cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Extreme UBB3.1_E1 Port

rolldog
Level 9
I've been looking for a dedicated thread for this MB, but since I can't seem to find one, I'll start a new thread since other Asus boards probably have this same port.

I bought an Asus Maximus IX Extreme MB for a build when this board was initially released, but shortly after buying all my hardware, I moved and had to put the build on hold. Now that I've moved into my new house, I've started on this build again even though it seems like all my hardware is already dated.

I have a question about this board, or connector on this board, and I'm hoping someone can answer it for me. I noticed this MB comes with a USB 3.1 Front Panel Connector (USB3.1_E1), but I'm not quite sure what this port is used for since I've never seen anything that looks like this. I assume that if I use this port for anything, some sort of adapter is needed. Does anyone use this port? If so, what is it used for? The name says Front Panel Connector, but the case I'm using has 2 cables that look like USB 3.0 cables, but one connects to 3 x USB 3.0 ports on the front panel, which I can plug into the USB 3.0 connector on the MB and the other plugs into a USB 3.1 Type C port. However, since it's only powering one USB 3.1 Type C port vs 3 x USB 3.0 ports, I assume it's able to produce higher bandwidth.

Is there an adapter that I can use to connect this USB3.1_E1 adapter on the MB to this other connector, which looks exactly like the USB 3.0 connector, and hooks up to the USB 3.1 Type C connector on the front of my case or is this USB3.1_E1 port on the MB used for something completely different? I'd appreciate any advice before my hardware becomes even more outdated. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Chino wrote:
Despite having an USB 3.1 Type C port, the Tou 2.0 doesn't actually have a real USB 3.1 cable. Instead, it utilizes a normal USB 3.0 cable. It's the same thing on my D Frame 2.0.

I'm guessing you're looking for a female USB 3.0 to male USB 3.1 connector cable. Unfortunately, I don't think one exists at this moment.

You are exactly right. I bet In Win made one, but it's probably $100. I guess I'll have to just use the USB 3.0 port. I ordered a PCIe card that has another internal USB 3.0 port so I can at least use it. Even though it's not going to be performing at USB 3.1 speeds, I'm sure it would perform even less if sharing the same port as 3 x USB 3.0 ports.

I almost bought that D frame. How long have you had it?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Ever since it came out. I would say like a year and a few months. 🙂

I'm sure the D frame is much easier to work with than this Tou 2.0. With mirrored tempered glass on every side, it doesn't have much room to work with. I really want to use this borosilicate glass tubing I have. I think it would look great as a finished product, but this is my first time using glass and most of the tubing runs are short and awkward. I fit 2 x 360mm Aquacomputer radiators in it, which are stainless steel. I've tried using the stainless radiators made by Heatkiller but those were even harder to work with. The Aquacomputer rads are much thicker, and I had to make some spacers raising the top panel of the case by 25mm so the top rad would fit. If I thought one 360mm radiator would be enough to cool an overclocked 7700, the VRM, and an overclocked Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Extreme, then I probably would have been done with this build long ago. The 2nd 360mm rad fits on a fan mount, with 3 x 25mm fans, and is mounted in the very front of the case vertically, at a slight angle, which means no right angles in the tubing.

Would you have any idea if one 360mm rad would be enough to keep my components cool? Besides being mounted an an angle, the 2nd rad also covers half of the hard drive/fan mounts that attach to the MB tray. I wasn't planning to use all of them anyway, but I'd like to make an aluminum or acrylic hard drive enclosure and mount them directly on the MB tray. My reservoir will mount where some of these hard drive trays are, but I bought a really small reservoir since my space is already limited. If you have any suggestions about cooling everything using 1 x 360mm rad vs 2, I'd love to hear them. These rads only have G1/4 ports on one end of the radiator, so right now, I have a pile of fittings so I can try running the output from one rad to the input of another. Using a piece of glass tubing here would be impossible. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.