Raja
Level 13
40 REPLIES 40

jab383
Level 13
Thanks for another gem, Raja.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I just receive my hero ix big question these could apply to 6th gen CPU? Or only for new one. The oc data looks the same without some data live avx*
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
I just receive my hero ix big question these could apply to 6th gen CPU? Or only for new one. The oc data looks the same without some data live avx*

http://edgeup.asus.com/2015/08/05/all-things-asus-z170-skylake-platform-overviews-build-guides-overc...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXBnOXRWeVlHcHM/view
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

7Thanks Silent Scone for the links. I was thinking that having a z270 board the OC where diferent. I sit downs with a friend of mine yesterday and we got 4.7 at 1.392 with few tweeks here and there. Very cstates off and performance on windows. it is stable. but maybe other ideas will be nice. Still learning. [

Silent Scone wrote:
http://edgeup.asus.com/2015/08/05/all-things-asus-z170-skylake-platform-overviews-build-guides-overc...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXBnOXRWeVlHcHM/view

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62709
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Does memory XMP affect CPU voltage demands? At base memory speeds my 4.8Ghz 1.250vcore is perfectly fine and stable. Can bench for hours without fault. As soon as I set my memory to XMP which is 3200Mhz, I get crashes in Realbench after only a couple minutes.

I've tried raising DRAM voltage, especially because for some weird reason the board isn't providing 1.35v like the memory asks for, it's only getting 1.344v instead. Raising that to 1.36 didn't help at all.

Then I tried raising VCCIO and SA to 1.2v up from ~1.15v. Also didn't help at all. Strangely power consumption dropped tremendously when I had the above voltages applied when compared to Auto and they were lower. Still, stability was much worse.

The only thing I can think of is raising CPU voltage. But is this normal? Does memory overclock really require a stable CPU voltage to be raised? I'm trying to keep voltage down as much as possible to avoid degradation. I'm pretty sure I've already seen some, or maybe it was just that initial burn in phase, because when I first got the chip 4.8Ghz was stable for Prime95 small FFT at 1.20v. After a few days I had to keep raising it to 1.25v to get it stable. This whole time XMP has been active but now I'm not stable at even 1.250v. That's when I decided to set the memory to standard and see what happens and yep the chip is perfectly fine at 1.250v again.

What should I do and/or be experiencing here?

KuraiShidosha wrote:
Does memory XMP affect CPU voltage demands? At base memory speeds my 4.8Ghz 1.250vcore is perfectly fine and stable. Can bench for hours without fault. As soon as I set my memory to XMP which is 3200Mhz, I get crashes in Realbench after only a couple minutes.

I've tried raising DRAM voltage, especially because for some weird reason the board isn't providing 1.35v like the memory asks for, it's only getting 1.344v instead. Raising that to 1.36 didn't help at all.

Then I tried raising VCCIO and SA to 1.2v up from ~1.15v. Also didn't help at all. Strangely power consumption dropped tremendously when I had the above voltages applied when compared to Auto and they were lower. Still, stability was much worse.

The only thing I can think of is raising CPU voltage. But is this normal? Does memory overclock really require a stable CPU voltage to be raised? I'm trying to keep voltage down as much as possible to avoid degradation. I'm pretty sure I've already seen some, or maybe it was just that initial burn in phase, because when I first got the chip 4.8Ghz was stable for Prime95 small FFT at 1.20v. After a few days I had to keep raising it to 1.25v to get it stable. This whole time XMP has been active but now I'm not stable at even 1.250v. That's when I decided to set the memory to standard and see what happens and yep the chip is perfectly fine at 1.250v again.

What should I do and/or be experiencing here?

What memory kit?

Auto ruling scales with frequency and is designed to work on a worst-case basis for poorer samples. So reducing this voltage manually would likely result in a reduction in power consumption (however you might be measuring it).

You can try Maximus Tweak Modes 1 / 2 from under the DRAM Timing page and test memory stability accordingly to see if these help. A slight bump in vcore may be required depending on how conditional the overclock stability is. If raising vcore helps pass Prime, then this is the solution.

Personally I would test with Realbench for 2 to 4 hours followed by HCI Memtest or Google Stress App for memory stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I bumped my vcore up to 1.275v. It's running stable now, but I never thought I'd need to push CPU voltage up because I increase DRAM frequency. That seems odd to me. I know on my last build, a 3770k and 1600Mhz DDR3, I never noticed any drop in stability when using XMP.

I just hope I don't discover instability further down the road and need more and more Vcore to maintain. Very frustrating.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Thanks Raja amazing link.

Question. there are is a way to check if it is posible to adapt the manual to skylake on the z270. *We just put ours here to 4,7 at 1,392 volts it is amazing how clean an more stable Is ere with z170. if someone knows a good reading for z270 running 6700K please send it so I can check my data

Carlos

Raja@ASUS wrote:
http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

enjoy.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Raja
Level 13
Vcore on this platform supplies both the CPU cores and Uncore - so, memory overclocking can impact the required Core/Cache voltage for a given core/uncore frequency.

Wish that my 7700k could go with 1.250 on variable turbo voltage. I need to use 1.285v (on aida64 I see 1.344v) with level 5 LLC to pass tests on 4.8 GHz 😞