cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need people who use on-board audio to comment please

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
Hi,

I am currently using a Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card and I like it but something bothers me that I noticed when testing another PC with a USB audio system. When playing anything with sound, audiodg.exe consumes up to 6% of my 7700k CPU usage. That's significant for a quad core hyperthreaded brand new processor. On the system with USB audio however, there is 0% CPU usage when dealing with sound.

My question to anyone using a Z270 Maximus board with on-board audio, does your audiodg.exe consume CPU usage when you play anything with sound? Or does it stay 0% at all times?

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

HeavyK
Level 7
Tagging along this thread. I'm using an old SB Recon3D pcie soundcard which still works, but I've been wondering if the onboard chip on my IX Hero is better.... anyone have experience?

HeavyK wrote:
Tagging along this thread. I'm using an old SB Recon3D pcie soundcard which still works, but I've been wondering if the onboard chip on my IX Hero is better.... anyone have experience?

Heck of a question. I've not used the sound card you've mentioned, but I've been using the on-board Audio of the Hero IX board and love it. I use it to drive my two PC speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer. Sounds great.

My $0.02 worth.

mcleod52 wrote:
Heck of a question. I've not used the sound card you've mentioned, but I've been using the on-board Audio of the Hero IX board and love it. I use it to drive my two PC speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer. Sounds great.

My $0.02 worth.

Much appreciated! I'll try the onboard out this weekend, thx a bunch.

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
Wow. Thread hijacked much.

Can anyone using the onboard audio please do this test and confirm? It takes all of 10 seconds to play an MP3 and check task manager for CPU usage on audiodg.exe.

KuraiShidosha wrote:
Wow. Thread hijacked much.

Can anyone using the onboard audio please do this test and confirm? It takes all of 10 seconds to play an MP3 and check task manager for CPU usage on audiodg.exe.

Listening to music while playing a game at the same time, resource monitor shows average CPU usage of 0.19% for audiodg.exe process.

I'm not running Sonic Studio 3 and no enhancements enabled.

Only using Realtek HD Audio Manager (for SupremeFX) and headphone amplifier set to powerful.
i7-7700k @ 5GHz | Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero | 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4133 MHz | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC 11 Gbps | ASUS MG279Q | Intel 256GB 600p NVMe | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Anvirol wrote:
Listening to music while playing a game at the same time, resource monitor shows average CPU usage of 0.19% for audiodg.exe process.

I'm not running Sonic Studio 3 and no enhancements enabled.

Only using Realtek HD Audio Manager (for SupremeFX) and headphone amplifier set to powerful.

Thank you. That's much better than what I'm seeing on my Creative. Probably their garbage drivers from ancient times just hogging resources. Up to 6% is half a core on my i7. That's not insignificant. I think I'm going to go through with finally retiring this sound card. I'm going to miss its output though. We'll see how it goes.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I have used Creative sound cards for eons until I switched to ROG boards.

The reason, the onboard sound is actually very good with these ROG boards. I'm using a 2.1 Bose system with a powered sub woofer.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I was going to look this up for you last night but when I tried there wasn't an audiodg.exe that I could see in task manager.

Either my Apex IX doesn't have the same drivers (more than likely as it's not the same sound chip and it's more for overclocking) or I don't have all the software needed installed i guess.

Sounds like you have an answer already above though!

-Y.O.D.A.
Your ass is grass, smoke it I will!

qUAanA
Level 10
onboard audio is GARBAGE