cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero and M.2 wifi

isaacc
Level 7
Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

xator wrote:
Hi there ppl,

I've managed to install an Intel 8265 AC wireless and Bluetooth 4.2 combo. Everything works like a charm, even from Bios. I've 3D-printed a little mount for the card, and with some patience the results are very good. Here are some pictures:

There's no problem at all, so if anyone wants to give it a try, just don't waste your time looking for the WifiGo module. This is great.

Bro you kind of forgot to tell people 1) the screw holes are totally off, 2) you need custom screws to tie it down because cases don't come with that kind of screw, 3) you need a nut to fasten the motherboard standoff to the 3D print and 4) hope you have power tools because you're gonna have to drill and sand down the right holes for this project. I wish I knew even a fraction of these details before I wasted my time and money printing these things only to find it a nightmare level project because nothing lines up right or measured out properly. It's a clusterf*ck of biblical proportions that I never would have partaken in had I known beforehand.

If you stumble on this thread from Google trying to get a mount for a M.2 WiFi card, take my advice and do NOT bother trying to print this thing out. It is a colossal waste of time, money and energy and will probably take years off your life attempting to finagle it together. Buy the official metal module and be happy.

KuraiShidosha wrote:
Bro you kind of forgot to tell people 1) the screw holes are totally off, 2) you need custom screws to tie it down because cases don't come with that kind of screw, 3) you need a nut to fasten the motherboard standoff to the 3D print and 4) hope you have power tools because you're gonna have to drill and sand down the right holes for this project. I wish I knew even a fraction of these details before I wasted my time and money printing these things only to find it a nightmare level project because nothing lines up right or measured out properly. It's a clusterf*ck of biblical proportions that I never would have partaken in had I known beforehand.

If you stumble on this thread from Google trying to get a mount for a M.2 WiFi card, take my advice and do NOT bother trying to print this thing out. It is a colossal waste of time, money and energy and will probably take years off your life attempting to finagle it together. Buy the official metal module and be happy.

Well, Bro, this is a very DIY project and, more important, it's a way of fixing the lack of the official metal module. It's not an official guide of anything, and I've just only exposed one solution I tried and got working. Needless to say, If you have a way to find and buy the official module, good for you. But in several countries, this module is not even avaliable, or you have to order it, used, from china or taiwan. So it isn't as easy as you are saying it is.

I'm sorry if you had a hard time with your setup, and I understand your concern but stumbling on a thread from Google won't guarantee you that it's a 0-problem solution.

Being this said, It's been more than a year since I did my "mod" and it is still working like a charm. It only cost me almost next to nothing to print the adapter plus the wireless card, and an afternoon of relaxed tinkering and work. I'd call that a success.

Anyway, excuse my english and have a nice day

Hi there!

After few months and 3 attempt to create wi-fi holder my friend and I finally make it! (I miss a little with one leg, but it's not matter) A.Catalin, thanks for photos, they decreased number of attempt.

It's important (if you want to use my holder) that it is made of Polyamide (or Versatile Plastic, this is the same) because this material provides sufficient accuracy.

STP file you may download from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/29hs681u79unbvn/holder.zip?dl=0
English is not my native language, so I'm sorry if I make some mistakes.

hi all sorry to resurrect an old thread but could you tell me for sure what wifi cards work on the ix hero i bought the 7265NGW from doing a quick google search i thought this would have worked but it didnt work
nothing was detected in windows and tried installing loads of different drivers but nothing worked so did another google search and found this thread from what i understand these to cards work is that correct thanks
9260 ngw
8265 NGW

i went for the 8265 works fine and the wireless works a lot better than my pci card

9260ngw installed today-works WI-FI and bluetooth. Who tried to install ax200ngw or ax210ngw?

A_Catalin
Level 8
I just found a WI-FI go module for sale in my country for ~8€ 😉
It fits perfectly, killer 1535 inside. Now I have to find a 2T2R Asus antenna

I found this: ASUS Wi-Fi +BT GoCard Mini PCIe M.2 WCBN808A-AD QCNFA364A Z170i Pro

It looks like the m.2 A key which I think can be plugged into an E key socket. Does anyone know for sure whether this would work in the Maximus IX Hero or not?

Woody

A_Catalin
Level 8
https://imgur.com/a/k6pnHUU

Sorry for the late reply, I just upgraded my module with an INTEL 9260, here are some measurements: