cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Water cooling???

V4mpir-C4t
Level 7
Hi

i buy a Maximus IX HERO (1151) and Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 S and i dont know where to connect the pump and fans.

I assume that fans go in CPU_FAN and I have the doubt with the pump AIO_PUMP or W_PUMP+???

Thanks for the help.
8 REPLIES 8

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi.
Your W_Pump header has 3A/36W specs,which is too high for your pump and not necessary.Plug in to AIO PUMP and you will be happy.
Your pump has 0.175A in specs,so 1A header will be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chino
Level 15

I bought a corsair h115i and have a maximus X hero.

Wich configuration is the best?

Method A:
1 - Connect the pump to AIO_PUMP header on motherboard
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to the pump
3 - Disable on BIOS the CPU_FAN

Method B:
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers

Method C:
1 - Connect the pump to CPU_FAN header on motherboard
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 (not CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2, only because for better cable management)

alexandre1984 wrote:
I bought a corsair h115i and have a maximus X hero.

Wich configuration is the best?

Method A:
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to the pump
3 - Disable on BIOS the CPU_FAN

Method B:
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers

Method C:
1 - Connect the pump to CPU_FAN header on motherboard
2 - Connect the 2 radiator fans to CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 (not CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2, only because for better cable management)

H115I, have one of these for testing purposes outside of case

Either we have two different configurations or a misunderstanding

Mine has the following connectors
power connection, SATA
speed connection (for speed feedback only, does not control anything
two fan connectors.
USB conneciton

Speed connector should go on CPU, just a feed back, controls nothing. This should never change to any other header for all configurations.
Three builds I have (M8E, M9F, RVIE) disabling the CPU header does nothing, it will error and put you back to BIOS to correct 100% of the time and actually this is how it should be. You need to know and initiate a shut down if your cooling solution poos the bed. SATA power connection is also a constant. So that leaves...

Three ways to set this up, The first is the best way and uses corsair link for pump and fan control

1)Fans connected to pigtails coming off the block/pump
USB connected to USB header
This gives you control of the fans and pump through Corsair Link software.

2)Fans connected to any fan header other than CPU, Leave that one for pump speed feedback
USB cable thrown in the trash
This leaves the pump to run at 100% and fans can be controlled by BIOS or fan expert (im not a fan of the latter, not in the least!!)

3)Fans connected to separate fan controller
USB cable thrown in the trash
This put the pump to 100% and fans controlled though other fan controller.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

And what about the short cable?

Should be connected to AIO_PUMP header or CPU_FAN header?

alexandre1984 wrote:
And what about the short cable?

Should be connected to AIO_PUMP header or CPU_FAN header?

Are you referring to the cable with the single wire?
That is the pump speed feedback, goes to CPU header for speed reporting only, no control involved.
The AIO header is for solutions where speed control is available and a 4 wire PWM or 3 wire DC cable is present. The corsair is not one of them

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, I'm referring to that single cable.

Ok, I'll connect it to CPU_FAN.

I read this:

"after connecting the pump to CPU_FAN header, go into your bios and set the CPU fan profile to Max. The reason why is that you don't want the pump to keep changing speeds up and down and such. They are designed to run at Max consistently. Other wise you can damage the pump and it will be louder when operating probably making grinding noises."

Should I also do this?

JustinThyme
Level 13
The pump wont change speeds due to that connection. It simply reports the speed to the MOBO as CPU fan speed so the system will know your pump is running, like a tachometer only. The speed on corsair AIOs are either 100% if there is no USB connection or if you have the USB connected you can control it with Corsair link software. You need a minimum of 3 leads for speed control with strictly voltage control or 4 leads for PWM which this pump is not. In the grand scheme of things the noise level between 100% and 80% on these pumps is negligible.