cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Admit Defeat. Can't Install Win 10 on NVMe SSD (as Boot) w/ Hero IX. Please Help!

LostBuild
Level 7
Hello all. I am attempting to use my NVMe SSD as the boot drive. Unfortunately, I'm unable to install Windows 10. I've tried a number of different boot configurations and so far have been wildly unsuccessful. NOTE: This is a fresh build, not an upgrade.

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2GHz LGA 1151
Motherboard: Maximus IX Hero Z270 (BIOS updated to v0801)
SSD: Samsung NVMe 960 Pro M.2 512GB (plugged into M.2_1 socket)
Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws 4 8GB (x4)
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
Power Supply: EVGA 850 G2

So far I've attempted to: install Windows via the disk, via a USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, and via a USB using Rufus. Additionally, I've tried various recommended boot set-ups with/without CSM enabled, with OS type set to 'Other OS' or 'Windows UEFI Mode' and with/without secure boot keys cleared.

Sometimes Windows will make it all the way the through the installation process before crashing and attempting to restart the installation, sometimes it will crash halfway through. Often times it will simply fail to begin the installation at all.

I've searched a number of forums (tomshardware, tinkertry, etc.) but all reference different motherboards, Samsung's 950 SSD or a combination of both. I've exhausted my limited know-how and was hoping someone on here could help.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi LostBuild

There are some youtube videos that may help you, I don't have an M.2 NVMe ssd but it looks like you're doing it right.

Here is one.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi LostBuild

There are some youtube videos that may help you, I don't have an M.2 NVMe ssd but it looks like you're doing it right.

Here is one.

Excellent install instruction
Thank You 😄

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I just did the same 2 days ago, used Windows 10 Anniversary update image on my Samsung 950 Pro.
Heck the previous version of Windows that was first installed on it when it was in a x99 machine booted fine too.

Have you tried install Windows with 1 stick of ram or with a fresh cleared BIOS after loading optimal defaults?

What you're describing could be a memory issue, because mine just worked out of the box.

schoolofmonkey wrote:
I just did the same 2 days ago, used Windows 10 Anniversary update image on my Samsung 950 Pro.
Heck the previous version of Windows that was first installed on it when it was in a x99 machine booted fine too.

Have you tried install Windows with 1 stick of ram or with a fresh cleared BIOS after loading optimal defaults?

What you're describing could be a memory issue, because mine just worked out of the box.

schoolofmonkey,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried to install with a fresh cleared BIOS w/ optimal defaults.

I haven't tried it w/ only 1 stick, so I'll do that now.

chevell65
Level 12
Are you using the upper M.2 slot?

chevell65 wrote:
Are you using the upper M.2 slot?

@ chevell65 - Yes, that's the slot I'm using.

qUAanA
Level 10
seems like your ssd is caput, may need rma.
that's the only solution I come with by reading the symptoms of your ssd.

qUAanA wrote:
seems like your ssd is caput, may need rma.
that's the only solution I come with by reading the symptoms of your ssd.

@ qUAanA - I don't think so. I initially thought that might be the problem, so I sent my first SSD back (same model; 960 Pro) and got the replacement I'm currently using. I'm encountering all the same issues.

Thanks everyone; the problem has been solved.

SchoolofMonkey was correct. I had 1 bad memory stick out of the 4. Thanks a million for the suggestion; you've made my day! 😄