cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero Intel ME problem

vrnsk
Level 8
Hello, everyone!

There is a problem with my with Maximus IX Hero mobo.
After POST and BIOS logo I have an error message: (A7) ME FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock failed.
In Device Manager there is STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE near Intel Management Engine device.
And in system event logs there is "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware (FWSTS0: 0x90302242, FWSTS1: 0x84100006)."

What I've tried so far:
- Installing different versions of drivers.
- Changing CSM and secure boot settings.
- Updating my BIOS to latest 0906 -> had to return back to 0801 because of startup problems on 0906.
- Checked the socket for bent pins - no bent pins.

Nothing helped. I've googled through all the internet and haven't found any direct solution to this problem. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

My PC specs:
Intel Core i7 7700k
Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard
2x16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3000MHz
Asus ROG Strix Gaming GeForce GTX1080
WD Black 500Gb HDD
750W PSU
Windows 10 Pro x64
Default BIOS settings
13 REPLIES 13

chevell65
Level 12
Yes strange problem that many others have had in the past on many different platforms.

Another work around seems to be disabling the CPU Virtualization Technology in bios. Support for Hyper-V won't work but it should stop the error message.

Other fixes seem to be removing cmos battery for while then re-flashing bios. Having a defective memory stick seems to also cause the problem in some cases so testing memory or moving memory to different slots might also work.

Hello, guys,

looks like I've found the rootcause. I have 2x16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3000MHz RAM modules, and seems like one of the modules is defective. Memtested them separately in different slots: first module - no errors, second one - a lot of them. And the system boots and operates just fine when only the first (good) module is installed (had no (A7) ME FW Downgrade error). With the second module it takes considerably longer time to boot up and there is the error.
I'll return the modules to the retailer tomorrow and will ask for replacement.

Thank you for your help!

chevell65
Level 12
Thanks Nate, it took me quite awhile to track down all of the possible causes of this issue. Not an easy one to solve but Glad to see vrnsk is up and running.

Thanks for adding Rep who ever that was. :cool: