cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Apex and intesgrated graphics

jab383
Level 13
I'm trying to switch the rig in my signature from a PCIe card to integrated graphics for a HWBOT contest.

BIOS setting of igfx for primary display does not stick and BIOS uses the PCIe VGA.

I tried several times with no PCIe card installed. BIOS does not find the igfx and does not finish POST when igfx is the only choice. POST ends with code A0, the white VGA led lit and a blank screen.

Igfx is not found by Windows 7, so the Intel driver cannot be installed.

A clue to the problem is that BIOS settings System Agent tab shows the "Integrated Graphics VBIOS version" as N/A.

The above happens for BIOS version 801 and factory original 401.

Any help?
16 REPLIES 16

apex drivers, bios utilities it's an app. I through it might be useful or not. any progress ?

littlebit wrote:
apex drivers, bios utilities it's an app. I through it might be useful or not. any progress ?

Oh, the BIOS renamer. I find it much easier to rename manually. In the last hours I have put 3 versions of BIOS on a thumb drive, each renamed to M9A.CAP.

Resulting progress was negative. Versions 701 and 906 are added to the list that behave the same. I fear I am missing some BIOS setting. Perhaps someone has had the same difficulty. Perhaps it's just this one APEX board. My next try is to swap in another CPU.

Please note in considering loose cables or monitor difficulty, that the symptom there is a blank display and the white VGA LED is OFF. The white LED being ON is symptom of BIOS finding no video adapter.

jab383
Level 13
This is not resolved and may be worse than I thought. The exact same condition appears when trying to use internal graphics with

M9 Apex BIOS 701, 801 and 906
M8 Extreme BIOS 1402, 3201 and 3401
three different 7530K - Kaby Lake BIOS versions
two different 6700K - All the above BIOS versions

In all those cases, the System Agent PCIe tab lists video BIOS as N/A and post does not find any VGA when there is no PCIe card installed. The white VGA LED remains lit while booting proceeds to its conclusion (Windows with the boot LED off or what should say 'press F1' for safe boot or a new processor with the boot LED on.) The same motherboards, BIOS, CPUs, cable and monitor work properly with a PCIe VGA. I think I'm doing something consistently wrong, or is there a consistent problem with all those versions of BIOS?

All those CPUs, cable, monitor etc work with internal graphics on another non-ASUS Z170 motherboard. I'll have to use that for the contest.

elmor
Level 10
#1 Make sure you don't have LN2 Mode Enabled
#2 Clear CMOS
#3 Measure GPU Voltage at the ProbeIt points after starting without an external VGA

jab383
Level 13
Elmore: "#1 Make sure you don't have LN2 Mode Enabled"

THANK YOU. Trying with LN2 mode disabled as soon as I can.

jab383 wrote:
Elmore: "#1 Make sure you don't have LN2 Mode Enabled"

THANK YOU. Trying with LN2 mode disabled as soon as I can.

LN2 Mode disables the IGPU for safety reasons (it can take damage from the increased voltages).

jab383
Level 13
Thanks again. I may have known that in the past, because i've used iGPU before. Obviously I forgot. That was the consistent error I made with the M9A and M8E.