cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero wont boot with memory slots A1/A2 populated

Gabrielmage
Level 7
Hello guys,

I'm having trouble with my motherboard, when i first started the build all memory slots worked fine, but after a couple of days i was playing some overwatch and the game started closing by itself (3 times), i kept re-opening it until windows BSOD (Bad-pool-header), by the time my pc rebooted i couldn't get the bios to boot, i would get a 55 or 3F q-code. I tried several times to clean cmos, memoryOK!, battery removal and installing memory dimms in different locations until i got it to work.

At that point i was happy, but as soon as i would get inside windows it would BSOD on me. I decided to reinstall windows, and at first everything was working fine until it started crashing on me again.

So.. i decided to test it with 2 dimms of memory installed at a time as i was afraid that my memory got fried or something, the pc is rock solid with 2 dimms at a time.

The thing is that i can not for the life of me get the pc to boot on the memory banks A1/2, if i install something on A1 and/or A2 i keep getting q-code 49 and a continuous loop between 01-03. If i install all banks at once i usually get a q-code 55, but if i install anything on B1/2 the pc boots right away. No cmos clean, memoryOK! nor battery removal helped me this time.

I've tried with a different memory stick from a friend, and got the same results. Do you guys have any ideas?

Build:

Asus: Maximus IX Hero (latest bios)
Intel: i7 7700K (@ stock speeds)
Corsair: Vengance LED 32gb (4*8) 3000mhz (@2133mhz)
Cosair: H100i v2
Gigabyte: GTX 1080
EVGA: SuperNova G3 850W
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance for you help! 🙂
69 REPLIES 69

Gabrielmage wrote:
Tried to boot without a CPU cooler, I'm still unable to boot.

Still code 55 if the memory is in slot A2? I assume after clear CMOS, as the CPU will get hot very quickly if not the case.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Still code 55 if the memory is in slot A2? I assume after clear CMOS, as the CPU will get hot very quickly if not the case.

I did a clear CMOS, yeap. I got a CC code and got stuck there, tried memOK! and got the same results, to be honest i didn't wait to see a 55 because i wasn't really confortable with the CPU without a cooler. I did however tried with the slots B1/2 and as ussual they did boot right away. Could retry if you suggest it.

I'm trying everything in my power before RMA, could this issue be related to the fact that the ram has leds, and somehow affect the motherboard? or in a far fetched way, the PSU? I've got a brand new EVGA SuperNova G3 850w, i mean they don't get more premium than that... but still i don't know what to think anymore.

Gabrielmage wrote:
I did a clear CMOS, yeap. I got a CC code and got stuck there, tried memOK! and got the same results, to be honest i didn't wait to see a 55 because i wasn't really confortable with the CPU without a cooler. I did however tried with the slots B1/2 and as ussual they did boot right away. Could retry if you suggest it.

I'm trying everything in my power before RMA, could this issue be related to the fact that the ram has leds, and somehow affect the motherboard? or in a far fetched way, the PSU? I've got a brand new EVGA SuperNova G3 850w, i mean they don't get more premium than that... but still i don't know what to think anymore.

If a single module in A2 only doesn't work then get the CPU checked out. If that's fine, then yes, the board will need to be returned. Our guys have reached out to Corsair for the memory kit, but haven't received it yet.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If a single module in A2 only doesn't work then get the CPU checked out. If that's fine, then yes, the board will need to be returned. Our guys have reached out to Corsair for the memory kit, but haven't received it yet.

I will try to get a friend to help me, i have tried the memory kit with his motherboard (all 4) and booted right away, i'll see if i can test my CPU on his motherboard as well.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know what the results are when the guys at HQ get to test my memory kit.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Raja:

Tried the memories in a friend's PC, booted right away, tried my CPU on his motherboard with my memories, got the same error. Removed 2 sticks and booted right away, im RMAing the CPU.

What's weird is that the 2nd motherboard i got (and stopped working along with the CPU) never worked again, with 4 dimms installed, even with a different CPU. I don't know if the motherboard damaged the CPU or the other way around, but you guys might want to look into it.

I'll let you know when i get the new CPU and test it.

Thanks for you help.

Raja
Level 13
Seen all kinds of cooler cause it. Sometimes there are machining tolerance problems that result in uneven mounting pressure. The Corsair H series shouldnt have this problem, but given you've been through three boards, it's worth ruling out the constants in the config.

Raja
Level 13
No problem. Interestingly, the memory arrived in our office last friday, just as I was getting ready to leave to head back to the UK. No updates from those guys yet, but based on what you're saying, it may not be an issue anyway.

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I was lucky, I was able to use all 4 slots of my Hero, I did use the Corsair Vengence 4x8GB 2800Mhz kit from my x99 system.
The 32GB kit wasn't on the QVL, but the 64GB kit was, but both use the same ram, I did wonder how you would get 8x8GB stick into a z270 board though..lol.

Didn't realize these chips bend so easily, I tightened down the kraken x61 well, but it had already been used so the bracket could of been a little looser.
Temps are good though.

I'm interested in the outcome and if the CPU was the problem.

schoolofmonkey wrote:
I was lucky, I was able to use all 4 slots of my Hero, I did use the Corsair Vengence 4x8GB 2800Mhz kit from my x99 system.
The 32GB kit wasn't on the QVL, but the 64GB kit was, but both use the same ram, I did wonder how you would get 8x8GB stick into a z270 board though..lol.

Didn't realize these chips bend so easily, I tightened down the kraken x61 well, but it had already been used so the bracket could of been a little looser.
Temps are good though.

I'm interested in the outcome and if the CPU was the problem.

As soon as I get my replacement from intel, i will update you guys with news

Gabrielmage wrote:
As soon as I get my replacement from intel, i will update you guys with news

Thought I'd jump in to say that I'm having the same exact problem Gabriel is having: A1 or A2 populated with any memory gives either 55 or cycles 01-03. I have almost his exact same build except I'm using Dominator (3600) 2x8Gb only. Currently have B1/2 populated and it posts fast with no problems (including no BSODs), but having a single DiMM in A1 or A2 causes 55/01-03 variations. Brand new as of 3/11 mobo, memory and CPU (i7/7700). I'm only planning on using 16Gb for the next few months, but if this is a defective board or CPU, I need to figure it out now to get RMA'd.