cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Extreme Cooling

Haralambos
Level 7
I have a ROG Extreme IX motherboard on order and I wish to install a Corsair H115i AIO cooler. There does not seem to be a CPU fan header on the motherboard. I am wondering how to make the H115i cable connections to this motherboard?
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Haralambos

The Maximus IX Extreme has six pwm fan headers, you could use any of those. I'm not sure but you might have to sacrifice corsair link and control the fans with the bios.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The extreme is not meant to use with an AIO cooler. Its made for custom loops. Thats money out the window on a perfectly good block. If you intend to use AIO the Code would be a better choice.
The Corsair isn't made to connect to a controller, it has its own. Its connections are the sata connector for power, RPM feedback to put on the CPU fan header (this board does not have one, its meant to run with the included mono block that has its own connector "water zone") then the two fan connections. You can leave the pump to run at 100% and abandon the fan connectors and connect the fans to any of the fan headers and use the BIOS to control fan speed or an external fan controller. I personally don't recommend AI Suite for anything.

I would strongly encourage dumping the AIO and using this board with a custom loop as intended.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The extreme is not meant to use with an AIO cooler. Its made for custom loops. Thats money out the window on a perfectly good block. If you intend to use AIO the Code would be a better choice.
The Corsair isn't made to connect to a controller, it has its own. Its connections are the sata connector for power, RPM feedback to put on the CPU fan header (this board does not have one, its meant to run with the included mono block that has its own connector "water zone") then the two fan connections. You can leave the pump to run at 100% and abandon the fan connectors and connect the fans to any of the fan headers and use the BIOS to control fan speed or an external fan controller. I personally don't recommend AI Suite for anything.

I would strongly encourage dumping the AIO and using this board with a custom loop as intended.

Hi JustinThyme

Your point is valid regarding the water block. ASUS hasn't provided all my needs in the other boards. Thunderbolt, wireless etc onboard. I'm not confident with custom loops. I'm use to the deluxe / premium boards of the past.

Nate152
Yep I agree with Justin on having the pump run at 100%.

I was thinking the same thing an AIO on the extreme? It can be done but as you say a waste of a good waterblock. On the bright side an H115i is cheaper than a custom loop. 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
If you remove the included water block how will you cool the VRM?

Menthol wrote:
If you remove the included water block how will you cool the VRM?

Thanks for the advice guys. I've changed my order to the Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 which is a better fit for me.

Nate152
Excellent point Menthol, it looks like it won't work after all.

What case do you have Haralambos?

I know it can mount at least a 280mm radiator, if you have the space you could get a pump/res combo.

Something like this, this one is assembled.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16994/ex-res-422/AquaComputer_Pump_Adapter_w_Aqualis_Reservoir_and...

You already have the motherboard waterblock and would perform and look better with the RGB lighting, all you'd need then is tubing, fittings and coolant and you're all set.

We'll help you if you have any questions.

Or you could get an external cooler with the pump/res/rad/fans built into the unit, nothing to mount inside the case.

Just add tubing, fittings and coolant.

http://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liquid-cooling-system-copper

I have the older Koolance ERM-2K3U, there's some pics in this thread I made about the maximus IX Code.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92094-Maximus-IX-Code-A-little-insight

Nate152

upsnef
Level 8
why not use EK predator AIO but use the Maximus block instead of the one with the predator
or any AIO with fittings

I'm sure it will give you a really good performance

EDIT: forget it, just saw you change the board