Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU AIO header? | Asus Z270 Rog Strix Gaming E

g_tse
Level 7
Hello folks,

I have 2 quick questions.

1. For those of you that have a watercooled GPU, where do you connect your GPU AIO?

I am looking for a fan header where I can connect my GPU pump cable (from a EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hyrid) that will allow me to set a curve based on the GPU temp in AI Suite.
The card is flashed with the ASUS Strix 1080ti vbios so I know it can be done - I have done it for the fan on the radiator, see below.

2) How do you change the source for the AIO_Pump header in AI SUITE?? Everything is greyed out in this window.
I want the curve to be based on the GPU temp, not on the CPU's (just like I have the radiator fan).

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
If it's greyed, then it probably doesn't support that function. That header is for AIO pumps after all. Perhaps you can try the High AMP fan header.

Its just an arbitrary restriction by Asus, same as limiting curves to 75 degrees top. Here they've decided AIO header should be only controlled by CPU.

It's not a hardware restriction - header itself is perfectly capable of controlling itself with any temp if you don't use Asus software - e.g. via SpeedFan or Argus Monitor.

RidingTheFlow wrote:
Its just an arbitrary restriction by Asus, same as limiting curves to 75 degrees top. Here they've decided AIO header should be only controlled by CPU.

It's not a hardware restriction - header itself is perfectly capable of controlling itself with any temp if you don't use Asus software - e.g. via SpeedFan or Argus Monitor.

Thanks for the reply! I had never heard of Argus, just downloaded it but both Speedfan and Argus look complicated to me.
Have you used any of those?
Are there any others to propose?

I am using Argus monitor on my Prime Z270-A. No problems whatsoever - the only software which allows to properly control some fans by maximum(GPU, CPU) temps and smooth out Kaby Lake temperature spikes (because fan delays in ASUS BIOS are rubbish.

RidingTheFlow wrote:
I am using Argus monitor on my Prime Z270-A. No problems whatsoever - the only software which allows to properly control some fans by maximum(GPU, CPU) temps and smooth out Kaby Lake temperature spikes (because fan delays in ASUS BIOS are rubbish.

Followed your advice, bought a licence for Argus and tweaked it to my needs!
Unistalled AI Suite now, didn't use anything else except for the fan control anyway so I am pretty happy.
Only question is (if you know the reply). Does Argus treat the CPU_OPT fan as an independent header or is that fixed to mirror the CPU_Fan header in all software?
If it does, I can move my GPU pump there and tweak it instead of running both the CPU & GPU pump off 1 header with a splitter...

Thanks!

g.tse wrote:
Does Argus treat the CPU_OPT fan as an independent header or is that fixed to mirror the CPU_Fan header in all software?

CPU_OPT header is electrically connected to CPU_Fan, they are on same Fan channel signal and basically an on-board splitter.
It's not possible to control them independently.

g_tse
Level 7
Well that clears that up very nicely, thanks!

I am asking for the following 2 reasons.

First, I can't trace the AUFAN1 (see below screengrab) and I thought that it might be the CPU_Opt..
I know all the fans I use and I have renamed them accordingly in Argus, so I really don't know which one this is...
The only way for me to trace the fans in Argus is to switch to manual control and ramp it up to 100%...

The second reason I am asking is that I also have an Asus Fan Extension card (not connected at the moment).

Since I have now found Argus, that independently controls curves based on GPU and CPU temps, I am thinking of reconnecting it.
This will allow me to run the GPU pump to a seperate header and control it through Argus instead of controlling both pumps through the AI_pump header.
Will Argus recognize it?

g.tse wrote:
Since I have now found Argus, that independently controls curves based on GPU and CPU temps, I am thinking of reconnecting it.
This will allow me to run the GPU pump to a seperate header and control it through Argus instead of controlling both pumps through the AI_pump header.
Will Argus recognize it?

Not sure, if extension card will work - guess it depends how its implemented and if Argus supports it. No harm in trying.
I also have this spare "aux" fan which not connected to everything - it may have something to do with this extension card.

If you will be unable to have fan card to work with Argus you still have following options:
- use fan card for fans which acceptable for BIOS control
- try to think which fans really supposed to be independent and which could be just fed from same header via Y-cable. Even without IO card, you still have 5 independent fan channels - its very unlikely that this is not sufficient.

RidingTheFlow wrote:

- try to think which fans really supposed to be independent and which could be just fed from same header via Y-cable. Even without IO card, you still have 5 independent fan channels - its very unlikely that this is not sufficient.

You're right. I'll probably just use the 2 fronts fans from 1 fan fan header (via spliter) and connect the gpu pump header to the other header.
Let's see if that works. Not sure if that header will give the proper voltage to the pump (like the AI_pump header) though. I think I tried that and it worked at 100% constantly...