cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX not detecting RAM...

Howard_Woodard
Level 7
I picked up a used mobo that I know was working when the guy removed it. I have it populated and powered up on my work table. It will not POST. It stays powered up with the CPU fan continuing to run but the status display reads "55" and the RAM led is on steady. I've tried the MEM-OK button but after it tries several configurations it too stops, again with status code "55" which means "Memory not installed". The RAM is firmly seated and I have cleaned and re-seated them a couple of times.

There are two sticks of brand new RAM (p/n below) and I've tried them in A2+B2, A1+B1 and one stick in A1, then B1, then A2 and finally B2 with the same symptoms/outcome each time.

I removed the CMOS battery and reinstalled it. Nothing changes - Memory not detected each time.

The first entry below is from the QVL. The second is the RAM that I'm trying to use.

(1) From QVL : G.SKILL F4-3000C16Q2-128GVKB(XMP)128GB (8x16GB) DS 16-18-18-38 1.35v
(2) Installed: G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-32GVRB R (2x16GB) CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

It looks to me like it should work just fine.

I don't have ready access to other RAM right now so I can't try part swapping though what I've done with the two new sticks is parts swapping -- just with two unknown parts.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?
9 REPLIES 9

Howard_Woodard
Level 7
I must have been groggy when I tested. RAM is fine. A1 and A2 slots do not detect any RAM. B1 and B2 work fine. Now to try to figure that out...

Howard_Woodard wrote:
I must have been groggy when I tested. RAM is fine. A1 and A2 slots do not detect any RAM. B1 and B2 work fine. Now to try to figure that out...

Hello, may possibly due to uneven mounting of the CPU. Remove the CPU cooler and reseat the CPU - check for any bent pins in the process. Finally, check for even mounting pressure when attaching the cooler. You may wish to check that the stand off screws are not overtightened surrounding both the CPU and the DIMM slots.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thanks. That sounds promising and I'll try it when I get back home today. I'll update this thread afterwards.

Howard

Had one bent pin. The pin seems a bit “spongy” so it may not just be bent, it may be loose at the bottom. I don’t have the pinouts for the 1151 socket but I’d guess that pin relates to the A-channel memory controller.**

Howard_Woodard wrote:
Had one bent pin. The pin seems a bit “spongy” so it may not just be bent, it may be loose at the bottom. I don’t have the pinouts for the 1151 socket but I’d guess that pin relates to the A-channel memory controller.**

Are you able to take a clear photo of the socket?

Hi and thanks for the question. I don't think my iPhone is gonna win any graphic fidelity awards but here are some attempts that actually do show the bent pin. I tried straightening it but it just settles back down. If it really is the problem I'm not sure whether it isn't pushing up enough to make contact with the cpu or if it is but its being pushed further "forward" and off the cpu contact.

Never found the problem. RMAing it back to Asus.

Thanks all.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Hard to say from this, could be socket damage, might be something else. More often than not, it's CPU mounting pressure.

Btw, do you know what the pinouts are? *I’m curious as to what that pin is - 3rd from left and 3rd from bottom diagonally opposite the alignment corner.*