cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting to POST

PinoyBoy120
Level 7
Right now, I've only got the essentially things I need to boot up the system: RAM the CPU and the HSF and of course then PSU. The RGB lights on the mobo come up when I hit the switch on the power supply but when I press the START button on the mobo it doesn't do anything. No fans spinning and no codes at the top right. I called support almost a week ago and they suggested I replace the motherboard. Well I did just that and got the results I've written above which is the same thing I experienced with the first motherboard. Is it safe to assume that maybe the PSU is the cause of it? I can't really test the power supply on other rigs and I don't have a reader to check its voltages. I've also yet to try breadboarding it, I'll probably get to that later today.
35 REPLIES 35

davemon50 wrote:
Make sure the cooler is plugged into the CPU_FAN header? Also just to be sure make sure the RAM is in the correct spots.

I have plugs in the AIO header and the CPU FAN header. I've also tried using one single piece of RAM in all four slots.*

davemon50
Level 11
AIO fans connected to the AIO pump block, and the pump block connected to the CPU FAN header, right? I'm not sure I understood your sentence above.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
AIO fans connected to the AIO pump block, and the pump block connected to the CPU FAN header, right? I'm not sure I understood your sentence above.

I have the pump connected to the AIO header and the two fans that are on the radiator run into a controller which connects to the CPU FAN header.*

What hardware exactly is it you're using?

Mainboard?
RAM?
Graphics?

davemon50
Level 11
You may need to try some of the other things suggested above, like switching out all your wires for new ones (one by one), I strongly suspect you have a wiring issue, like a bad wire for example. Were you able to power the hair dryer through that outlet, or perhaps try the computer from a different outlet?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
You may need to try some of the other things suggested above, like switching out all your wires for new ones (one by one), I strongly suspect you have a wiring issue, like a bad wire for example. Were you able to power the hair dryer through that outlet, or perhaps try the computer from a different outlet?

I'm using the same outlet that I've used for my other pc rig. Should I just replace the PSU? I can't swap out the 24 pin connector because it's semimodular and I've also used a known working PSU from the previously mentioned rig. I got the same results, no POST.

davemon50
Level 11
PinoyBoy120 wrote:
I have the pump connected to the AIO header and the two fans that are on the radiator run into a controller which connects to the CPU FAN header.*

My suggestion is to do it the traditional way and see what you get. Try skipping the AIO header and run the fans to the pump block, and then plug in the pump block to the CPU_FAN header. This is the way Corsair likes to see theirs straight out of the box, although there are other ways. But give that a shot and see if it makes a difference. There is no danger in hooking it up that way.
Davemon50

davemon50
Level 11
Well if you already ruled out a bad PSU (?) it wouldn't make a difference, although you could try a third one to be sure. But in the end this just feels like and sounds like a wiring issue to me, a short somewhere as discussed above. Then again we are all grabbing at straws at this point. Try the AIO change if you can, if the CPU cooling isn't being recognized it may not start up. Did you reseat the CPU like you did the RAM?

By the way, have you gotten anything at all to show up on the POST indicator? Any codes?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Well if you already ruled out a bad PSU (?) it wouldn't make a difference, although you could try a third one to be sure. But in the end this just feels like and sounds like a wiring issue to me, a short somewhere as discussed above. Then again we are all grabbing at straws at this point. Try the AIO change if you can, if the CPU cooling isn't being recognized it may not start up. Did you reseat the CPU like you did the RAM?

By the way, have you gotten anything at all to show up on the POST indicator? Any codes?

have gotten no codes at all or any other lights other than the RGB

Good news! So as someone suggested I moved the CPU fan headers around and it actually booted. Now I'm getting an A2 code at the top right*
EDIT 1: So now that I know it can boot up, I put the psu in its spot in the case and hooked up the 24 and 8 pin once again. And now I'm having the same problem. It won't boot again. Could something be shorting the PSU?
EDIT 2: okay so i found out the problem this time. The tiny 4 pin connector on the 24 pin was inserted the wrong way. Boy do I feel stupid. *