cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Fury X Not Detected with Maximus IX Hero

Default_mp3
Level 7
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hMGhJV

Having some issues with my new ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero. It's not detecting my XFX AMD Fury X in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot; within the BIOS, it does not show anything seen in the slot.

I'm using the newest BIOS for the Maximus, version 0906. The Fury X has the UEFI VBIOS (downloaded from here: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/04/05/radeon-r9-fury-nano-uefi-firmware); it is detectable in the PCIEX8_2, and runs in native x1 mode. I can boot to Windows when the Fury X is in that slot.

The Fury X still works fine in my older computer. I have also swapped out the old HD 6870 onto the Maximus, which is detected, and boots to Windows fine, in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot. The Fury X has been reseated multiple times, as has the connection to the PSU. The CMOS battery has been removed multiple times, too.

Before I updated the BIOS, using the BIOS version that came in the box, the system was able to detect the Fury X, but would suddenly lose detection of the m.2 SSD in the M.2_2(SOCKET3), along with the HDDs in SATA6G_1 through SATA6G_4, when the card is seated, but was able to detect the BD drive in SATA6G_5 with the card seated.

The onboard video works fine.

Any suggestions at this point, other than RMAing the board?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
When your system halts with the Fury X in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot, what QCODE is being displayed on the DEBUG LED? Also look beside the 24 pin power connector and indicate if any of the QLEDs remain lit. 🙂

Chino wrote:
When your system halts with the Fury X in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot, what QCODE is being displayed on the DEBUG LED? Also look beside the 24 pin power connector and indicate if any of the QLEDs remain lit. 🙂
If I have the monitor plugged into the Fury X rather than the integrated GPU, the Q_CODE generally stays at B2 if CSM is enabled. If the monitor is plugged into the integrated GPU, the Q_CODE is 99, and the computer boots to Windows fine. This has been tried with both HDMI and DP inputs on both.

If by QLED you mean the row of LEDs under the Q_CODE output that are labeled CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT, it goes all the way to BOOT, and staying green, for both situations.

FWIW, the Fury X has two separate rails powering it from my PSU. I was able to also try a friend's RX 480 in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot, and it boots fine. Took the motherboard out to check for shorts due to contact with the case, still no joy.

If I force CSM to be auto rather than enabled, the Fury X boots fine into Windows in the PCIEX8_2 slot, while if seated in PCIEX16/X8_1 it sits at Q_CODE B4 for awhile (not 64, it lacks the top horizontal bar on the seven segment display), before going to D6; the VGA Q_LED stays white, while the boot Q_LED goes to green (so both are lit at the same time).

This was run with a single stick of RAM in DIMM_A1.

I think I'm going to go ahead and RMA this for now, hoping to get this puppy up and running before Prey drops next week.

Default.mp3 wrote:
before going to D6; the VGA Q_LED stays white, while the boot Q_LED goes to green (so both are lit at the same time).

The D6 QCODE means that the motherboard couldn't detect a console output device. If the QLED for VGA remains lit, then the motherboard isn't detecting a GPU. Given that you've tested another GPU in the first PCIe slot and works fine, you shouldn't discard your Fury X being defective.

Chino wrote:
The D6 QCODE means that the motherboard couldn't detect a console output device. If the QLED for VGA remains lit, then the motherboard isn't detecting a GPU. Given that you've tested another GPU in the first PCIe slot and works fine, you shouldn't discard your Fury X being defective.
I tried a second board. This one would go to A9 and just hang there; still no screen, no indication of the Fury X receiving any signal, only the green BOOT Q_LED remains lit, still works in x1 in the second PCIE slot.