cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Code Fan Problems

Jsunn
Level 7
Hello All,

My fans plugged into the CPU header will stop running seemingly randomly. I noticed it twice now. Once, while the system was idle for a while and once while I was gaming.

This is a new build and I just reinstalled windows. I do not have AI Suite 3 installed. I didn't like AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert 4, it seemed buggy to me and the fans would get "stuck" at high speed, even if there wasn't any load, and the CPU temp was very low. I have PWM profiles set in the BIOS.

Before i reinstalled windows, I was using AU suite 3 and fan xpert 4 and all of the fans worked and I didn't have any issues, except for the fans getting stuck at high RPMs randomly.

I would rather not install AI Suite 3 if I don't need to.

I am using the Corsair HD 120s.

Any ideas?

-Jason
4 REPLIES 4

mdzcpa
Level 12
How many fans are plugged into that one header? a pair of rad fans or case fans? are you using a hub? All headers on the IX Code are PWM so PWM case fans can be run independently. I find a piece of software does a better job for more granular control over the BIOS.

mdzcpa wrote:
How many fans are plugged into that one header? a pair of rad fans or case fans? are you using a hub? All headers on the IX Code are PWM so PWM case fans can be run independently. I find a piece of software does a better job for more granular control over the BIOS.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have 3 fans hooked up to the header via a standard PWM type splitter. They are the Corsair HD 120 RGB fans.

I haven't been able to verify, but I have only noticed this on the CPU header.

I have three of the same type of fans hooked up with a 3 fan splitter on Chassis Fan 2.

When I was using AI Suite 3, I had the exact same fan setup and never saw this behavior. So the only change has been not using the software.

I do have 2 80mm fans hooked up to the Chassis Fan 3 header and I did notice that they were still running while the CPU fans had stopped.

Thanks,
J

Nate152
Hi Jsunn

You're cutting it close with three corsair HD RGB fans on one fan header, each fan is rated at 0.30A and with three that is 0.90A.

The fan headers support up to 1 amp, maybe try with two fans on one header.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Jsunn

You're cutting it close with three corsair HD RGB fans on one fan header, each fan is rated at 0.30A and with three that is 0.90A.

The fan headers support up to 1 amp, maybe try with two fans on one header.

I removed one of the fans and plugged it into a different header. So now I have no more than 2 fans plugged into each header.

I will report back if this solved the issue.

Thank you for the suggestion and help!
J