cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 TPM 2.0 and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

valant
Level 7
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?
34 REPLIES 34

etacarinae
Level 9
I have a Maximus VIII Extreme and Intel PTT is enabled in the BIOS but it is not actually exposed as a menu item while in the BIOS. Either Microsoft is going to have to reverse this or ASUS is going to have to update a whole lot of BIOS for hundreds of mobos.

Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

etacarinae wrote:
I have a Maximus VIII Extreme and Intel PTT is enabled in the BIOS but it is not actually exposed as a menu item while in the BIOS. Either Microsoft is going to have to reverse this or ASUS is going to have to update a whole lot of BIOS for hundreds of mobos.

Microsoft has a list of support CPU's that regardless of the Windows 11 TPM issue/nonissue is going to be the limiting factor and it makes no sense. For examply Ryzen gen 1 not supported, yet gen2 is just + version of gen 1 and is supported... go figure. Anyway it appears like maybe a soft floor and will install regardless.

Silvered87
Level 7
Z170 Pro Gaming / Aura have firmware TPM 2.0. You only need to switch to it in UEFI. I just done it.

sunny474
Level 7
valant wrote:
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?

I have a z170 pro gaming mobo aswell with bios 3805 along with an i7 6700k. Go into the bios-> advanced mode-> advanced tab-> PCH-FW configuration. You can either select discrete TPM ( which is no TPM) or Firmware TPM (which is TPM 2.0 as far as i can tell). I highly suggest tho to not change it to firmware TPM until its really necessary since this feature does something with encryptions like bitlocker etc.

sunny474 wrote:
I have a z170 pro gaming mobo aswell with bios 3805 along with an i7 6700k. Go into the bios-> advanced mode-> advanced tab-> PCH-FW configuration. You can either select discrete TPM ( which is no TPM) or Firmware TPM (which is TPM 2.0 as far as i can tell). I highly suggest tho to not change it to firmware TPM until its really necessary since this feature does something with encryptions like bitlocker etc.

Thank you! I have exactly the same motherboard and CPU, and that did the trick.

sunny474 wrote:

Hey, I have the same MB (Z170 PRO GAMING) and same CPU (i7-6700K) and same bios version (3805) but I have no option "PCH-FW Configuration"

here is screenshot from BIOS screen advanced mode-> advanced tab

There is "PCH Configuration" and "PCH Storage Configuration" but there is no such option into these menus.

etacarinae
Level 9
Hilarious that the more expensive ROG boards miss out lol.
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

jlmcr87
Level 9
For those with asus z170 boards, you don´t have to buy an external TPM module. Asus is lying. The option is disabled and hide by Asus, but you can enable it, see this post, coment #12 and #32:

https://www.win-raid.com/t9091f2705-Cannot-enable-Intel-PTT-TPM-at-ASUS-motherboard.html

Works perfectly on my Asus Maximus VIII Hero. Now I have intel PPT enabled with TPM 2.0 with just a command.

PD: Asus, very bad done.

jlmcr87 wrote:
For those with asus z170 boards, you don´t have to buy an external TPM module. Asus is lying. The option is disabled and hide by Asus, but you can enable it, see this post, coment #12 and #32:
https://www.win-raid.com/t9091f2705-Cannot-enable-Intel-PTT-TPM-at-ASUS-motherboard.html
Works perfectly on my Asus Maximus VIII Hero. Now I have intel PPT enabled with TPM 2.0 with just a command.
PD: Asus, very bad done.

I am new here and very interested by the topic. In my opinion "jlmcr87" your affirmation is not quite right.
Step 1) When activating TPM in your UEFI means your Computer is ready to face the new Windows 11...
Step 2) And here we have to check in the motherbord if there is something plugged or not into the TPM connector.
After checking that point I confirm there is nothing plugged in my TPM connector (14-1 pin)...
Sincerely // Andre_T

Andre_T wrote:
I am new here and very interested by the topic. In my opinion "jlmcr87" your affirmation is not quite right.
Step 1) When activating TPM in your UEFI means your Computer is ready to face the new Windows 11...
Step 2) And here we have to check in the motherbord if there is something plugged or not into the TPM connector.
After checking that point I confirm there is nothing plugged in my TPM connector (14-1 pin)...
Sincerely // Andre_T

You don´t need to connect or plug and external TPM, what I say is that it´s integrated into the chipset, and you can enable it just following that post instructions with a command line.

Asus should release a bios update for older motherboards to un-hide or enable the TPM by default.