Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the BIOS for Maximus VIII boards [Z170 WIN 11]

jlmcr87
Level 9
Why i cant see any Maximus model in this list for z170:

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/

Even cheapest H110 have a new BIOS compatible with Windows 11...
16 REPLIES 16

claudej
Level 7
Either because Asus doesn't care, because they can't or because it's no use.
Those H110 boards probably had hardware TPM support all along

See that TPM header ? I don't have one, you probably neither

claudej wrote:
Either because Asus doesn't care, because they can't or because it's no use.
Those H110 boards probably had hardware TPM support all along

See that TPM header ? I don't have one, you probably neither

I have the asus maximus VIII hero Z170, not a cheap board, and I had to do a trick to unhide intel PPT (hardware TPM 2.0 integrated into Intel ME) option. So i don´t need to buy an external TPM (yes my board has the TPM header, but unnecesary as you can see). The problem here is that this trick is not a valid solution for a lot of people and it´s not official.

So if Asus don´t want to release a new bios for this boards it is totally unjustified, they are playing dirty.

jlmcr87 wrote:
I have the asus maximus VIII hero Z170, not a cheap board, and I had to do a trick to unhide intel PPT (hardware TPM 2.0 integrated into Intel ME) option. So i don´t need to buy an external TPM (yes my board has the TPM header, but unnecesary as you can see). The problem here is that this trick is not a valid solution for a lot of people and it´s not official.

So if Asus don´t want to release a new bios for this boards it is totally unjustified, they are playing dirty.

Not really dirty. The boards passed EOL so they simply dont update anything on the support page any longer. Once a new chipset comes out the older ones get bumped off. Pretty much standard practice. They dont even have updated drivers for onboard devices, you have to go looking for them on the manufacturer websites. I have an M8E that my wife uses with a 6700K and it hasn't had any updates to the support pages for several years now. Last BIOS update was 2018 and I dont expect to see any for that either. For now there are work arounds but thats expected to be disabled when the RTC becomes available. You get to 2025 with Win 10. By then the MVIII series will be 10 years old which is past prehistoric in the realm of PCs and it will be time to build a new rig. Same happened with Win7 except it was backwards. People wanted to continue using Win 7 on newer hardware but the new hardware doesn't have win 7 drivers.

BigJohnny wrote:
Not really dirty. The boards passed EOL so they simply dont update anything on the support page any longer. Once a new chipset comes out the older ones get bumped off. Pretty much standard practice. They dont even have updated drivers for onboard devices, you have to go looking for them on the manufacturer websites. I have an M8E that my wife uses with a 6700K and it hasn't had any updates to the support pages for several years now. Last BIOS update was 2018 and I dont expect to see any for that either. For now there are work arounds but thats expected to be disabled when the RTC becomes available. You get to 2025 with Win 10. By then the MVIII series will be 10 years old which is past prehistoric in the realm of PCs and it will be time to build a new rig. Same happened with Win7 except it was backwards. People wanted to continue using Win 7 on newer hardware but the new hardware doesn't have win 7 drivers.

This IS not about end of Life. Its about Asus hiding Intel PTT in the BIOS, forcing you to buy an external TPM module when its not necessary, and a lot of years without being able to use this security function on an expensive Maximus board.
They are smart.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but its EOL. Time to look to doing a new build before 2025. I Have an R6EE and TPM is embedded< just had to enable it. Then again its a much newer premium board. Ill try it on my wifes rig that has a M8E premium Z170 and an M9F I have thats a Z270 and see what I get when its RTC. For now it runs on my R6EE just fine.

etacarinae
Level 9
So, BigJohnny is keen on labelling our boards EOL, yet ASUS is actively testing Z270, Z170 boards per: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready

the following motherboards are compatible with Windows 11 under current testing.

So all the other Z170 boards, including the Z170 PRO GAMING & Z170I PRO GAMING are fine but the high-end boards like my Maximus VIII Extreme is neglected? All the Z170 are EOL but supported under their current testing, while those of us who forked out 1K for a motherboard are ignored? Nice. EOL seems to be a flexible concept according to that page. Reminder that PTT is simply hidden in the BIOS for these boards.
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

etacarinae wrote:
So, BigJohnny is keen on labelling our boards EOL, yet ASUS is actively testing Z270, Z170 boards per: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready

So all the other Z170 boards, including the Z170 PRO GAMING & Z170I PRO GAMING are fine but the high-end boards like my Maximus VIII Extreme is neglected? All the Z170 are EOL but supported under their current testing, while those of us who forked out 1K for a motherboard are ignored? Nice. EOL seems to be a flexible concept according to that page. Reminder that PTT is simply hidden in the BIOS for these boards.

And as I said, curious that a cheap H110 board is not EOL.

etacarinae wrote:

johnny is one of those "signed up in 2019" kids that just posts in various threads to troll. After a few members posted sincere questions he went on to post a picture of Windows 11 installed with a kiddy "works great here" that is not helpful at all.

No one is arguing about EOL status of the board, EOL is a discretionary designation by the manufacturer and doesn't mean anything about a legal limitation on support. MSI and Gigabyte enabled all of their Z170 boards for Windows 11 since they have the required features and their boards were EOL too. I used to upgrade my system every couple years and this normally wouldn't be an issue - however, with the lack of progress at Intel and in market advancements in general I've left it in place. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask if ASUS plans on patching the UEFI to enable a setting when their own site lists Z170 boards as compatible. They've got one site saying all Z170 are compatible, another listing 9 specific boards.

DamianStr
Level 8
I do have Maximus VIII Extreme and I use I9 9900k on it with modded bios.

and I installed Windows 11, I did change a file in the setup so it skip TPM check.

I did try to look in bios with AMIBCP and I can see the TMP to enable to PTT but the (Trusted Platform Module) firmware is not on Bios Iam still looking forward to add the Firmware for it.

but for me its not easy aim not a programmer. I need someone who can do that. Iam even want to pay for it.

And I think Asus must do for every motherboard from Z170/Z270 and Bios update for TPM Actived.

Then Asus also show Hes self to be a good Brand with Support.