cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - PC not working and BIOS freezing

FDSage
Level 10
Got hit with a Q code 99. A few days back the PC didn't boot and had Q code 94, but ran fine after a reboot. I don't know if that's related or not. It's been running smoothly for months until now.

Today it failed to boot and when it does boot, it freezes. First it didn't make it passed the logo screen with "press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS". I was going to try updating BIOS to see if that would help but when I get into BIOS it freezes before I can get too far and the LEDS on my keyboard freeze too. After I power off the system the LEDs on my keyboard stay lit, which isn't normal.

Is my mobo busted or what?
18 REPLIES 18

FDSage
Level 10
So I managed to get into Windows with my HDDs showing. The Corsair K95 keyboard may have been the issue, whether partially or fully.

Before this issue, I had moved my PC, so the PSU was turned off.
I noticed when I turn on the PSU, the keyboard will light up right away, before even booting up the system. Normally, after a regular shutdown, the keyboard stays off until next boot.
After booting the system, startup would either hang or freeze in the UEFI BIOS, and the keyboard lights would freeze (animated by default).

I'm not sure if the BIOS was actually freezing as it may have just been keyboard/mouse not responding. Though that doesn't explain the frozen ROG logo on boot.

For now, I'm going to blame Corsair, but I'll post again if the issue is still present.

Nate152
All right, good to hear you got it semi sorted.

Give us an update at anytime. 🙂

Freezing alot of the time is ram related.

FDSage
Level 10
The keyboard has the newest firmware.

Failed to boot today. Got to the Windows loading screen, but no spinning circle and code AE. I waited but it never loaded.

Tried unplugging the keyboard and booting again, no display and code 62.

No clue what's going on here.

Nate152
With everything connected code AE means it's looking for an operating system.

If you're able to enter the bios, double check the boot order.

FDSage
Level 10
Unable to get to bios =/

Error 62 again.

Nate152
Code 62 is likely some sort of gpu error.

Clear the cmos and if no help....

Check the pcie power cables are connected to the Strix 1080 and the monitor cable is connected, you could try other monitor cables, HDMI and Displayport.

If still no help....

You could try removing the Strix 1080 and connect to the onboard graphics.

FDSage
Level 10
I was a bit busy and haven't tried taking out the gpu yet, but I've been turning it on here and there to at least see what it does. I'm most consistently seeing the Windows loading screen with no loading circle and code AE. Last I checked the correct drive is first in the boot order. Is it more likely the OS was corrupted or the SSD is bad? Or something else?

The error codes have really been all over the place and it seems all of them have the possibility of a bad motherboard. I'm thinking it might be the mobo, but I'm a kind of an amateur when it comes to this stuff.

I did decide I want to go for Coffee Lake regardless, and Maximus X Hero was on sale so I went for it and have the new motherboard ready to go. It's unfortunate the 8700K is having stock issues so it could be a while before I get to test out the new board. I've got my fingers crossed it'll fix the problems, though. If not I'll at least know it's something else and can come back to try and diagnose some more.

Nate152
I might try reinstalling windows to see if it will boot, for now let's hope it's just a corrupt OS.