cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 TPM 2.0 and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

valant
Level 7
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?
34 REPLIES 34

jlmcr87 wrote:
You don´t need to connect or plug and external TPM, what I say is that it´s integrated into the chipset, and you can enable it just following that post instructions with a command line.
Asus should release a bios update for older motherboards to un-hide or enable the TPM by default.

It seems jlmcr87 we are not understanding each other
As previously stated I did step 1 and I activated TPM 2 for my Motherboard ( with bios 3805) = ok
As there is nothing plugged into the TPM connector that means I will not be able to secure anything into the TPM device (which is probably a secured local memory) . I invite you to check your TPM connector and if empty try to find how to buy one...

Andre_T wrote:

It seems jlmcr87 we are not understanding each other
As previously stated I did step 1 and I activated TPM 2 for my Motherboard ( with bios 3805) = ok
As there is nothing plugged into the TPM connector that means I will not be able to secure anything into the TPM device (which is probably a secured local memory) . I invite you to check your TPM connector and if empty try to find how to buy one...

Sorry but I don´t understand what do you mean with "that means I will not be able to secure anything into the TPM device"

Of course, I don´t have anything connected to my TPM connector, but it is not necesary, because we have intel PPT:

"Computers with Intel PTT dont require a dedicated processor or memory. Instead they rely on secure access to the systems host processor and memory to perform low-level system authentication and verification."

Do you mean it´s not a hardware TPM?

jlmcr87 wrote:
Sorry but I don´t understand what do you mean with "that means I will not be able to secure anything into the TPM device"
Of course, I don´t have anything connected to my TPM connector, but it is not necesary, because we have intel PTT:
"Computers with Intel PTT dont require a dedicated processor or memory. Instead they rely on secure access to the systems host processor and memory to perform low-level system authentication and verification."
Do you mean it´s not a hardware TPM?

Up-to-now it is not clear if each of us will need to buy the module which seems to be "TPM-M R2.0 (14-1 pin)" or is-it sufficiant, to face the future Windows 11,to activate it in the UEFI . By the way I went a bit further and tried to find where to buy such a module . The prices are fluctuating from 9 $ to 100 $ each...

Andre_T wrote:

Up-to-now it is not clear if each of us will need to buy the module which seems to be "TPM-M R2.0 (14-1 pin)" or is-it sufficiant, to face the future Windows 11,to activate it in the UEFI . By the way I went a bit further and tried to find where to buy such a module . The prices are fluctuating from 9 $ to 100 $ each...

As far as I'm aware, nobody needs to buy a TPM module.

Either the CPU is new enough that it has firmware TPM which can be enabled, or it doesn't and it's not on the compatibility list for Windows 11.

Z170 CPUs (Skylake) do have TPM, but Z170 and those CPUs are not on the list.

This is the first true statement I read so far about Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirement.

It is not as simple as buying a TPM 2.0 add-on module and plugging it into the header. Microsoft VP of Product Management Steve Dispense suggests that it may be necessary to enable a setting like Platform Trust Technology (PTT) in the BIOS of Intel-based computers, or fTPM for AMD-based ones. Quote from: https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-a-tpm-and-why-do-i-need-one-for-windows-11

I hope that Windows 11 will work with my ASUS Crossblade Ranger, VIII Formula, VIII Extreme Assembly, and VIII Gene. If not who shall, I blame.

Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 PC Health Check is unreliable - iGuRu
https://en.iguru.gr/microsoft-epivevaionei-oti-health-check-ton-windows-11-einai-anaksiopisto/

Just in case link is deleted (You know how Corporations work. If not, oh well!):

Microsoft confirmed with tweet of Steve Dispense that PC Health tool Check that lets you know if your computer is compatible with Windows 11, is unreliable and needs more work.

Immediately after the announcement of the new Windows 11, Microsoft introduced a control tool, PC Health Check, which supposedly checked your computer and let you know if it complies with the requirements of the new Windows 11 or not.

But many users were confused because its tool did not detect the exact problem when the result was negative. This brought resentment, sloppiness to the company and created a bad atmosphere with the good morning of Windows 11.

In fact, a third-party developer has already released a similar program that checks and informs you exactly what the problem is and why Windows 11 can not be installed on your computer. You can see more about this program here.

So in one tweet by Steve Dispensa, (VP of Product, Enterprise Mobility + Security @Microsoft | Endpoint Manager, Intune, Configuration Manager, Commercial Windows) apologized and acknowledged that more needs to be done to make PC Health Check more informative.

BJBBJB
Level 7
I am trying to figure this out. I've got the regular Maximus Hero VIII with a Skylake i7. From what I read Skylake does not have the full TPM 2.0 implementation.
However does the Maximus VIII either have TPM or can you add? And also, does it support a CPU that does have full TPM 2.0?
Thanks,
BJB

BJBBJB wrote:
I am trying to figure this out. I've got the regular Maximus Hero VIII with a Skylake i7. From what I read Skylake does not have the full TPM 2.0 implementation.
However does the Maximus VIII either have TPM or can you add? And also, does it support a CPU that does have full TPM 2.0?
Thanks,
BJB

Yes you can enable TPM 2.0 with just a command line. You don´t need to buy anything. Just follow this thread:

Posts #12, #32 and #102 if you have any doubt:

https://www.win-raid.com/t9091f2705-Cannot-enable-Intel-PTT-TPM-at-ASUS-motherboard-6.html

ondersma80
Level 7
Perhaps ASUS will revise their list and update in the coming months. I doubt it. As a consumer, you have to look closely at these things as the post purchase support is directly related to the quality of the product. MSI and ASRock made this transition seamless for their Z170 owners. ASUS came out immediately and said they won't support Z170 products.

xeromist
FWIW, Linus Tech Tips recently did a video where they installed Win11 all the way back to a core2duo so if you are determined it should be possible to get it running on most systems. If you are interested in keeping track of official support, here is the ASUS post with the list:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1046215
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

sunny474
Level 7
Update: I tried the "firmware TPM" setting on my z170 pro gaming mobo and it works. You don't need an external module. If Microsoft decides to put 6th gen CPU-s aswell on the list we are good to go i guess. I couldn't change the language in the app so sorry for that.