cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 TPM 2.0 and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

valant
Level 7
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?
34 REPLIES 34

BigJohnny
Level 13
R6EE X299 with TPM 2.0 embedded with 10980XE

Running Win 11 as soon as it hit the Beta Channel. Done to many Alpha versions and reinstalls get old. Its running fine. All drivers are working as they should. Didnt do a clean install, just upgraded so I can roll back at any time I want easily. So far its not given me a reason to. Hardest part is finding things after 10 years of running Win10. Things arent in the same place but you can set it up to have the same navigation of Win 10 but whats the point. A few new features but so far its mostly just a new UI and a different start menu. All apps and games work just fine.

I dont believe M$ is going to dump the TPM or UEFI and M$ account requirements. My take is this is their way of taking the OS back. You wont be able to update the repurposed keys or run it unactivated. Cant say I blame them. They do have to make a profit and with their current market being all OEMs its just not cutting it. If I were running the show I wouldn't be allowing people to use keys that have been recovered from decommissioned machines or run it unactivated either. Business is business. Of course everyone is cussing them but this is the way it once was with XP. They blacklisted leaked out enterprise keys and no activation you had 30 days. The requirements are more about taking back whats theirs. A lot of people complaining yet no one stepping up to the plate and coding a new OS. You have windows and Linux. I have 6 machines in my house all running retail Win10 pro with a M$ account. I find it silly to spend thousands on a build then complein about $100 license for home or $200 for pro. Most users who dont use encryption or dont need the other advanced features of pro home works just fine.

BJBBJB
Level 7
I have the Maximus VIII Hero and a Skylake i7-6700K CPU. My initial take after all of the above is my rig will not support Windows 11 UNLESS I go the unsupported route.
I prefer not to do that....just checking if based on the above and CPU/hardware/Software TPM it is possible.

I have lost track of what has occurred in this area since last summer when all this started.

Thanks so much,
BJBBJB

BJBBJB wrote:
I have the Maximus VIII Hero and a Skylake i7-6700K CPU. My initial take after all of the above is my rig will not support Windows 11 UNLESS I go the unsupported route.
I prefer not to do that....just checking if based on the above and CPU/hardware/Software TPM it is possible.

I have lost track of what has occurred in this area since last summer when all this started.

Thanks so much,
BJBBJB

Just remember Windows 10 is still supported until October 14, 2025 (at least). So there is no rush. By then you might be ready to build an entirely new system. So if you like Win 10 you have over 3 years to keep using it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Just remember Windows 10 is still supported until October 14, 2025 (at least). So there is no rush. By then you might be ready to build an entirely new system. So if you like Win 10 you have over 3 years to keep using it.

That is my fallback position. But based on your reply and my original question, guess windows 11 is not an option.

I thought I had read Skylake CPUs were eventually added to the approved upgrade list, but guess motherboard still a no go...

BJBBJB

Jimmy_Fallin
Level 7
valant wrote:
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?

Not I recommend doing this as Windows will probably relax most if not all of the restrictions on installing Windows 11 before 2025 here's a method that will get your install done less any missing TPM support and or on any older processor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7oRJwTzOn8&t=468