cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero wont boot with memory slots A1/A2 populated

Gabrielmage
Level 7
Hello guys,

I'm having trouble with my motherboard, when i first started the build all memory slots worked fine, but after a couple of days i was playing some overwatch and the game started closing by itself (3 times), i kept re-opening it until windows BSOD (Bad-pool-header), by the time my pc rebooted i couldn't get the bios to boot, i would get a 55 or 3F q-code. I tried several times to clean cmos, memoryOK!, battery removal and installing memory dimms in different locations until i got it to work.

At that point i was happy, but as soon as i would get inside windows it would BSOD on me. I decided to reinstall windows, and at first everything was working fine until it started crashing on me again.

So.. i decided to test it with 2 dimms of memory installed at a time as i was afraid that my memory got fried or something, the pc is rock solid with 2 dimms at a time.

The thing is that i can not for the life of me get the pc to boot on the memory banks A1/2, if i install something on A1 and/or A2 i keep getting q-code 49 and a continuous loop between 01-03. If i install all banks at once i usually get a q-code 55, but if i install anything on B1/2 the pc boots right away. No cmos clean, memoryOK! nor battery removal helped me this time.

I've tried with a different memory stick from a friend, and got the same results. Do you guys have any ideas?

Build:

Asus: Maximus IX Hero (latest bios)
Intel: i7 7700K (@ stock speeds)
Corsair: Vengance LED 32gb (4*8) 3000mhz (@2133mhz)
Cosair: H100i v2
Gigabyte: GTX 1080
EVGA: SuperNova G3 850W
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance for you help! 🙂
69 REPLIES 69

steelerman37 wrote:
Thought I'd jump in to say that I'm having the same exact problem Gabriel is having: A1 or A2 populated with any memory gives either 55 or cycles 01-03. I have almost his exact same build except I'm using Dominator (3600) 2x8Gb only. Currently have B1/2 populated and it posts fast with no problems (including no BSODs), but having a single DiMM in A1 or A2 causes 55/01-03 variations. Brand new as of 3/11 mobo, memory and CPU (i7/7700). I'm only planning on using 16Gb for the next few months, but if this is a defective board or CPU, I need to figure it out now to get RMA'd.

I am also having the exact same problem with the same set up on the Maximus IX Hero board. As you said, with memory slots A1 or A2 populated, my PC will not POST, giving me the error code 55 and then cycling 01-03. I have an i7 7700K, I've tried multiple memory kits, currently running G.Skill 32GB (4x8) 3866Mhz F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR kit, however, I am only able to POST with 2 DIMMs installed in either B1 or B2. I've tried everything everyone recommended in this thread and no luck.

ezpzlmnsqz wrote:
I am also having the exact same problem with the same set up on the Maximus IX Hero board. As you said, with memory slots A1 or A2 populated, my PC will not POST, giving me the error code 55 and then cycling 01-03. I have an i7 7700K, I've tried multiple memory kits, currently running G.Skill 32GB (4x8) 3866Mhz F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR kit, however, I am only able to POST with 2 DIMMs installed in either B1 or B2. I've tried everything everyone recommended in this thread and no luck.

Did you have the chance to try your CPU in another motherboard? My CPU replacement should be in the way soon

ezpzlmnsqz wrote:

Here's what I've done so far, just so you (and Gabriel) understand my troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded bios on the MB to 8.01 since what it came with (6.01) didn't detect my memory correctly (even with XMP enabled)
2) Tried both sticks in each slot, as well as running Memtest86 (NOT memtest86+) for those slots that allowed boot. Result: Anything in A1 or A2 would not post.
3) Removed CPU cooler fan power per another thread's recommendation
4) Removed CPU, removed MB and checked for bent pins, and bent CPU
5) Removed all PCIe cards
6) Used ROG Modes 1, then 2

A tried a few additional miscellaneous settings adjustments, but they were just for my own discovery purposes. I have NOT been able to try my CPU in another MB since I only have this single LGA1151 kit.

None of the above items altered the end result: A1/A2 slots not only won't detect RAM and allow post, they prevent post no matter what's in B1/B2. Anything in B1/B2 allows post.

I'm thinking about waiting until Gabriel has installed and tested the new CPU before deciding how to proceed.

steelerman37 wrote:
Here's what I've done so far, just so you (and Gabriel) understand my troubleshooting:

1) Upgraded bios on the MB to 8.01 since what it came with (6.01) didn't detect my memory correctly (even with XMP enabled)
2) Tried both sticks in each slot, as well as running Memtest86 (NOT memtest86+) for those slots that allowed boot. Result: Anything in A1 or A2 would not post.
3) Removed CPU cooler fan power per another thread's recommendation
4) Removed CPU, removed MB and checked for bent pins, and bent CPU
5) Removed all PCIe cards
6) Used ROG Modes 1, then 2

A tried a few additional miscellaneous settings adjustments, but they were just for my own discovery purposes. I have NOT been able to try my CPU in another MB since I only have this single LGA1151 kit.

None of the above items altered the end result: A1/A2 slots not only won't detect RAM and allow post, they prevent post no matter what's in B1/B2. Anything in B1/B2 allows post.

I'm thinking about waiting until Gabriel has installed and tested the new CPU before deciding how to proceed.

Hey, sorry about getting back so late and I apologize, I'm on my phone right now.

I was finally able to POST with 4 DIMMS. I'm not sure what the issue was or what cause it to happen. But how I resolved it was by rolling back to 701 and reflashing 801, then removing all PCI cards. At this moment I was still unable to POST, so I then proceeded to remove the my CPU cooler and reseat the CPU. I powered on the system​ without the cooler installed just to see if that'd make a difference, thus it finally POST'd with all 4 DIMMs populated. I successfully POST'd with the CPU cooler and PCI cards installed as well.

Note: I did in fact try all of the aforementioned steps before with no success, I'm not sure why it worked for me this time.

Odd behavior for sure. Looks like it was that last reseating of the CPU that fixed things.

Hey Guys, here's the update I promised you,

Got my replacement CPU from intel today. I Installed it with all 4 dimms at the same time and everything worked flawlessly. In my case I'm guessing something happened with my 2nd motherboard and my old CPU, they got damaged at the same time for god knows what reason, they only thing i can think of is that i was OCing the CPU at that time, 4.8Ghz auto-config by asus AiSuite, maybe i was unlucky enough to had a weak CPU... honestly i don't really know

Gabrielmage wrote:
Hey Guys, here's the update I promised you,

Got my replacement CPU from intel today. I Installed it with all 4 dimms at the same time and everything worked flawlessly. I'm my case I'm guessing something happened with my 2nd motherboard and my old CPU, they got damaged at the same time for god knows what reason, they only thing i can think of is that i was OCing the CPU at that time, 4.8Ghz auto-config by asus AiSuite, maybe i was unlucky enough to had a weak CPU... honestly i don't really know

So it's your determination that it was both the CPU and motherboard, and not just the CPU? I've reseated everything and nothing looks damaged, so not sure which component to go after first.

steelerman37 wrote:
So it's your determination that it was both the CPU and motherboard, and not just the CPU? I've reseated everything and nothing looks damaged, so not sure which component to go after first.

I too reseated the CPU and noticed nothing wrong, but In this case I'm sure this was a faulty CPU, what I'm not sure is what caused it to fail... because it worked for a while then both it and my motherboard (the 2nd I had, now I'm running my 3rd) got damaged.

I'd advise you to RMA your CPU, just to be sure you have a good one. Intel was very receptive of my issue, also if you bought it on amazon and still are between the return period, you can get a replacement really fast.

Got my replacement CPU from NewEgg and after installing, same exact issue. Since it was past the replacement period, I'm now dealing directly with Asus for Mobo RMA. Will post once I get the replacement and have set the system back up again.

So I returned my original mobo after getting a replacement CPU that was fine. Asus simply flashed the mobo and returned it to me with no other work, and suddenly everything is working fine now. Have tried both sticks in A1/A2 and now have in A1/B1, and all works correctly. I know for a fact that I flashed the mobo as soon as I got it, but I also know that they didn't send me a replacement, so the mystery continues, though all is working correctly now.