cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting to POST

PinoyBoy120
Level 7
Right now, I've only got the essentially things I need to boot up the system: RAM the CPU and the HSF and of course then PSU. The RGB lights on the mobo come up when I hit the switch on the power supply but when I press the START button on the mobo it doesn't do anything. No fans spinning and no codes at the top right. I called support almost a week ago and they suggested I replace the motherboard. Well I did just that and got the results I've written above which is the same thing I experienced with the first motherboard. Is it safe to assume that maybe the PSU is the cause of it? I can't really test the power supply on other rigs and I don't have a reader to check its voltages. I've also yet to try breadboarding it, I'll probably get to that later today.
35 REPLIES 35

PinoyBoy120 wrote:
I kind of got the feeling that something may be shorting it. What was shorting yours?

Well, since i mounted the mainboard directly to the case, without using the mounting spacers, evrything shorted 😉

Lightbringer wrote:
Well, since i mounted the mainboard directly to the case, without using the mounting spacers, evrything shorted 😉

Oh, I see. Well the case has the standoffs preinstalled. I only had to put one on myself and there's one for all 9 holes.

PinoyBoy120 wrote:
Oh, I see. Well the case has the standoffs preinstalled. I only had to put one on myself and there's one for all 9 holes.

Good, still it sounds like your board is shorting somewhere. Try to dismount it and look beneath for loose metal or wires. Try to get it to post outside of the case.

So I took it off the case and it's still doing its thing, RGB lights up and then doesn't POST

PinoyBoy120 wrote:
So I took it off the case and it's still doing its thing, RGB lights up and then doesn't POST

Did you put the motherboard on the cardboard box that it came in? Are you using the bare minimum to test?

Chino wrote:
Did you put the motherboard on the cardboard box that it came in? Are you using the bare minimum to test?

yes, put it on a box which should be completely nonconductive. Only things on there are the cpu, cooler and RAM

davemon50
Level 11
Check your backplate first and see if it's lined up exactly correct including the flange/mate to the case. Make sure it appears the board is straight and all screws are in solidly. Make sure the standoffs have their integrity and no stray hardware. Make sure there are no wires or bare metal where there should not be. Make sure the PCIe mounting plates are secure in their locations and not touching anything they shouldn't.
Davemon50

davemon50
Level 11
Another thought, unplug any non-critical case connectors (the Q-connector wiring for front case I/O) and re-try things with them out. Some are non-essential, for example audio or the HDD LED's.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Another thought, unplug any non-critical case connectors (the Q-connector wiring for front case I/O) and re-try things with them out. Some are non-essential, for example audio or the HDD LED's.

the only real nonessential thing I have connected to the motherboard is the speaker. Other than that it's just the CPU, the cooler, RAM and the psu

davemon50
Level 11
Make sure the cooler is plugged into the CPU_FAN header? Also just to be sure make sure the RAM is in the correct spots.
Davemon50