cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel optane with Samsung 960 pro

qUAanA
Level 10
Hey guys

Seems only natural to point out this question once the tech is available next month.

Intel optane m.2 is releasing April 24 tho with 16 and 32gb. They claim that this optane m.2 will increase your systems storage performance by 30% (that's spinning hard drives).
Now since slot 1 m.2 is occupied by Samsung 960pro (slot 1 is the only slot providing pcie x4).
Would I be able to use slot 2 with intel optane m.2?
We shall soon find out.*
2 REPLIES 2

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I know the tech since 2012. I do not think that you will see the difference. Is most for normal mechanical HD. and should see some numbers in 6gb SSD improvement. That I am expecting. The good question is you can add these with out installing again the OS. since was the drawback from that tech.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

chevell65
Level 12
qUAanA wrote:
Hey guys

Seems only natural to point out this question once the tech is available next month.

Intel optane m.2 is releasing April 24 tho with 16 and 32gb. They claim that this optane m.2 will increase your systems storage performance by 30% (that's spinning hard drives).
Now since slot 1 m.2 is occupied by Samsung 960pro (slot 1 is the only slot providing pcie x4).
Would I be able to use slot 2 with intel optane m.2?
We shall soon find out.*

Yes it will work and the 16 or 32GB cache of non volatile Optane memory in the 2nd M.2 slot will make a fairly big difference in performance. This according to the YouTube Optane technology question and answer session that was live just two days ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VQ16dldlA