cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - PC not working and BIOS freezing

FDSage
Level 10
Got hit with a Q code 99. A few days back the PC didn't boot and had Q code 94, but ran fine after a reboot. I don't know if that's related or not. It's been running smoothly for months until now.

Today it failed to boot and when it does boot, it freezes. First it didn't make it passed the logo screen with "press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS". I was going to try updating BIOS to see if that would help but when I get into BIOS it freezes before I can get too far and the LEDS on my keyboard freeze too. After I power off the system the LEDs on my keyboard stay lit, which isn't normal.

Is my mobo busted or what?
18 REPLIES 18

FDSage
Level 10
Well I used USB Flashback to update the BIOS and now my keyboard and mouse are undetected and not powered. I guess it's just busted.

Nate152
Hi FDSage

What code is the motherboard giving you now and do you have display ?

I just booted it up, keyboard, mouse, and display turned on, then all went off. Code was 96. After a moment, KB/M and display came on, it looked like it was starting up again but no change to the PC fans and lights. Windows booted up but took quite a while longer than usual. Both my HDDs are not being detected by Windows now.

Nate152
Thank you

Code 96 = PCI Bus Assign Resources

Do you have anything in any of the pcie slots besides your gpu ?

If not, I came across this and it is a board problem, it's for the Maximus VI Extreme but the same codes apply.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34557-Q-code-96-after-rebooting-a-few-times-with-extreme-v...

FDSage
Level 10
Does M.2 count? If not, my gfx card is the only thing in PCIe.

Nate152

FDSage
Level 10
I took it apart, cleaned everything out, reset cmos, but BIOS still freezes. There was a pretty significant amount of dust in there, I wouldn't think that could cause any kind of permanent damage/electrical issues but who knows...

Monitors wouldn't cause any kind of issue like this, right? I had an Acer Predator for about a week but sent for a replacement due to dead pixels. This issue started occurring around the same time I got the replacement set up. It's probably just a coincidence but I'm just grasping at straws.

It's not the end of the world if I have to get a new mobo since part of me wants to upgrade to Coffee Lake, but it'll be good if I can find out if the issue isn't a busted board and avoid spending.