cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus ix formula usb header wrong!

ironman72
Level 8
My maxiums formula ix z270 have usb header 1314 wrong.. pins are in wrong way!!! nobody have same issue?

instead of

34 REPLIES 34

sdmf74
Level 11
If I read the thread correctly there is only one usb 2.0 header on the MIXF and it is right next to the rog ext connecter. If you connect the rog front base to the rog ext and usb headers than where will the nzxt plug in? It's not like you can plug the nzxt into the only header and than plug the front base into the nzxt cause the front bases cable is all one piece (usb and rog ext in one cable).
So no hub and no front panel usb 2.0 or no front base and use a stupid looking Hub
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just because you cant figure out how to do simple tasks does not mean it cannot be done.
For the simple minded I guess you will just have to choose one or the other. For those that have an IQ that is 1% above connectors one USB connection can host up to 127 devices per port, that header has two ports so 254 devices that you just need to make sure you provide power for as its going to cause an issue. This is where the POWERED hub comes in and you can daisey chain them almost infinitely.
Most of us have let go of the 3 year old technology known as the ROG Front base and come to grips with the reality that its pretty much useless bling, but it can still be done, you just have to think a tiny bit past plug and play, not by much, just a little.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

sdmf74
Level 11
Listen Justin man you can talk all that S*** hiding behind your computer but I guarantee you step out in the real world and talk to me like that and your gonna deeply regret it, I promise you that!

Now back to real discussion cause you dont understand what im saying & I didnt come here to get talked down to by some 16 year old child I was simply stating that since the rog ext connector works in tandem with the usb connector & its the only one if someone wants to use the gear they currently own and paid money for (wether you like said gear or not) than its not possible to use the front base and have front ports. And no you cant daisy chain and plug the front base into a hub.

Justin dont even respond to me cause if you wanna keep talkin trash we can take this to another level.

edit: Dude I just went through the thread again to make sure I didnt offend anyone, did you really get but hurt cause i said I didnt want to add a hub lol. I wasnt trying to offend you over your $20 hub (but personally I would have opted for the aquacomputer hubby 7 instead of the nzxt) I just simply meant with a $370 motherboard that claims to do it all I wouldnt want to add an ugly looking external piece that has to mount somewhere.

you do know u can buy an internal usb hub with 3 sets of usb pin headers on it from nzxt right ?
https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

leerock360 wrote:
you do know u can buy an internal usb hub with 3 sets of usb pin headers on it from nzxt right ?

So I can use this to plug in the usb 2.0 connector for the front panel usb's on my computer case?

Putting my system together today and just realized that plugging in the Corsair Link USB cable will use the only 2.0 header on the motherboard.
My fault for not checking out specs more carefully before getting the corsair 100i v2 cooler.

Looks like that NZXT hub is the way to go for these situations where the ROG Front Base (yes bling, but it's my badge of 'ROG marketing sucker' honor :p) is used with these newer IX motherboards along with other raw header items such as the Corsair RGB AIO coolers etc...

Thanks for the guys who posted the links, I had no idea there was such a thing...although I knew that USB supported tons of connections and that it was just a matter of some custom wiring... But we all want plug 'n 'play!

BTW $18.49 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NZXT-AC-IUSBH-M1-Internal-USB-Hub-/322322877960?hash=item4b0bf0ce08:g:gUwAAO...

leerock360 wrote:

lol you didnt read the thread did you? Yes but that hub has to plug into the motherboards only header in order to pass the signall

I dont think you guys get what im trying to say, Ill post a better pic

The reason the only usb 2.0 header is right next to the rog ext header is cause the front base's cable is all one piece, see pic below it has 18 female pins (17 actually)
and it doesnt seperate so there is no way to plug it in to the NZXT hub cause the NZXT doesnt have an rog-ext connector.

I actually think the front base is useful, I like to monitor my CPU temps/frequency and fan speeds on the front of my case, not to mention volume knob and headset and mic inputs etc. and for those of us that still want to use the front base it would seem that we will either have to use a custom cable or do away with other devices such as usb ports and or aio coolers etc.
Unless of course it would still work without plugging it into the usb port on motherboard, it may but I have never tried it. If I remember correctly it is not only there for the front base's usb port but also for firmware updates etc. but Again this too would require a custom cable.
That is why I was curious about a new version of the front base that someone in here said Asus was gonna release or considering it .

Please correct me if im wrong

(Apparently in Justin's infinite wisdom he still thinks that connector next to the on off switch is a usb 2.0 header)

Awe crap, I already forgot that the ROG Front Base wires are paired up on the same block connector... so yea, it's going to take some custom wiring to make the NZXT hub work regardless.

Might have to Dremel the connector in half, plug in the ROG EXT portion direct to the MB, and then splice on an extension wire to the USB side of the pre-made ROG cable which would then plug into the NZXT hub, and then a jumper line from the hub to the MB.

And yes just to confirm your statements, the header next to the on/off switch is the factory MB programming header... not a USB header.

The other bummer too, was that I was one of the original purchasers of the Front Base, and I have the first version (way too short) shielded audio cable as well....but in my old open air setup, it was plenty long so I never got a replacement longer cable that they offered....but now that I transplanted my Front Base to a new Corsair C70 case, there's no way in hell that audio cable will reach...so I'm not using the audio portion at all 😞

Edited out nasty quote as mods cleaned it up.
* The fact remains that a simple connector isn't going to stop the addition of a hub. My 16 YO son could figure that out. Would I like to see more? Well yes, but only so many headers will fit on a board. This was an engineering decision that isn't very difficult to work around. If you don't *want to add a hub, that's your decision. My point is it's 100% doable and that's irrefutable. A few simple tools, a hub of course and about 5 minutes of a 4 minute break is included. My cheap functional and easily sourced hub works great and it's not visible. * Good luck with your build. Mine came out perfectly and I applaud ASUS on a finely crafted product line with the Maximus IX series!*

Small challenges like this is part of the fun of building custom gear.* We get what you are trying to say, it's not a simple plug and play solution. That's not rocket science. In my infinite wisdom I'm more than 1% smarter than a front panel connector and find it quite elementary to modify. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

sdmf74
Level 11
Oh man I'm so sorry to hear that, I used to have a spare longer one (Asus sent me 2) but I think I sold it on ebay. I will check later this evening in my tub of pc parts and if by chance I didn't sell it I will pm you.