cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Hero - Glitchy BIOS Screen: jerky mouse, lost cursor or painting screen?

Cody_Bishko
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have a new Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7 6700k, 32GB Corsair 2666 DDR4 and a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB which I'm bench testing pre-build and I'm running into some serious BIOS glitches.

It seems at least so far, that the machine runs "stable" going through the Windows installs. The bios however, is anything but. Sometimes, it seems to load the BIOS just fine, everything is quick and responsive. Other times, the mouse is jerky. Or the cursor won't appear... or the whole screen is black and gets painted by the cursor.... or I've even seen red specks on the screen! The system also won't load off the XMP profile, but that's hopefully another story.

When I set it up the first thing I did was successfully flash it to 1402, so I don't know if these issues are post-flash. I don't have the GPU installed yet, I'm just running off the onboard video so far.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?
8 REPLIES 8

ondersma80
Level 7
The problem here could be many things. Inability to boot using the XMP profile of that modest OC memory could be an issue. It also might just be incompatibility with a peripheral since the issue is UEFI only. If you disconnect your mouse can you navigate the UEFI without issue?

Chino
Level 15
List your complete system specifications including keyboard and mouse model.

Which method did you use to flash the BIOS?

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm using a Corsair K70 keyboard and an M65 RGB FPS mouse. The memory kit I'm using is CMK32GX4M4A2666C15, which I bought specifically because it's listed on the board's QVL. Either way, I was testing with XMP disabled - are you suggesting the RAM could be an issue, or that it is due to overclocking?

Chino wrote:
List your complete system specifications including keyboard and mouse model.

Which method did you use to flash the BIOS?

@Chino sorry- I flashed it using the tool inside the BIOS from a USB drive.

Cody_Bishko
Level 7
I just ran a Memtest86 with all 32GB RAM and it crashed about 30 minutes in - no errors were reported though.

I noticed in the BIOS that PCH Temperature was around 55* C and VRM temp was around 45*C - are these normal? There's no active cooling on the board yet - CPU is being cooled by an H110i GTX - although it's reporting a bit on the high side at 37*C in the bios. Ambient temp is probably around 28*C (ish).

Chino
Level 15
For DDR4 testing, I trust HCI Memtest or the Google Stress App in Linux over Memtest86+ any day. 🙂 As for the temperatures, they look normal to me.

What's weird is after installing HWMonitor, I see my temps are a good 5 - 15*C lower than they are reported in the BIOS...?

Chino
Level 15
It depends on which temperature you're looking at. For example, HWMonitor measures CPU temperature differently than AI Suite/OC Panel/etc...