Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-NAND SSD SM950 PRO on Maximus VIII HERO

ikaros007
Level 7
Greetings,my first post 🙂

i recently make a new z-170 Pc with intel i7 6700k processor
and i thinking about to buy the V-NAND SSD SM950 PRO but im not sure if i can run with PCIE_X16/X8_1 & PCIE_X8_2 on ,
because i run Crossfirex (2xR9 290) and i need both PCIE slots full operational (x8 x8)

My second question is..

Can i run via M.2 (NVMe?) To take all the advantages of SM950 PRO

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

why not use the m2 slot? that's what I do

MRBULL wrote:
why not use the m2 slot? that's what I do

yes that's im going to do, but i read somewhere that maybe if M2 slot used, some PciE slots gonna disable
and i don't want PCIE_X16/X8_1 & PCIE_X8_2 disabled because i use them for crossfirex

Skunk
Level 8
Nope, the x16 and x8 slots go directly to the processor. The M.2 slot is tied into the chipset and has a completely separate data path. The M.2 slot, when using a SATA drive will disable a SATA port, but you aren't so you won't have those worries.

LoneWolf121188
Level 7
I'm using the 950 Pro in the M.2 slot (NVMe) on my Maximus VIII Gene and it's working great! Only 1 GPU though, so I can't help with any PCIe lane questions.
Core i7 6700K @ 47x100, Maximus VIII Gene, 16GB DDR4-2800 Ripjaw, EVGA GTX980, Samsung 950, Intel 520, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.

LoneWolf121188 wrote:
I'm using the 950 Pro in the M.2 slot (NVMe) on my Maximus VIII Gene and it's working great! Only 1 GPU though, so I can't help with any PCIe lane questions.

u see any difference in performance ? comparing to a simple SSD(sata) , i just wondering..

Nate152
As Skunk says it shouldn't affect your gpu configuration as the M.2 slot is tied with the chipset.

The 950 pro is the fastest ssd at the moment and it will shatter a regular ssd's speed.

Sandbagger
Level 7
The intel 750 may have something to say about that. I had the 750 and sold it for the 950 only because the warranty life on the 750 is ridiculously low at 112 TB over 5 years. One issue with the samsung is it's 4k read speed is quoted at 300k iops but in benching no one is getting that yet. I'm around 200k. Hoping a driver or firmware update will fix the issue.

Nate152
Sorry Sandbagger I stand corrected, I should have said "fastest M.2 pcie ssd".

Hmmm you shouldn't have to wait on a driver or firmware to get the advertised speed, but as long as they are aware of it, I imagine you'll get one soon. 🙂