cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sparkle from Fan header

I-Siamak-I
Level 7
Ok something bad happened last night, I have all 6 fans inside ny case connected to my case 6 channel fan controller, last night I tried to plug the fan controller PWM cable to my MB Fan_3 header ( originally was connected to CPU fan header per case manual ) and i did that while PC was running and then boom...... a small sparkle from the Fan_3 header or the fan hub PWM cable ( not so sure ), system works just fine and i inspected the entire ports and MB and cant see any sign of damage anywhere, my OCD is really bothering me, should I be worried? Would you replace the MB? Please advise....

Edit: Burn smell was coming from the Phantek 6 channel fan hub PWM cable
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Yikes !

If everything is working then it seems no damage was done but was a close call if you smell something burnt.

If everything checks out I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm pretty sure the chassis fan headers only run in DC mode, the cpu and cpu_ opt are the only true pwm fan headers.

I-Siamak-I
Level 7
From very close inspection the burn smell was 90% coming from the cable of 6 channel fan hub not the Motherboard and I even checked the fan header on the board and it works fine, I'm just worried that something might gone bad that I can't see and feel.

Nate152
Yeah it would probably scare me a little too seeing some sparks and smelling something burnt lol, I think the worst case scenario would be a burned out fan header but if it's working it sounds like it's all good.

Chino
Level 15
Looks like you overloaded the cable with too many fans perhaps. Or it was a defective cable to start with. Hard to tell.

Chino wrote:
Looks like you overloaded the cable with too many fans perhaps. Or it was a defective cable to start with. Hard to tell.

So my computer been running pretty flawless for days and been gaming and all, should I assume nothing happened to the board it self and it was just the fan hub?

Menthol
Level 14
Sounds like your very lucky