cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI beep vanished after BIOS update.

Koodu
Level 7
***Important Update***
I've been making research on the matter itself and I have stumbled upon an important detail I had overlooked for a long time. (Check below)

The problem is that normally right after powering up, during the splash screen I'd hear the very same beep like on this video:

As for how it vanished, it was through a BIOS update. Initially I had checked the BIOS update through AiSuite 3 and for some reason v3101 was downloaded. Notice that once upgrading it from stock version to 3101 the beep was still present. It vanished after updating it to the version 3703. To verify whether if I had the latest version I checked product page and found out that 3703 is latest and performed a second BIOS update. While it took me a while to realize, I noticed that my computer no longer beeps after powering up. And tried to troubleshoot the issue ever since. Sadly no avail so far.

Important things to consider about the issue:
- There is no additional PC speaker attached to the motherboard. I'm pretty sure this beep was coming from the motherboard itself.
- There were no hardware changes before and after the BIOS update.
- I did not interfere or made any changes with the inner components of the case before and after the update.
- The computer actually works just fine.
- I have specifically checked the BIOS for anything about beep. There are no such settings.
- I tried to downgrade the BIOS all the way to version 3101, but no avail.

TL;DR of the issue: POST beep has vanished after updating my BIOS to 3703 from 3101 Beta. Neither updating to version 3801 nor BIOS Flashback did not fix this problem either.

***Post Edit Notes***
Unfortunately there hasn't been any change after updating to v3801. It appears to be I had overlooked QCodes from the beginning, I apologize for the mistake. I've managed to record all of the codes I had seen and checked them from both manual's explanation plus AMIBIOS8™ Check Point and Beep Code List Version 2.0 – June 10, 2008 PDF File. And I have encountered some QCode values mentioned below. I'll be writing the ones that had no explanation on both sources or logged as errors/problems.

0D, 0F, 7F, 20, 28, 22, 25, 21, 55, 50, 24, 79, 99

From what I see some of these codes are related with RAM. However, I can boot just fine. For further reference this is the RAM I have.

Since inside of my case is stacked up a bit, I tried to guess what I had seen on the recording, used an external site and compared what I had seen. If necessary I may record the codes again and even upload here&update this post.
9 REPLIES 9

aceisme
Level 10
[As far as I'm aware of, this MB does not have any speaker on it so there is no beeping sounds coming from it. I've never heard any beeps on any BIOS versions I've had, including 3101.

Menthol
Level 14
I had this happen once before, I don't remember if re updating to the same bios fixed it or the next bios upgrade fixed it or downgrading bios and re upgrading but, you could re flash the same bios version using bios flashback or EzFlash method, or wait until next bios release. I would not recommend upgrading bios over the net.
I always connect a motherboard speaker, if for no other reason than it makes it easier to enter the bios, spam delete key once I hear the beep

Menthol wrote:
I had this happen once before, I don't remember if re updating to the same bios fixed it or the next bios upgrade fixed it or downgrading bios and re upgrading but, you could re flash the same bios version using bios flashback or EzFlash method, or wait until next bios release. I would not recommend upgrading bios over the net.
I always connect a motherboard speaker, if for no other reason than it makes it easier to enter the bios, spam delete key once I hear the beep

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention one thing on my first post. I actually tried flashing the latest BIOS more than once. However I hadn't downgraded meantime. Then I decided to gradually downgrade the BIOS. The order was like this by the way: 3703 > 3504 > 3201 > 3101. During upgrade and downgrade processes I have tried EzFlash utility from storage device.

****UPDATE****
Apparently I updated to the latest version then managed to downgrade to the stock version by using the Flashback method. I managed to do it with a different USB drive. However this did not solve my issue yet. Guess I'll have to wait.

Koodu
Level 7
I apologize for necroing the thread. But I'd like to make a small update about the condition since there was a recent BIOS update. Unfortunately there hasn't been any change after updating to 3801. What I'm concerned is that do I have to worry about it?

Koodu
Level 7
Updated the first post.

ondersma80
Level 7
Is the "problem" the beep that was once there and now is gone or the codes? If the beep, you have no problem. I have the same board and have no beep. Use the system or go outside and enjoy the day. If the codes, a lot of codes appear during the initialization process. If it returns to a normal working condition code and stays there, and your board is stable, you have no issue. Is there some other issue that is of concern here? I see references to research but can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

ondersma80 wrote:
Is the "problem" the beep that was once there and now is gone or the codes? If the beep, you have no problem. I have the same board and have no beep. Use the system or go outside and enjoy the day. If the codes, a lot of codes appear during the initialization process. If it returns to a normal working condition code and stays there, and your board is stable, you have no issue. Is there some other issue that is of concern here? I see references to research but can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

The problem is the beep was there and now it's gone. Permanently. I thought it'd return after downgrade but it didn't. As for codes I wrote above, they only appear while booting up. Otherwise I see A0 only after POST is complete.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Whatever previously was generating a beep if no external speaker was connected it was not the motherboard. As noted above the board has no speaker nor any other type of audio generating device. There is no issue here regarding the lack of POST beeps.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Whatever previously was generating a beep if no external speaker was connected it was not the motherboard. As noted above the board has no speaker nor any other type of audio generating device. There is no issue here regarding the lack of POST beeps.

Interesting. I had migrated some hardware from my previous mobo H110M-K which also had same beep. Among the hardware there were the processor, hard drives and my DVD drive. Still, I'm really curious about what might have been the source of it. And all I did were Meltdown&Spectre updates and the BIOS update(s). Of course I can always get a PC speaker for the POST beep, but source of this beep had been bothering me for quite some time. As in why it disappeared.

Also check this: