cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arne goes Mainstream

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Every now and then I foolishly accept an invite... from some poor acquaintance... or relative... or other... and am forced to leave my home....

...which, of course, is equipped with a high end desktop!

These forays invariably lead me to some hovel...

and invariably they are equipped with some kind of everyman computing device..."mainstream" they tell me.....
127 REPLIES 127

Nate152 wrote:
Do you think 5.2GHz would do it ?

I didn't read through your whole thread but did you delid your 7700k ?

5.2GHz would definitely do it!

The answer to the second is part of the reason for the change...one of various.

First and foremost is the fact that my old 5960X was a great clocker and I sold it for more than this new one cost me...by the time I FleaBay my mainstream stuff I'll have made a bit of cash...crazy open box deal on brand new 5960X.

Other reasons:

Maximus IX Formula M2 SSD slot suffocated below shielding....after all the M2 heat throttling blurb this is a head scratcher

Lots of little things...like RV10E quality...socket quality...ability to set led colour in BIOS on RV10E...GPU spacing....RAM spacing and airflow...M2 SSD airflow.

Photoshop and lightroom work is much of a muchness on both platforms except for some key things like export RAW to JPEG which runs better on more cores...

I'm also going to start some video work with drone footage soon so finally able to take full advantage of the core count...

I cant be bothered to void warranty and delid my CPU just to get decent temperature and thermal conductivity! I just don't see why I should!

I keep imagining the wasted silicon real estate under the IHS with Intel crappy graphics...prefer to use the silicon I pay for. Why in the world Intel don't sell mainstream chips without integrated GPU is beyond me.

So there you are....mainstream is nice and it's well capable of fulfilling daily needs...just circumstance and a few refinements kept me on the HEDT path.

🙂

Nate152
Thanks Raja I was trying to understand how that's possible, that would make delidding all the more worth while.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Leakage and stuff right....lower temps allow the transistors to keep themselves together at a lower voltage...electrons going where they should...but as always depends on CPU....silicon lottery everywhere...

Menthol
Level 14
Just because you take the hot little number out for a spin doesn't mean you have to wed her, she's still a fun ride

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yup! Good to plug something into a different socket now and then...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yup! Good to plug something into a different socket now and then...

In the end it just comes down to this

With a bit of tweaking I can get the same 4.5GHz as stock 7700K at same volts more or less and same temps...without having to delid anything and on 8 cores not 4 and no wasted space on the silicon keeping me awake at night.

Arne finally gets to sleep good

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Seems like this board is finally going to drop...

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/the-rog-maximus-ix-extreme-motherboard-is-ready-f...

Might have been a different story if this had been around...though I still don't like GPU spacing! Imagine 2 Strix 1080Tis covering the other PCIe lanes....

and this finally arrived from the US of slow postal service...

Might have been different if that had been here too...kind of glad it was kept out of reach...the temptation would have been too strong to void warranty...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im not so sure I would have fallen down that rabbit hole had this been released the same time as the others. At first I wanted it then the more I thought the more it didn't make any sense. One key feature its missing from previous extreme boards is the dual BIOS roms. While the water block looks nice Ive come to find out that as much as I like to tinker full blocks are to much of a PITA to put on and take off. The added fan and pump headers dont do much good for me, particulary the pump headers as even my PWM pumps do not use this style power connection. Standard molex with a single PWM wire on a 4 pin fan connector. Not that i would use is anyhow as Ive found AI suite to be too buggy. Im using an Aquaero that I can control everything from. One other extremely valid point....If you use the pump headers......how do you fill your loop without powering up the MOBO? With the Aquaero I can just unplug the power supplying it and the pumps and put it on my bench PSU and leave the MOBO and everything else plugged in as the PSU wont have power on it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

samual
Level 11
Was going to pick up the maximus ix extreme for my next build but at a 1000 cdn no way. I'll go with the apex instead.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Says it has dual BIOS...They couldn't remove that from a top of the line OC board

2 x 128 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI3.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 3.0, ACPI 5.0, Multi-language BIOS

But yeah...it has competition for OCing now...it's definitely a combo... high end gaming/OCing board