cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula & Vega 64 Liquid Cooled - UEFI-BIOS issues

Hauser_Ger
Level 8
Hi,

I recently upgraded from an 290X to a Vega 64.
When I cold start my computer now, I don't see anything and get a BIOS-beep (1x long, 3x short = GPU missing). After a little while I will then see the Windows logon. When rebooting I even see the BIOS Post and no more beep codes.

Enabling CSM fixes the beeps, but on first boot I still see no BIOS POST. Looking under "Tools\vBIOS/GOP Status" (at the Maximus's BIOS), where it should display some info from the Vega's UEFI-BIOS, it just says "select a valid GPU" (my 290X did deliver info here). So i guess it's safe to say there is a problem with the two UEFI-BIOS (Vega & Maximus) working together.

Is there any of you guys with a Maximus IX and a Vega? Any issues with your BIOS?

Thanks & greets,
Hauser
5 REPLIES 5

brkkab123
Level 7
Did you remove the old drivers for the 290x before installing th Vega 64 card ?
Did you reset the UEFI after the video card upgrade ?
Both of those need to be done.
Then download and install AMD's most recent drivers for the new video card and restart your pc.

JustinThyme
Level 13
^^^^^
Good advice given, just expand a little
Download and install DDU and uninstall all video drivers to date at the point from safe mode, Dont choose the reboot at this point.
While still in safe mode double check that the folders and all the contents in them for the drivers are gone.
reboot into windows.
download and istall Ccleaner and run the registry sweep and clean up your registry from these and anything else that may be looming.
shut down completely
remove power (turn off power supply and remove cord) and wait at least 30 seconds.
reapply power and boot.
If you get to windows boot with no issues then your UEFI is set and you can continue in and install the latest correct drivers
if not then shut back down and on the back use the clear CMOS button. Of course this means you will have to set up everything again as it all goes back to defaults. If you've been good, as you should be this close to Christmas, you will have recorded you BIOS settings for each and every screen so you don't have to fumble with that part. (I've screwed mine up so many times and had to fiddle with everything like a moron at some point so I remember all of it like a bad dream.........and eventually learned that there are things I don't need to mess with)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hi,

sorry I didn't mention that.
I actually did a clean install. So no left over drivers there. And I did a BIOS flash (update to v1009) and loaded the BIOS defaults.
Didn't help though. 😞

That's why I was hoping to find someone with the same HW specs (Maximus IX + Vega) to see if those issues are there as well.
(As I said, with CSM enabled there is no more beep codes. It's limited now to "black screen on cold boot until Windows logon" and "select a valid GPU" in "BIOS\Tools\vBIOS/GOP Status")

Greets & thanks for you help,
Hauser

Menthol
Level 14
I had a AMD 290 that the bios screen was very small, didn't fill the monitor, never discovered the issue but have you tried a different output on the Vid card, what cable, hdmi, dp?

Chino
Level 15
Hauser.Ger wrote:
Hi,

I recently upgraded from an 290X to a Vega 64.
When I cold start my computer now, I don't see anything and get a BIOS-beep (1x long, 3x short = GPU missing). After a little while I will then see the Windows logon. When rebooting I even see the BIOS Post and no more beep codes.

Enabling CSM fixes the beeps, but on first boot I still see no BIOS POST. Looking under "Tools\vBIOS/GOP Status" (at the Maximus's BIOS), where it should display some info from the Vega's UEFI-BIOS, it just says "select a valid GPU" (my 290X did deliver info here). So i guess it's safe to say there is a problem with the two UEFI-BIOS (Vega & Maximus) working together.

Is there any of you guys with a Maximus IX and a Vega? Any issues with your BIOS?

Thanks & greets,
Hauser

Was this a one time event or does it always occur when you boot up your system?