cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD during Windows 10 install.

nurzt
Level 7
My Windows 10 build started to BSOD with many errors at the point that i cannot log on windows anymore, so i rebuilt my raid0 setup and tried to install a fresh Windows 10 from usb but i'am getting the same BSOD even before installing.
I dont know what to do anymore, maybe it is raid/sata driver failure or corrupted usb stick? I was getting A0 error without video, but i swapped my SATA cables and it managed to post to bios.

Specs:
i7 7700k
Maximus IX hero
SSD: AMD R3 120gb x2 @RAID0
16gb 3000mhz Vengeance Led
EVGA 1080 ftw2
Corsair 650w full modular gold+
17 REPLIES 17

Menthol
Level 14
nurzt,
I haven't installed raid for several years, I don't have IX Hero but I do have IX Apex, I will attempt to set up a raid and get back with my results

JustinThyme
Level 13
I’m gonna throw this out there*
Did you try a single drive? Just process is elimination first. If that goes without a hitch then you can look at drives and/or raid controller.*
Page in a non pages area is not typically a raid or drive error.

I’ve not seen a CPU cause this....ever. Memory issues, sure. If you can post to bios and even get to any boot environment the CPU is OK 99.99% of the time. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

nurzt wrote:
I did all the steps above, i dont think my problem is raid0 related since the BSOD occurs when i try to load the installer from usb...
I think i will RMA my 7700k since i saw lot of threads like mine about the same problem...

How many memory sticks are you using? Try removing all but one to test. If the result is the same, try disabling some CPU cores. It's also worth trying to install Windows into a single SSD to test whether the SSDs are the culprit.

JustinThyme wrote:
I’m gonna throw this out there*
Did you try a single drive? Just process is elimination first. If that goes without a hitch then you can look at drives and/or raid controller.*
Page in a non pages area is not typically a raid or drive error.

I’ve not seen a CPU cause this....ever. Memory issues, sure. If you can post to bios and even get to any boot environment the CPU is OK 99.99% of the time. *

The chances are slim, but it can happen. There was one case on the forums a long time ago. We eventually narrowed the problem down to a defective core. We found the culprit by disabling the cores one by one until he was able to install Windows.

Chino wrote:
How many memory sticks are you using? Try removing all but one to test. If the result is the same, try disabling some CPU cores. It's also worth trying to install Windows into a single SSD to test whether the SSDs are the culprit.

The chances are slim, but it can happen. There was one case on the forums a long time ago. We eventually narrowed the problem down to a defective core. We found the culprit by disabling the cores one by one until he was able to install Windows.

I've already tried with single memory without any success, i'am gonna try disabling cpu cores and leaving only one ssd connected.

Chino wrote:

That one case was the .01% point.....;):cool:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
That one case was the .01% point.....;):cool:

Enabled only one core and voila, windows installed without BSOD...
So, should i RMA my processor, or i can do something about to fix it ?
Update:
On BIOS "Active Processor Cores" it only shows [1 , 2 ,3 ALL] , if i enable up to 3 my windows works normally, but when i select ALL i got BSOD 😞
Update2:
3 Cores actives, XMP on 4.5ghz 3000mhz memory, OCCT for 1 hour = pass...Lookslike 1 core of my processor is defective 😞

Chino wrote:

Same issue occurred with me a couple days ago, I hibernated My PC (Rampage V Extreme - i7 5960x @4.2 Ghz - Hyperx DDR4 2133 Mhz 32 GB) and went to sleep, It was starting automatically so I powered it off manually from the supply and went to sleep. Next day, I keep getting BSOD with several STOP Codes, Mainly - 0xc000021a and some others like CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED etc. even on Installation media I had created using Windows Media Tool. First, I started with cleaning RAM sticks, then I removed every drive from the board and checked each RAM stick one by one, I had no extra CPU to test so I went ahead and tried flashing BIOS with latest 4101 version and 3902 (3902 doesn't work since it doesn't have the required Ucode fix so Windows gives another BSOD with STOP CODE: Unsupported_Processor). Tried another PSU just to make sure its not Voltage Related, then finally came across Your Post and disabled all cores except one and PC started. It seems Core 03 got damaged or something and due to that I keep getting BSOD at startup. Thanks Chino, for your suggestion.

Now, I only have 7 cores on My CPU, but it works fine.

Chino
Level 15
It would be nice if you can borrow an extra CPU or take your PC down to a PC repair store to validate the result. If neither is possible, then it looks like you'll have to RMA it.