cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Apex XMP 4266MHz Issue.

Vangry
Level 7
Hello there.

Just built a new system with the Z270 Apex motherboard paired with a 7700K and I'm trying to make my G.Skill TridentZ 4266MHz ram to work but the system just won't boot at that frequency. What I did was enabled the XMP profile and dialed the bclk back to 100 which Is weird to be raised when applying the profile since I chose to not apply any core enhancements In the first place. The good thing Is that I can still run the ram at 4133MHz but not the Rams advertised speed. Is there any specific settings or voltages that I need to Input on top of the XMP*
Profile for the rated speed to work or Is It just my CPUs memory controller not able to handle 4266MHZ?
33 REPLIES 33

Raja
Level 13
If 1T can be had, it is worthwhile. Interestingly, this platform allows sub 1 clock command rate adjustments (1T+). Something I mean to get around to testing, but haven't toyed with yet. Probably be a few weeks before I can.

In the meantime, if you can get 1T - even by adding +1 to CAS and tRCD - I would do it. Evaluate how much more voltage is needed, though. Either way, the settings you are running now are faster than XMP for this memory kit, so no big deal if 1T can't be achieved.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If 1T can be had, it is worthwhile. Interestingly, this platform allows sub 1 clock command rate adjustments (1T+). Something I mean to get around to testing, but haven't toyed with yet. Probably be a few weeks before I can.

In the meantime, if you can get 1T - even by adding +1 to CAS and tRCD - I would do it. Evaluate how much more voltage is needed, though. Either way, the settings you are running now are faster than XMP for this memory kit, so no big deal if 1T can't be achieved.

Awesome. So far everything Is stable at the current settings passed 8 hours of Realbench with max memory load, now I'm pushing the cache as high as possible without adding extra Vcore. After that I will aim for CR 1 hopefully I could achieve that. Other than that I'm very happy with my results so far.

Thank you again for your time.

Vangry wrote:
Awesome. So far everything Is stable at the current settings passed 8 hours of Realbench with max memory load, now I'm pushing the cache as high as possible without adding extra Vcore. After that I will aim for CR 1 hopefully I could achieve that. Other than that I'm very happy with my results so far.

Where as you might well be fine, if memory stability is what you are looking to establish - try Google Stress App test or HCI Memtest pro.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Vangry wrote:

Couple of Questions, hope you can help.
I also have the same setup as you (TridentZ RGB 4266MHZ + 7700K)

Did you manually OC the CPU to 5.1 ghz or did you have Asus Software auto OC it for you?

I ran the Asus Auto OC and it got my 7700k to 5.1 ghz as well, I then went into Bios and enabled XMP to 4266 and was crashing and got a blue screen error.
I think I want to try what you did(To achieve 5.1ghz and 4133mhz Memory) since you had success using the same exact components as I.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated, my first build and I'm not very savvy with OC, but I know I should OC a bit since this Motherboard is built for that.

Thanks in advance.

Doug2507
Level 10
Looking for help raja...

Passed 2hrs of hci with sticks at 4300-17-17-1t 1.45/1.26/1.28. They're totally fine in windows the 1 in 50 times it actually boots. Restarted after that and back to 2b/55.

Basically a coin toss for booting. My fingers getting a blister from retry/mem ok. 😉

Anything to help boot? Changed from 701 to 801 and now can't even boot xmp 2t never mind any tuning. (2b/55)

Sorting rtl's wasn't easy either, 69/15/62/7 but finally sorted to 61/7/62/7

Doug2507 wrote:
Looking for help raja...

Passed 2hrs of hci with sticks at 4300-17-17-1t 1.45/1.26/1.28. They're totally fine in windows the 1 in 50 times it actually boots. Restarted after that and back to 2b/55.

Basically a coin toss for booting. My fingers getting a blister from retry/mem ok. 😉

Anything to help boot? Changed from 701 to 801 and now can't even boot xmp 2t never mind any tuning. (2b/55)

Sorting rtl's wasn't easy either, 69/15/62/7 but finally sorted to 61/7/62/7

You can try MRC Fast Boot = Enabled and setting Initial BCLK Frequency (Tweaker's paradise) to 2 MHz lower than BCLK Frequency.

jab383
Level 13
Wow. 4300 cl17. Doin' good. I have some of the same booting trouble. The suggestion is not to boot in the Windows operating condition.

I have ram set for 4133 cl14. I boot with 100MHz Bclk and elevated RAM voltage. "Eventual RAM voltage" in tweaker's paradise is set for the lower running voltage that is more stable for me. After booting into windows, I raise Bclk to get near 4200. Even then, I have to beat the retry button a few times.

Have you tried tweaking Vppddr? I found that levels a little lower than the automatic work well with Samsung b-die.

For a RAM stability test, try y-cruncher, the benchmark from HWBOT. It's the most stringent test of both CPU and RAM I have found. The 1b benchmark runs in about a minute and a half. If RAM passes that, it will run anything. Be sure to run a very stable CPU profile so that you can blame RAM if y-cruncher throws errors. Likewise, use a very stable RAM profile to test the CPU.

Doug2507
Level 10
Cheers guys, I shall test further.

I even swapped to rajas profile last night which wouldn't post, dropped primaries to 19, still no boot. Had to put secondaries to auto and finally got in, ran aida then on restart back to 55. Just seems buggy as hell and extremely inconsistent hence the frustration.

I've played about with pretty much all voltages (boot/eventual) and still never been able to boot a set of timings twice in a row.

Also checked down at 3866. Took them all the way down to cl14 with ease on 2t but couldn't even get cl16 to boot 1t.

Doesn't seem to make a difference having bclk on 100 or 104, still won't post 99/100.

All seems very strange considering I was able to 2hr hci 4300c17 without error, 4360 32m and 4400 1m.

Maybe insignificant but my board totally reset itself (not even saved profiles retained) a few days ago before even touching these sticks.

I'll check sticks individually today and cross check channels.

Doug2507
Level 10
Tried getting them running again but back to 701. Just keeps getting progressively worse and now 2b everytime even on xmp/2t.

I'll test with another chip this weekend but failing that looks like I'll need to grab another board to check.

Doug2507
Level 10
Persevered today and checked 0026 also. Nothing but bad news, now pch debug galore. IMC?