cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling EK D5 Pump RPM on ROG APEX Motherboard

Nick_Peyton
Level 7
Hi,

I have the Z270 ROG Maximus APEX motherboard.

I have my EK, D5 Pump (for my custom loop) connected to the W_PUMP+ header on the motherboard.

This allows me to monitor the RPM of my pump. However in the BIOS I can't seem to find a way to control the speed.
(I.E. there doesn't appear to be speed control for W_PUMP+).

On my old motherboard, I simply connected it into a normal Fan Header and controlled the speed through the BIOS. (By altering the fan speed).

Is there a way to do this on the APEX while the pump is connected to the W_PUMP+ header?

I *could* just connect the EK D5 pump into a normal fan header (which would then allow me to control the speed). But wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

If I have to connect it to a normal Fan Header to control it's speed -- then why does the W_PUMP+ header even exist??

Also please don't confuse this with the AIO_PUMP header. I don't have an AIO. I have a full custom EK loop.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Nick
10 REPLIES 10

sdmf74
Level 11
I know this is an old thread but I though I would clear something up. The AIO pump header and the Water Pump+ header are combined. Its just like the CPU and CPU OPT headers, the cpu header is the master & the CPU OPT header is the slave. Now the completely retarded part of it is that Asus in their infinite wisdom decided for some reason to make the Water Pump+ header the slave & made the AIO header (which is located by the motherboard IO!) the master even though the the water pump+ header is 3 amps & the AIO header is 1 amp & of course the water pump+ header is far more important, it makes no sense!

The only difference is that the cpu opt header doesnt have any control in the bios or windows OS which makes kind of sense since you might have two identical fans on your cpu cooler. They gave basic control (only in the OS) but not the bios to the water pump+ header but just a slider & a critical temp check box, none of the other options like the rest of the headers have. Thats why you were confused by only having controls for an AIO pump header in the bios. This is one of the things that really bugs me about the ROG 9 series motherboards. I would have happily given up a chasis header or two to get discrete functionality out of the water pump+ header since it makes more sense to use a pwm fan controller hub for multiple fans on radiators anyway (I have 12 fans which only require two chasis headers).

Also there is no way to organize the rpm speeds in AISUIITE III so that you can see if your pump is running, at a glance, its buried & you have to click & scroll to see it.
You can see in the pic how Asus decided to give shared control to the pump headers. What they didnt show is that they made the wrong one the primary header!

Im sure that some of you have upgraded your Asus motherboards to the newer generation ROG 10 or 11 series. Can you please confirm whether or not Asus has made the same mistake on the newer motherboards? Or did they make the water pump+ header the master (primary) header or better yet give discrete functionality and control to the water pump+ header
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA