cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII HERO - Can't launch setup from MB Support DVD

Zforgetaboutit
Level 9
A few months ago I re-installed Windows 10. At that time I could run setup from the ASUS MB Setup DVD and installed a few things from it.

The A-V app I'm using is an up-to-date Windows Defender. My Win10 PRO is 10.0.15063 .

Today, when I loaded the DVD and clicked setup the UAC prompted me and as usual I clicked OK. The UAC dialog closed and nothing else happened.

I ran all these OK
C:\>sfc scannow

C:\>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

C:\>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Other apps seem to be OK.

BIOS 1701. I'm running stock CPU speed. Ram uses XMP 2.0 .

Other odd things I've seen in the last few days are

• After a boot the CPU soon chronically becomes 12-15% busy.
  • Can't seem to install Radeon GPU software - an install begings but later seems to hang.
  • There's been some apparent hangs during reboots

Any ideas, please, as to what might be going on with my attempts to run the ASUS MB setup app?
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello Zforgetaboutit

With XMP enabled I might suspect instability with your ram, go in the bios and reset to defaults (F5 key) and see how it goes.

Windows 10 will install all necessary drivers, all you should need to do is update the AMD graphics driver.

Try updating the AMD graphics driver with default settings.

Zforgetaboutit
Level 9
Thanks for the suggestion.

Before reading your post Just now I realized AMD has a software uninstaller. I ran it, rebooted (no hang), and ran the ASUS setup app with no problems. Then I tried to install the AMD GPU driver I've been using for the last few months. That install has spent 5+ minutes on "please wait while detecting hardware" while using 4% CPU.

I'll leave the install running overnight and will consider/try the F5 BIOS strategy tomorrow.

Cont'd... As soon as I woke up today, I had the idea of performing some due diligence by trying a custom install of Radeon software without changing BIOS settings. I chose all sub-components and it installed quickly. Its need for a reboot went smoothly.

After 7 hours of running idle the CPU is at 0-1%. After a further 30 minutes of activity, CPU is still at 0-1% usage. This includes 20 minutes of running a Windows VM.

I think there's circumstantial evidence that an inability (who knows why) to complete an express setup was causing trouble on multiple fronts, either as a domino effect or more directly. I hope I learned something for my hours of agony. For now it's all good again.

Zforgetaboutit
Level 9
Without yet going as far as Nate152's helpful suggestion I got past the driver install and manual reboot hang. More details later today.

Nate152