cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Start Up Voltage Setting?

briconz
Level 7
I think this should be a quick question...

Which voltage in the bios would I adjust if I wanted to adjust the system's start up / power on voltage? If there is such a setting? Or is it just the core voltage?

Reason I'm asking is I think that I may need to up the juice just a tick. Sometimes my system won't fully boot up (code 00 after pressing the power button. power it down manually, and power it on again and it boots up no issue)

Just wondering if there's a setting i can tinker with, and if it's even a good idea to do so. The above situation usually arises if I've had my system off for 2+ days, there's a 25-50% chance that it happens.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi briconz

Please list your complete system specs, it could be due to ram instability.

Chino
Level 15

Thanks for the response guys - i've actually been on here before and thought i had remedied the problem. Everything seemed to be smooth sailing once i swapped out my Corsair RAM for G Skill RAM. I had also remounted the heatsink as well to make sure it was secure - not overtightened, not undertightened.

After about 3 weeks of no issues, i had gone away for a long weekend, came back and turned my system on and the old girl threw up the "00" code again. I was pretty surprised, everything seemed to be going so well!

So to answer the first question, system specs...

i5 6600K w/ an H60 for cooling
Maximus GENE VIII
G Skill RAM F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (4x4GB)
PNY 480GB SSD
GTX 980 Ti FTW
Seasonic X 850W
Asus AC56 Wi-fi
Running Win 10 home
All within an Air 240 case
Fans etc etc

So, thought i had all the compatibility things ironed out. And then this happened, so i went back to the drawing board. I had seen people say they disabled surge protection and even the SVID control in BIOS and that helped them with stability. So i went ahead and disabled surge protection, system starts fine, no issues. Then i went to disable SVID, and the system would not boot past the splash screen...

So that's how i came to the voltage question. With SVID disabled, i get to the splash screen where you can hit F2 to enter bios, then that disappears and goes to the screen where the 5 or 6 little white balls circle around as the system loads, and it's at that point it locks up. No blue screens or anything, just a complete freeze.

When i turn SVID back on, no problems, it boots up fine. So i'm wondering if there's some complication with the voltage regulation, DIGI, or something. As i understand it, this function communicates the input voltage to the CPU, so wondering if there's some instability there.

It does seem odd that when this is disabled it locks up during boot, no?

Yes sir - this occurred with the latest BIOS installed.

ondersma80
Level 7
You can adjust the CPU Boot Voltage in the External DIGI+ Power Control submenu of the Extreme Tweaker menu.

After updating to 1701 I had some issues with restart. Every other time I restarted or powered on cold, it failed with a CPU_LED and code 41 on the motherboard. If I press reset, it boots normally. It occured a few times, tried clearing the CMOS, and it persists. I am not currently running an overclock as I always update at stock and test before re-engaging my overclock. I have been through my usual RealBench and HCI memtest tests with no errors but the behavior continues. I just tried bumping the CPU startup voltage from Auto to 1.18 and it has booted a dozen times in a row. That is what brought me here. I have a lot of things to test out but something seems strange.

Ondersma - thanks for the reply. Any idea what the default boot up voltage is? When you changed it from auto to manual did it just populate the default number automatically in there and then you just incrementally increased it +x? I'm not in front of my computer now, so can't test this just yet. But curious to see if this may help in my case.

Thanks again

ondersma80
Level 7
In Windows, on auto settings, the CPU runs at 1.248 and drops to 1.200 under load. When I view the voltages inside the BIOS the core voltage either read(past tense) 1.14 or 1.248 prior to the adjustment. After, it always reads 1.248 in the BIOS, even though I set 1.18. I freely admit I do not understand the full workings here.... I am not sure if in the BIOS it should read the boot voltage or if that only is in play during the very first power on POST so wouldn't display in the BIOS. All I know at this point is after applying the update I had issues with power on and restart that resulted in a CPU LED and code 41. After some baseline stability tests I found changing that setting from Auto to 1.18 fixed the problem. I have to finish my entire round of stability testing but I will probably perform a fresh installation and see what happens there.

Nate152
Thank you for your system specs, you can try setting the start up voltage anything up to 1.25v should be good. If that doesn't help, it could be your ram is unstable, here was another user experiencing the same thing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84670-Random-code-00

If code 00 continues try raising the vccio and cpu system agent voltages a little.