cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent/rare Code 55 errors

Raad11
Level 7
I just got a Maximus IX Hero with i7-7700k and G.Skill DDR4-3600 CAS 15 memory ( https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz ). 2x8GB in slots A2 and B2 (the light gray ones, not the black ones).

So when I first assembled it, everything seemed fine. I messed around in the BIOS, set memory to XMP profile, began plugging in different peripherals, and at some point the system crashed or rebooted in some way (I might have even restarted it, don't remember) and it didn't boot. I saw the motherboard had Code 55. I reset it and it booted normally. This is with the motherboard/CPU/RAM/HD out of the case, on the mobo box, not hooked up to any case/screws.

(HSF is Noctua DH-15S btw).

So I just went on. At some point it happened again. Then I became concerned. I loosened the heatsink screws just a little (in retrospect, I've read Noctua HSFs can't be overtightened so I retightened to just where they don't screw anymore). I put it in the case (Corsair 200R). I sat up the case, turned it on... Code 55.

I lowered it, this is the part where I retightened HSF screws, pushed around on the RAM/mobo/etc. Restarted it a whole bunch of times. No Code 55 yet. Installed GPU, sound card, etc, WIndows 10 on the HD... no Code 55 so far.

What should I do? I don't recall seeing any bent CPU pins, but I did use the CPU installation tool which in hindsight I probably shouldn't have. That thing was weird and I, a veteran system builder (though not troubleshooter usually), felt uncomfortable pushing the CPU into it. It could be I overtightened the CPU in there somehow. Who knows.

So.. is this more likely to be a hardware issue, maybe motherboard awkwardly warped in some way that was fixed by moving it around... or is it the RAM? CAS 15 @ DDR4-3600 are pretty tight settings. Should I tinker with those in any way? Voltage or whatever?

I'm just going to keep the system running for as long as possible and see what happens. I really don't feel like panicking and returning CPU/Mobo/RAM to Newegg at this point.

What are your suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

Raad11
Level 7
Actually, CPUZ says my RAM is F4-3600C15-8GTZ. Either way it's 2x8GB, DDR4-3600, 1.35v, 15-15-15-35.

Hello I have the same problems as many people I START the pc it locked on the 55 or CC on QLED, CC error is not in the manual

Menthol
Level 14
Raad11, you hit on all the correct possibilities for failure, CPU socket, mounting pressure, module installation, I don't see any reason to panic, at the most minor bios tweaking may be needed for complete stability with memory frequency that high. That memory kit is one of the best on the market for overclocking

ficel666, is your system stable at default values (F5) in bios? best place to start is what Raad11 did, check CPU socket for damaged pins, correct mounting of heatsink and memory modules, updated bios, read the Z-270 guide http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/03/z270-motherboard-guide/
All memory kits may not be able to reach rated XMP speed on all CPU's and may need some fine tuning of bios settings, I have seen code CC during memory overclocking, clear cmos will clear this code

Menthol wrote:
Raad11, you hit on all the correct possibilities for failure, CPU socket, mounting pressure, module installation, I don't see any reason to panic, at the most minor bios tweaking may be needed for complete stability with memory frequency that high. That memory kit is one of the best on the market for overclocking

ficel666, is your system stable at default values (F5) in bios? best place to start is what Raad11 did, check CPU socket for damaged pins, correct mounting of heatsink and memory modules, updated bios, read the Z-270 guide http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/03/z270-motherboard-guide/
All memory kits may not be able to reach rated XMP speed on all CPU's and may need some fine tuning of bios settings, I have seen code CC during memory overclocking, clear cmos will clear this code

So, worst case scenario, I take apart the entire system, check for bent pins and reassemble, right? System's been up since that post without issues, including several hours of gaming.

If it's a memory/OC issue, are there any specific timings I should modify with this kit that people have talked about on the forums? I know there's that one Asus employee here who gives out very specific settings for certain kits/systems (Raja?).

Chino
Level 15

Nate152
Hi Raad11

With sporadic code 55 I'd lean towards ram instability.

At the top of the Dram Timing Control page Maximus Tweak Mode 2 sometimes helps.

Maximus Tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility
Maximus Tweak Mode 2 - Helps with overclocking

If that doesn't help, in the bios on the Extreme Tweaker tab try raising the CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO voltage.

CPU System Agent voltage - Anywhere from 1.15v up to 1.30v
CPU VCCIO voltage - Anywhere from 1.15v up to 1.25v

You may have to try it a few times until it boots, start with them both at 1.15v and if it doesn't boot try them both at 1.20v, then both at 1.25v if needed and finally SA voltage to 1.30v.

Setting your ram manually sometimes gives better results too.

sdmf74
Level 11
I agree with the fact that entering voltages and timing manually is a better idea than using XMP, it seems to have worked for me..... so far anyway.

The mention of the cpu installation tool possibly somehow causing code 55 has got me wondering, I used it as well & Im now wondering if it was a bad idea.....
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

hello, thanks Nate152, it is 3 days no error QLED, I left the RAM to 2133 and
Maximus tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility

Hello I come back, again the same problem impossible to use 2 RAM (2*8go ddr4 3000), I tried all the settings given on the forum, its walking 3 or 4 days and after the problem comes back, Qled 55 , CC, with 1 ram no problem, please asus fix the probleme please new bios