them in the front output before as I thought that dual headphone op amps meant that there was one each for the front and rear outputs!

Now I just have to figure out a way to make the wiring look tidy!

So, the Maximum Hero IX only uses the ESS DAC on the front panel output (header on the MB)? Therefore, the only way to run a pair of mains and a sub would be to use the 1220 on the rear MB outputs (5 analog and 1 optical), or do I have that backwards? Thanks!

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That article is incorrect. Boards that feature the ESS DAC do not reroute the DAC's audio outputs to the rear I/O. The only thing that's dynamic here is the impedance sensing, and I think that's what confused them.

The Strix boards use the codec's built-in headphone output, which then goes through a voltage gain stage (because it needs voltage gain) and then a buffer stage. In contrast, the Maximus boards bypass the codec's analog output's entirely, utilizing i2S to send the digital stream to the ESS DAC, which is then buffered by a RC4580. The ES9023 already outputs 2V, so it doesn't need the voltage gain stage, and it's analog output is arguably 'better' than the codec's native analog output.

Hope this clears things up...

-Raja

xyrium wrote:
So, the Maximum Hero IX only uses the ESS DAC on the front panel output (header on the MB)? Therefore, the only way to run a pair of mains and a sub would be to use the 1220 on the rear MB outputs (5 analog and 1 optical), or do I have that backwards? Thanks!

The ESS DAC has nothing to do with the rear outputs. If using multi-channel, you may be able to use some kind of software rerouting (such as Audio Repeater) to utilize the front outputs for stereo, while the sub is connected to the rear. Whether or not it's a good idea to do that is another matter, though.