cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated - PCIE_X16/X8_1 and M.2

Thaonnor
Level 7
So I've updated the thread to more accurately describe what is going on.

Maximus VIII Hero
Intel Core i5-6600K
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (only thing remaining from old build)
Radeon R9 380
16GB DDR4 RAM
Corsair RM750 Modular Power Supply

So what appears to be occurring is that when I plug my new Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 into the M.2 slot, the thing refuses to POST. Prior to this, I had the Radeon R9 380 in the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot. However, once that was removed, it suddenly is starting up. So there seems to be some conflict between the two that I've been unable to determine. The manual does not state anything about the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot being disabled when M.2 is being used but that appears to be the case unless there is a BIOS setting I've missed.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Remove the M.2 SSD so that your system can boot up normally. Enter the BIOS and see if you're running the latest BIOS please. If not, download the latest revision on a USB pendrive and update it through the EZ Flash Utility.

BIOS version currently states "0214 x64"

Looking at the website, it appears the latest file is 1202 and I do see version 1001 provided improved compatibility with Samsung M.2 SSDs.

HOWEVER, I'm an extreme noob when it comes to the BIOS - ask me to put something together and I'll do it, ask me to change anything about the BIOS and I'm lost. I'm sure I can figure out how to EZ Flash update it, however I want to be sure - is this a relatively safe process? I've read several threads in my searching for an answer to this problem where people have bricked their MB. Is USB Flash drive going to be the safest method of updating? Also, do you recommend updating to the latest BIOS, or only up as far as I believe will solve the issue? (1001).

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately updating the BIOS isn't a foolproof process. But here are some basic recommendations.

1. Try to use USB pendrives in small capacities.
2. Try to avoid USB pendrives that contain hidden partitions.
3. Format the USB pendrive to FAT32.
4. Make sure the only file on the USB pendrive is the BIOS file.
5. Update the BIOS through the EZ Flash Utility which can be found in the BIOS.

A short description of the process.
Your system will start to update within the BIOS. When it reaches 100%, your system will restart on its own. Then you normally see a black screen with a message in white stating that iROG is updating. Once that finishes, your system will restart again and you're done. It is of utter importance that you DO NOT INTERRUPT the update process whatsoever.

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately updating the BIOS isn't a foolproof process. But here are some basic recommendations.

1. Try to use USB pendrives in small capacities.
2. Try to avoid USB pendrives that contain hidden partitions.
3. Format the USB pendrive to FAT32.
4. Make sure the only file on the USB pendrive is the BIOS file.
5. Update the BIOS through the EZ Flash Utility which can be found in the BIOS.

A short description of the process.
Your system will start to update within the BIOS. When it reaches 100%, your system will restart on its own. Then you normally see a black screen with a message in white stating that iROG is updating. Once that finishes, your system will restart again and you're done. It is of utter importance that you DO NOT INTERRUPT the update process whatsoever.

Well I think I messed it up. Edited to be more specific:

I followed your instructions, cleared off a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Downloaded 1202 off of the ASUS website and ensured just the cap file was on the USB, no other files.

1. Plugged in USB
2. Started & went into BIOS
3. Selected EZ Flash 3, selected file
4. Began process, it went through the entire process
5. Received pop up advising the process had completed and it would now reset
6. It completely shut down and then restarted
7. Only the fans started, 00 Q code

So - at this point, do I turn it off, remove the USB and attempt to start it again? I have had it do this before with a USB plugged in at start up (where it just goes straight to 00). Or would that be considered "interrupting" the process? Just not sure if the process that I'm not to interrupt is the original processing prior to the reset or the entire process. It has been running like this at 00 for about 5-10 minutes with no signal to the monitor, so I'm relatively certain it is not still in the process of updating.

Don't ask me how, but the BIOS has completed its update and is now on 1202. Attempted to install SSD and ran into the same issue. PC starts, power cuts, tries to start again, then just the CPU fan starts and goes to 00 Q Code. So I think we've successfully ruled out BIOS version.

Just out of curiosity, I went ahead and removed the graphics card. The graphics card was previously in what is labeled as PCIE_X16/X8_1. When this was removed, after 2 attempts, it did finally POST.

So the question has become, can I really not use the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot while using the M.2 SSD? Or is there an option in the BIOS that could be changed so these two could run together? The way my case is laid out, it is going to be extremely inconvenient/near impossible to move the graphics card over to the PCIE_X8_2 slot which would also place it right on top of the M.2 SSD

Thaonnor wrote:
Don't ask me how, but the BIOS has completed its update and is now on 1202. Attempted to install SSD and ran into the same issue. PC starts, power cuts, tries to start again, then just the CPU fan starts and goes to 00 Q Code. So I think we've successfully ruled out BIOS version.

Just out of curiosity, I went ahead and removed the graphics card. The graphics card was previously in what is labeled as PCIE_X16/X8_1. When this was removed, after 2 attempts, it did finally POST.

So the question has become, can I really not use the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot while using the M.2 SSD? Or is there an option in the BIOS that could be changed so these two could run together? The way my case is laid out, it is going to be extremely inconvenient/near impossible to move the graphics card over to the PCIE_X8_2 slot which would also place it right on top of the M.2 SSD

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU THANK YOU. others experiencing the same exact issues I had when I was running the board. From the original post - the same stuff happened to me. Q Code 00 after the M.2 SSD, yet it works fully functional on another Z170 board. Raja AND Asus support chose to ignore my issues. Clearly it is known the board has many defects, and Asus will lie and say otherwise.

The system should be functional to at least what it has on it, unless something is actually faulty. Stock settings should be functional, unless it's a faulty board. I went through af ew of the Asus Z170 boards, all filled with issues.

Each have audio issues with Realtek drivers SPECIFICALLY (Windows audio drivers work 100% great), but specifically realtek drivers create an audio pop whenever an audio channel opens. I think ti has to do with power management, and this NEEDS to be addressed. I saw many others saying it had these issues on previous ROG boards. Why doesn't Asus just fix this? I know it's a process, but after this long? Come on now.

I'm currently staying away from Asus. Never had an issues with my previous Asus boards, but these current ones are unacceptable.

*BUYER BEWARE*
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Thaonnor wrote:

The Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 is a SATA based SSD so it shouldn't affect any of the PCIe slots as far as I know. Can you list the exact model of your SSD?

Vinny1001 wrote:
THANK YOU.

THANK YOU THANK YOU. others experiencing the same exact issues I had when I was running the board. From the original post - the same stuff happened to me. Q Code 00 after the M.2 SSD, yet it works fully functional on another Z170 board. Raja AND Asus support chose to ignore my issues. Clearly it is known the board has many defects, and Asus will lie and say otherwise.

The system should be functional to at least what it has on it, unless something is actually faulty. Stock settings should be functional, unless it's a faulty board. I went through af ew of the Asus Z170 boards, all filled with issues.

Each have audio issues with Realtek drivers SPECIFICALLY (Windows audio drivers work 100% great), but specifically realtek drivers create an audio pop whenever an audio channel opens. I think ti has to do with power management, and this NEEDS to be addressed. I saw many others saying it had these issues on previous ROG boards. Why doesn't Asus just fix this? I know it's a process, but after this long? Come on now.

I'm currently staying away from Asus. Never had an issues with my previous Asus boards, but these current ones are unacceptable.

*BUYER BEWARE*

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember you mentioned that you were using a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW). Correct? Something tells me that there is a problem with the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 line on the motherboards.

Guys. Give me a few days time and I'll see what I can do. 🙂

Chino wrote:
The Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 is a SATA based SSD so it shouldn't affect any of the PCIe slots as far as I know. Can you list the exact model of your SSD?

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember you mentioned that you were using a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW). Correct? Something tells me that there is a problem with the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 line on the motherboards.

Guys. Give me a few days time and I'll see what I can do. 🙂

Yes, thank you for remembering!

But, Chino, please don't be as ignorant as almost every Asus representative I have spoken to. Please re-read my post about the M.2 SSD 850. I mentioned that the one I have works - "fully functional on another Z170 board"

That, meaning, I'm literally using the same exact M.2 SSD on another brand board (z170) and it works without a single issue. It works as it should. The Asus VIII Hero gave issues as what is described in this topic and in many reviews online.

Hope that information is more clear. The Asus board has been the only board to give me issues, and I went through three. The Gene and two of the Hero's. My components work fully functional on other branded Z170 boards, but these boards lack the performance and fan headers I am looking for.

I'm really hoping to stick with Asus, that's why I'm hitting on this hard. Also, Realtek drivers on all Z170 boards have given me audio pops when an audio channel opens, like it doesnt have enough power for the first split second. Idle probably lowers the power needed. I noticed when OCing, this puts the computer in a state without power management, thus having no audio issues. I want power management and I am running all at stock with audio issues ONLY through realtek drivers. Windows audio drivers work without a single hiccup, so it can't be my hardware.

Any ideas? If needed I can make a new thread, but seeing the lies and ignorance of some people on here, I'm afraid to even considering posting a thread.

This board is so effed, Asus needs to admit to it and fix it. We as consumers love Asus products, so please Asus just take responsibility and fix things up, we will still love you. If you're ignorant on it, then it will hurt you when issues are obviously there.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.