cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra drives in the boot order

bachastain
Level 7
I'm wondering if this is happening to others as well. STRIX Z270F. I have a variety of drives, SATA, M.2, Blu-ray, and USB. I have the first 2 drives in the boot order set to the SATA Blu-ray optical drive and a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Windows 10 boot drive.

Seemingly at random when I go in to the BIOS I'll find extra drives have been added past my first 2 drives. No matter how many times I delete the extras they just come back again on the next boot. The only way to get the extras off the list is to physically disconnect them, and then other drive(s) get inserted instead.

Only my M.2 C: drive has an O/S on it. I've tried deleting the contents of hte extra drives and they still get added. I've tried reformatting and still they get added. I can't figure out why the BIOS is modifying my boot order.

I've been on BIOSs 0906 and now 1004. No change.

Are others seeing this or is it just me? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi bachastain

It's normal for your drives to show up in the boot order, just make sure your M.2 drive is set as the first boot option and all should be good.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi bachastain

It's normal for your drives to show up in the boot order, just make sure your M.2 drive is set as the first boot option and all should be good.

I'm missing something here. Why would it let me edit the list if it's going to ignore me?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
You can configure the BIOS to only boot from one device and disable the others.

Well, heck. I tried just 1 drive and it works. So I put it back to my optical drive and M.2 SSD and it's still working. First time I've ever seen it not add extra drives. My guess is BIOS 1004 fixed it but it took a few resets to stick. Thanks!